• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stonechat (1 Viewer)

For the past two or three years we get a Stonechat visiting our garden in the last two weeks of August. I have never seen one anywhere near where I live other than this one at the end of August. What are they up to ?

I regularly see them down on the Northumberland coastline just in from the dunes. But never inland - so why would we get one for the same couple of weeks in our garden ?

It'll be young birds out exploring, looking for a new home when their parents send them packing (technical term: post-breeding dispersal).

I would go along with this post breeding dispersal but they are not a bird I ever see in this area apart for the one that as visited us for the last 2 weeks in August for the past few years. Presumably if they are young looking for new territory they must decide this is the wrong place and head back to the coast.

Yep, that, or back to the hills - there's quite a lot of Stonechats in the Cheviots and other hills now, after the run of mild winters in the last 4-5 years. But you're right, gardens are not their normal habitat, so they won't stay.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back