• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Difference between birding and bird watching? (1 Viewer)

Maybe this example may capture the essence of the distinction between the two:

Birdwatcher finds a bird in October in the UK - gets a good look and thinks its a flycatcher (maybe!) and then hopefully works out its a Red-breasted Flycatcher but is not totally sure. Mentions it casually to someone they meet in a couple of days.

The same bird seen well by a birder (who would be well aware of the potential of scarce birds in Oct) would quickly scrutinise the colour of the upper tail coverts etc. to see if it was in fact a Taiga Flycatcher - if it was, then (big!) news would be put out straight away by phone or social media (once the birder gets over the shaking ;)). If it was a Red-breasted Flycatcher they would be sure and quickly put the news out locally as many would like to know.

The above is not a criticism of birdwatchers at all - we all love our nature! :t:

NB; a birder is not only interested in rarer species by any means!

Last edited:
It seems to me that birders need very good memories for the taxonomy and general identification,or is it method? I have a terrible memory!

Birders or people who call themselves birders take themselves more seriously; you don't actually have to be that good at it to self-designate yourself as a birder ... ;)

(Try not to admit to stroking any robins in public though ...)

It seems to me that birders need very good memories for the taxonomy and general identification,or is it method? I have a terrible memory!
I think for most people, it's simply the result of practice (just like other ID skills). That, and lists, like Andy said. Especially if your life list grows beyond a certain point.

I think for most people, it's simply the result of practice (just like other ID skills). That, and lists, like Andy said. Especially if your life list grows beyond a certain point.

And just like anything else, the younger you start, the easier stuff sticks in your head.

I still remember stuff like my first Blackcap when I was about 10 and I learned the scientific names of most of the common British birds by about age 12.

Even with a good memory, the modern trend for splitting and renaming is a real problem!

A

Maybe the most extended equivalent for "birdwatching" among birdwatchers in Spain is the colloquial "pajarear". But the rest of the people don't use it. "Ver aves" is employed in some guidebooks. I guess it is one of many terms related with wildlife that doesn't have an equivalent in Spanish (for us this hobby is much more recent)

Shakespeare already mentions "going a-birding". Although not an expert, I cannot recall something similar in our literature. In fact "estar a pájaros" an expression that in literal translation is similar to Shakespeare's quote, means being absent-minded, that gives a clue of what people traditionally thought about our activity ;-)

In Spanish I can never remember if I "mirar los pajaros" or "ver las aves": I admire your chickens...

Last edited:
One imples a casual interest, just touching the surface; the other is total immersion (sometimes to the point of obsession) :t:B :)

But what's the difference between a "bird watcher." and a "birder.", and a "bird watcher" and a "birder", respectively?
Always glad to enlighten, as I am probably even more pedantic than you: the punctuation is correct according to the US convention (and Jim M is American).
I remember being surprised about this when I read the guidelines to publish in an American journal.

Always glad to enlighten, as I am probably even more pedantic than you: the punctuation is correct according to the US convention (and Jim M is American).
I remember being surprised about this when I read the guidelines to publish in an American journal.
How weird can they get!! :eek!: :eek!: :eek!:

Yes, in English English, if the whole sentence is inside the quotation marks (or brackets) then the full stop goes inside as well; (if not, not).

Shakespeare already mentions "going a-birding".

I suspect that would be hunting birds, rather than studying them ;)

When I first started taking my bird watching seriously, I was surprised to find the term birding being used, and was actually very uncomfortable using it myself. When I was a lad, the term birding was exclusively used to describe the activity of egg collecting. Maybe it was a local thing, but it has taken me a while to get used to using the term for bird watching.

Also, I did read an article that stated bird watcher is the general term that covers three categories of watcher. The twitcher, the birder and the dude. The dude being someone who has all the gear, but no idea. :t:

Last edited:
Also, I did read an article that stated bird watcher is the general term that covers three categories of watcher. The twitcher, the birder and the dude. The dude being someone who has all the gear, but no idea. :t:

Must be a regional thing, when I was a lad and my interest was in it's infancy, as many of my generartion it started with egg collecting which was referred to as 'nesting'

A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back