• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (15 Viewers)

Hi.
Had yesterday at holme NOA and holme marsh, I did not see as much as other people have reported i think it would help if i done more birding but time do not allow it.

On the marsh 3 marsh harriers, curlews, widgeon, teal. on the pond kingfisher,cormaront,mallard.

Maybe one day i would be able to tag along with somebody more experanced to help with sightings and identification?

And last of all a message for connor, don't forget to do your shoe laces up!! Hope this means something to you connor.

Barry.

Managed to watch the sea off the end of the beach road yesterday from 7 'til 8:15, highlights being 4 Pomarine Skuas and single Little Auk west. Single Bonxie and Arctic Skua noted too. Also a nice selection of wildfowl through. Up to 150 Common Scoter passed westward and c.60 looked quite settled on the sea, feeding. Two other smaller flocks looked less settled but hopefully some will remain through the winter and attract some Velvets or Long-tails.

Single Grey Wagtail west as well and a Common Redpoll was seen later in the day south of the village...

James

morning everybody,
hope everyone had lots of fun with poms, lil auks etc this week.
Intrigued if anyones got any thoughts on what caused the passage, numerous books say that Poms stick mainly to the coastal shelf and only get blown close inshore by strong winds, the wind was fairly light i thought this weekend mainly coming from NW (ideal). Was it that something was happening 'further up' to cause such a large passage of kittis (with the poms in tow) or was it that they are heading south anyway and these were good calm conditions to migrate.

Looking on magicseaweed.com looks like there are now NW strong winds (big reds and scarlets!) forecast later this week and so i reakon anyone who missed out has still got a chance with poms and compared with last year very few lil auks have gone through so far. Could the weekend just be the start of a huge passage - hope so!

Just more questions concerning this fascination with the phenomena of migration.

Theres also a couple of interesting big Pipits at Salthouse. the consensus is DEFINITELY that theY are Richards but the one i was watching was small, hunched and shuffling, with very faint streaking on the face and mantle, short tail and smallish bill - almost a bit like a recent fledgling - it had elements of Tawny and Blythes, apparently there is an Eastern race of Richards called Doricus? and they usually turn up later than typical Richards but certainly quite an interesting birds, theres at least 3 birds there possibly more.

Nothing really unusual about Poms migrating this time of year they are usually later than the other Skuas.There have been some big movements of Poms in Nov before. Nov 1985 there were hundreds flying past the east coast.But October 1992 there were thousands seen down the east coast.At Seaton Carew just south of Hartlepool on October the 9th 1200 flew past.Well if the weather forecast is right i expect there will be more Poms and Little Auks passing down the east coast.Never know might get a early Ivory Gull or Ross'sGull turning up somewhere.

Last edited:
Spent an hour and a bit walking the dog around a couple of favourite fields here this afternoon and saw Stonechat and 2 newly arrived Woodcocks. A flock of c.60+ Snow Buntings with 14+ Laps were seen several times in flight only...

James

Seawatch off Kelling Hard between 13:15 and 14:00 had 2 Woodcock in off, 2 Velvet Scoters west with 25+ Common Scoters, 4 Red Throated Divers, 6 Razorbills on the sea, 1 drake Goldeneye, 4 Gannets and good few Lapwings and Starlings passing. Also saw a Jack Snipe fly over the marsh, and 2 of the Richards Pipits in the same place as the other day. Debated with myself as to whether there was any point in putting the news out, and finally phoned RBA with the location etc. Of course, as soon as I did they both promptly dissapeared without a trace. Bloody typical. Luckily not many people were interested in turning up, so I only had to explain to a couple of people.

Jason

Theres also a couple of interesting big Pipits at Salthouse. the consensus is DEFINITELY that theY are Richards but the one i was watching was small, hunched and shuffling, with very faint streaking on the face and mantle, short tail and smallish bill - almost a bit like a recent fledgling - it had elements of Tawny and Blythes, apparently there is an Eastern race of Richards called Doricus? and they usually turn up later than typical Richards but certainly quite an interesting birds, theres at least 3 birds there possibly more.

There's a couple of photos of this bird on Surfbirds Scarce gallery with comments: it certainly does look a bit weird, the bill in particular. Given the comment about the long hindclaw, though, and the pale lores, it's got to be a Richards, albeit a strange one.

apparently there is an Eastern race of Richards called Doricus? and they usually turn up later than typical Richards but certainly quite an interesting birds, theres at least 3 birds there possibly more.

watcha mate

sounds like you had a good weekend

the eastern race is dauricus (and another called sinensis) and therse are the ones that make Blyth's id very difficult. Per Alstrom, as referred to in a recent Forktail short note, considers them to be only variants of richardi though.

They are generally smaller and shorter tailed than richardi and there is no doubt overlap with some Blyth's. Calls are the best pointers - Richard's is always explosive and the much rarer, softer 'chup' call, (a bit like a Blyth's) is 'always' given with the explosive call - unlike Blyth's.

Been pretty much grounded due to work and home chores. Hopefully the Poms will still be passing and the Richards pipit's still there on Wednesday. How do I go about seeing this Long eared owl? If anyone as checked my earlier posts you will read that it is my bogey bird. Several times I have tried and several times I have failed. Do I just stand on the beach sea watching and hope someone sidles up to me in a long mack and dark glasses. Then whispers " Do ya wanna see a Long eared Owl"
Happy birding

Hi Penny

I can't open them up. When I try I get the following message.

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

John

Edit

P.S. What happened to the message I replied to. It was there when I replied and disappeared the moment I submitted my reply.

Last edited:
Hi Penny

I can't open them up. When I try I get the following message.

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

John

Edit

P.S. What happened to the message I replied to. It was there when I replied and disappeared the moment I submitted my reply.

I think Penny has deleted her posts.
Still scratching our heads here... others aren't having a problem at the moment. Could be a memory caching problem for Penny.

Photos of Bittern, Long Eared Owl and Pheasant relating to my post 2388 (AT LAST!).

Taken with Nikon ED50 and Nikon P5000.

Cheers Penny:girl:

11.18pm - Have just made pics a bit bigger now.

Attachments

• DSCN0623 BIT 2.jpg
    DSCN0623 BIT 2.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 143
  • DSCN0641 LEO 2 a.jpg
    DSCN0641 LEO 2 a.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCN0576 Pheasant2.jpg
    DSCN0576 Pheasant2.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Photos of Bittern, Long Eared Owl and Pheasant relating to my post 2388 (AT LAST!).

Thats better!!

Even though I'd gladly take a Long Eared Owl over Bittern most days, the Bittern pic is fantastic:t:

Nice to see some more pics on this thread at long last;)

Matt

11.18pm - Have just made pics a bit bigger now.

It was worth the wait Penny. I haven't even seen a L E Owl yet this year and you go and photograph one. :-O

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back