• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatchers' world record bid (BBC News) (2 Viewers)

What a boring bunch of carbonite killjoys have crawled out the woodwork on this thread - do they really have such a dull life that they will begrudge others who have the balls to go out and do something actually pretty exciting.

I don't think it's exciting. I think it's a trivial goal.

What a boring bunch of carbonite killjoys have crawled out the woodwork on this thread - do they really have such a dull life that they will begrudge others who have the balls to go out and do something actually pretty exciting.

In short, the world is still a very good place, it is an amazing place ...no problem if you don't want to travel and see it, but give it a passing thought when taking a single blinkered vision of environmental issues. I for one don't want to live in a low carbon world, if that means it is also a monoculture of nothingness.
I couldn't have put it better myself! Hats off to ya Jos :t::t::t:

I met Alan at a reserve and I needed to go into town....he didn't know me from Adam and was good enough to offer me his bike (a very green gesture I'd say). Good luck to them both, they don't need anyones approval as far as I'm concerned.:t:

As ever words of wisdom Jos!

Well perhaps not wisdom but I agree with you!

Looking forward to reading more of your trip love the pics so far!

I don't think it's exciting. I think it's a trivial goal.

If you can't wish these people well, then it's better not to say anything at all. The original purpose of the thread was about a couple of birders doing something exciting - yes EXCITING - not to bash them over the head because they are using a form of transport that some erroneously believe to be the root of all ills. :C

If you can't wish these people well, then it's better not to say anything at all.

Is it? Then maybe they shouldn't court publicity and donations? It's a bit of a cheek to spend all your cash on CO2 and global twitching while asking others to stump up the donations for the rainforests to make it look like you're doing it for charidy. Their own money is going on kerosene. They want YOURS for the cloudforests!

Last edited:
Is it? Then maybe they shouldn't court publicity and donations? It's a bit of a cheek to spend all your cash on CO2 and global twitching while asking others to stump up the donations for the rainforests to make it look like you're doing it for charidy. Their own money is going on kerosene. They want YOURS for the cloudforests!

And I'm quite happy to pay for the cloudforests, and have done so. I have been to the cloudforests myself, yes, using kerosene (aviation fuel) to do so.

I don't have a problem with these people and I don't see why others have either. I am, however, fed up with all the flaming and slagging that's going on here. So they're travelling and building up their world lists while doing so, and raising some dosh along the way - so what?!

And I'm quite happy to pay for the cloudforests, and have done so. I have been to the cloudforests myself, yes, using kerosene (aviation fuel) to do so.

I don't have a problem with these people and I don't see why others have either. I am, however, fed up with all the flaming and slagging that's going on here. So they're travelling and building up their world lists while doing so, and raising some dosh along the way - so what?!

Yeah, it's fine as long as you think that "building up a world list" is a good reason for 2 conservationists to be doing all those flights. None of the climate groups thinks it would be, I'll wager. And you could pay for the cloudforest without them doing it. Why does it take 2 twitchers for you to put to put your hand in your pocket (or them) if it's so important?

95 posts, perhaps 10 of them from 2 people politely and reasonably questioning the wisdom of such a venture and being roundly insulted for it.

Thanks for the effort James and Poecile, I am sure there are many others share your concerns.

Well, my hat is off to these two birders, hope they have a right good time, a fantastic thing to do.

This is simply not true - there are vast portions of the globe now surviving only due to their value in bringing in the tourist dollar, pound and euro. Across Africa and elsewhere, conservation is not a luxury most nations can afford as a simple duty, it survives as a source of income. Many African countries have significant portions of their land protected in reserves, the reserves only safe as they generate such significant revenues from tourists fying in. Not only state national parks, but the multitude of private reserves being created - being created, not merely protected. Go to southern Africa and see how many former ranchlands have been converted into gameparks, restocked and protected at immence cost - this would not happen without tourism. There are entire species whose very existance is tied to reserve.

PS. So far this year I have already flown many thousands of kilometres, should I feel guilty, well if I listened to the rants of the carbonies, maybe. But if the world actually listened to them in their entirety, we would not only be bored out of our brains, but the world would be a far worse place, biodiversity lost and habitats destroyed. On my latest trip of sin, I visited Uganda - I think 16 % of its land is in reserve and more under community schemes to promote ecotourism. Bwindi, home to 350 of the world's Highland Gorillas owes its future security to tourism ...that's more than 35% of the world population and all of the others are also in areas protected and supported by tourism, the only ones seriously thought to be at risk are in the national parks in Congo where conflict is limiting tourism. Even outside reserves and beyond community schemes, there are many examples where locals see the value of wildlife and limit activities to disturb/destroy the wildlife and instead seek to protect it.

In short, the world is still a very good place, it is an amazing place ...no problem if you don't want to travel and see it, but give it a passing thought when taking a single blinkered vision of environmental issues. I for one don't want to live in a low carbon world, if that means it is also a monoculture of nothingness.

:clap::clap::clap:

Hi all

However, for anyone thinking this is a major undertaking, i'd suggest reading this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seven-Year-...start=1&qid=1200055350&sr=1-1#customerReviews . It might put the journey into a bit more perspective, and would certainly please anyone who was concerned about their carbon footprint.

Thanks for that, I have ordered this interesting looking book!

I still ask the question "Why should we save anything for future generations, what have they ever done for us?"

James

Thanks for that, I have ordered this interesting looking book!

I still ask the question "Why should we save anything for future generations, what have they ever done for us?"

James

I suppose that in a roundabout way there is one answer to that. One of the main characters in the book is a certain Mr T Grant, son of David, who went on to find a certain Purple Martin on Lewis.

Bit tenouous to say the last, but i'm trying!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back