• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (15 Viewers)

Cracking evening at Surlingham, certainly one of my best visits to date.
Between 19.30 and 21.00 I counted 5 reeling Grasshopped Warbler; only saw one! More Reed Warbler have arrived too.
On the lagoon, 6 Lapwing were making a fuss and a closer look revealed 2 Little Ringed Plover, a new bird for the reserve list! A Cuckoo then flew over the reedbed, observed catching an insect mid flight. Getting dark heading back to the car, a Tawny Owl started up. I managed to call it a little closer to me, but my last imitation must have been poor, since he flew off, allowing a brief view! No Terns, but the quality birds on offer more than made up for their absence.
Cheers,
Jim.

Holme Reserves and Titchwell RSPB

Highlights at Holme were several Grasshopper Warblers, Nightingale, Whimbrel, 2 Turtle Doves, Spoonbill, 9 Wheatears, loads of common whitethroats, and a greenshank. Titchwell: 8 Yellow Wagtails, a Wood Sandpiper from Parrinder Hide, a Chinese Water deer.

Full update on blog

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
'Twas fairly quiet at Happisburgh this morning, the early start not meeting expectations. Still, that's birding. Highlights came in the form of a Grasshopper Warbler 'reeling' from a bramble patch in the dunes at Cart Gap, a fly through Merlin and a Sandwich Tern on the sea defences bearing a coded colour ring. Unfortunately it flew away before I was within reading range. Still, that's ornithology. |=\| Also noted were 9 Wheatears, a Whimbrel and my first singing Lesser Whitethroat of the year...

James

Yes! full surely 'twas the Echo,
Solitary, clear, profound,
Answering to Thee, shouting Cuckoo!
Giving to thee Sound for Sound.

unfortunately twas not, or twas that a Gropper mine ear doth detect or twas it indeed thee drone of thee yonder lawnmover, neither! mine kind sir twas indeed thee sound of one fair strimmer. Indeed one doth hath to bless eine keine bootiful clear morn, sing yee hearts out bold migrants from afar lest meine brain go er seriously hairwiry wire oh ha

Dersingham Fen fire

wasn't there a fire along the bypass today on the edge of Dersingham Heath?

It was actually Dersingham Fen that was affected, which is the bit (just in case you don't know already) between the Bog and the village - the bit that was cut off when the bypass was built.

It looks pretty bleak, a good chunk of one side is affected. It's still burning in places and it's perilously close (literally the other side of the road) to the NE corner of my beloved Dersingham Bog. Obviously stuff like Stonechats, Tree Pipits, Groppers, Woodlark are back nesting now and the Nightjars will be back any day, so it's a very vulnerable time and the Bog is tinder dry at the moment.

If anyone is planning a visit to the Bog, I think extra pairs of eyes would be appreciated by the overstretched wardens... mainly keeping an eye for it spreading to the Bog. And given that the first fire was started deliberately, if you see anyone acting suspiciously...

Thanks
Irene

What were you doing on the hut Robert? Thanks John for the earliest date ref. wood sandpiper. Two sleepy spoonbills at Cley and a curlew sand. reported again this morrow. We've had some morons smashing swan's egg nearby, a great shame that some people have to spoil things

Last edited:
Hey Josh, they haven't still got you on oxygen following the Marathon have they?! :-O

Spent an hour and thirty late am/early pm at Barton Broad admiring Black Terns from the viewing platform. Spoke to John W on arrival who told me that the party of 4 had just flown high and none were on show but within a few minutes there were 3 hawking across the broad. Were these new birds or had one of the 4 departed and these were the remainder? Who knows, but they were cracking birds as always and put on a good show as they hawked back and forth, plunge bathed and sat on some floats in the sun. Just as gorgeous (to me at least) were 2 pristine adult Arctic Terns feeding back and forth, often coming in for a close flypast. Also rans came in the guise of 2 high over Buzzards with a Sparrowhawk and a Greenshank which was obviously looking for somewhere to land but failed to do so...

James

One good tern deserves another

Went to Barton Broad to avoid the coast today - to see the black terns.

Connected. Trying to put a newly arrived birder onto two of them (a pair?), when I picked up an unexpected Arctic tern behind them.

This reminded me of my trying to connect with the mobile lesser crested tern in July 2005 on the east coast. Plenty of difficult to access areas / private properties around Sea Palling. Settled on a spot on the dunes and watched the passing terns. The distinctive lesser-crested tern picked out from the regular species.

Titchwell, Choseley and Burnham Norton

Yellow Wagtails, Wheatears, a good seawatch at Titchwell, 10 Dotterel at Choseley, Woodsandpiper again at Titchwell.

See blog for full update.

Last edited:
I am hoping for a Nightingale at Surlingham Johny; I song I miss hearing.
What to say about the Citrine? Must be good to get me twitching! Cracking bird showing down to 15 metres. A late present from Estonia perhaps.............a bird I missed whilst there last week, turns up at East Runton this week!
A quick dive around the patch revealed the 2 Little-ringed Plover and with them a Yellow Wagtail! Marsh Harrier and Buzzard also on the hunt. Gropper reeled on cue as I headed to the car, lovely stuff.
Cheers,
Jim.

White spotted Bluethroat and Citrine Wagtail!!!

Only just home at 8.45pm. What a cracking day!!!

Found and photographed the White spotted Bluethroat this morning at Welney. Had to then have a little detour;) to East Runton. I was going that way anyway, honest!

CITRINE WAGTAIL - a unbelievably stunning male - along with yellow wagtails, wheatears etc. Took tons of photos! The light was horrible though and it was freezing cold and misty. The bird went missing for a long time, people left who had not seen it at all, I refound it at 3.17pm much to the delight of several people and resulted in me being given three kisses!;) - phoned RBA straight away.

Beeston Bump, found a stunning Whinchat at 7pm sitting on a bush in the evening sunshine.

See full update on my blog now, including Pete Snooks' Video of the Citrine Wagtail. My pictures to be added tomorrow!

Last edited:
3 Common Terns, 3 Turtle Doves, 1 male Cuckoo and 1 Common Sandpiper at Denver Sluice - a solid couple of hours this morning.

Also good numbers of warblers - is anybody else noticing this? More than last year I'd say; at least 20 Whitethroats holding territory, and 7 Lesser Whitethroats now too.

This is citrin(a), too !

In what was superb timing, I managed to miss The Waggie by a quarter of an hour. Frustratingly, I was able to log its continued presence on the internet from the 1st class lounge at Schiphol and could not have been driven back from Norwich Airport any sooner.

However, here is a bird with almost the same name, yellow and black head and white outer tail feathers from my trip to TX.

My eyes are still hooded from the effects of jet-lag.

Attachments

• 691pse_edited-1sm.jpg
    691pse_edited-1sm.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back