• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Back' Button issues (1 Viewer)

birdboybowley

Well-known member.....apparently so ;)
England
Anyone else having problems with using the back button to return to previous pages? Sometimes it goes straight back but more often than not it doesn't do anything but stay on the page. It's getting really rather annoying now so not sure if it's me or there is an issue? Can't keep replacing mouses.....8-P

One thing I meant to ask you. Do you open pages in a new tab? Then the back button wouldn't work.

It sounds more like your browser Adam. Which one do you use?

No problems here.

Did have somewhat similar problems a while back, but it wasn't restricted to any one website, and was due to an eventually fatal rodent illness - getting a new rodent sorted it.

No problems here.

Did have somewhat similar problems a while back, but it wasn't restricted to any one website, and was due to an eventually fatal rodent illness - getting a new rodent sorted it.

Excuse my ignorance but what the heck is a fatal rodent illness?

Excuse my ignorance but what the heck is a fatal rodent illness?

When the mouse, rat, hamster, or whatever other rodent you have attached to your computer dies 8-P

My current rodent is reported to be a 'Logitech Mouse', but it's more the size of a rat than a mouse, so their claimed identification is incorrect :eek!: :-O

Anyone else having problems with using the back button to return to previous pages? Sometimes it goes straight back but more often than not it doesn't do anything but stay on the page. It's getting really rather annoying now so not sure if it's me or there is an issue? Can't keep replacing mouses.....8-P

I get this frequently. If you hold the back button down (on internet explorer - I can't comment on other browsers) you get a list of previous pages. I often get a list of double ad click rubbish or similar that have come from I know not where - not just from this website. Fortunately, you can choose the relevant page you want from the list

HTH

Gordon Hamlett - author of The Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands

Hey guys, thanks for answers.
I'm on Firefox and it's only been an issue for about the last week.
Nope, I don't open new pages on new tabs
Gordon - I'll try the hold down/drop down option when it becomes temperamental, ta

LOL Adam... no idea why I suggested your browser... silly idea.

Maybe the batteries are dying in your mouse though?

Hi Adam

As this isn't really a 'Site' issue for Birdforum, I'm moved your thread to the Computer Forum.

Hey guys, thanks for answers.
I'm on Firefox and it's only been an issue for about the last week.
Nope, I don't open new pages on new tabs
Gordon - I'll try the hold down/drop down option when it becomes temperamental, ta

I also use firefox. I find it faster to open in either new tab or window and simply close it again when done. That way I do not have to wait for the previous page to load again.

Niels

Well it's still happening...alot!!
Even when I right click the back button to get the drop down menu it's completely full of the page I'm on...even though I've not reloaded it at all or gone anywhere else...?!
In fact, whenever ANY page opens in BF the little blue circle is usually continually turning in the tab - hardly ever see the BF bird symbol
Bloody annoying!

What OS are you using and how much RAM do you have?

Sounds to me like you have 2 issues; back button and little blue circle (loading icon).

As for the loading icon, this could be a product of the computer hardware and/or your add-ons; not enough RAM and/or too many add-ons, slowing down the browser, not configured correctly.

In my experience, the back button (as well as other keyboard/mouse functions) tend not to work when:

1. Batteries going out on wireless keyboard/mouse.

2. When using an aftermarket wireless keyboard/mouse. Meaning if your PC came with wireless keyboard/mouse and you replaced them with some other brand. An example, it's best to use a Dell keyboard/mouse with a Dell PC. If the PC came with a hardwire (USB or PS2 connector) keyboard/mouse it is best to stay with that configuration.

As for the loading icon, you get this blue circle because it's taking a long time to load the script on the page you're trying to view.

If you are running a number of add-ons and they are not configured correctly, this will hang up a page from loading.

If you are using multiple adblockers, script managers, flash controls, and pop-up blocker it takes getting use to them (configuring) before you achieve the desired effect.

Do you get this loading icon on other sites or just BF?

I can't speak to how this effects BF. If they have a lot of scripts/ads with banners or pictures, I don't seem 'em.

If you're getting this loading icon regularly, on all pages, you might also want to check you system configuration. For W10, hit your Windows key, scroll down to Run, select Windows System, select run, type msconfig, hit OK. When the system configuration window opens you can check to see what's running on your computer; start up and services. You may just have too much stuff running in the back ground eating up your RAM.

Sorry to hear you're still dealing with this.

Good Luck My Friend.

Adam,
I would like to repeat what I said earlier: probably better to get used to open new pages in new tabs or windows rather than using the back button all the time. I only do the latter when on the ipad and it is a pain in the a..

Still, have you tried deleting your browser and reinstalling it from a fresh download? that might do the trick.

Niels

I get this frequently. If you hold the back button down (on internet explorer - I can't comment on other browsers) you get a list of previous pages. I often get a list of double ad click rubbish or similar that have come from I know not where - not just from this website. Fortunately, you can choose the relevant page you want from the list

HTH

Gordon Hamlett - author of The Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands

Thanks for that tip Gordon - been using I.E. for more years than I care to remember - but I never knew about that :t:

I wonder if it is a RAM problem Adam. You may want to give PaleMoon a go (a sister site to Firefox but 'stripped down' apparently, whatever that means). I barely notice the difference between them and it's easy to transfer all your bookmarks and Colourful Tabs is available too (for the moment anyway)!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back