Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1534 votes, 4.98 average.
Old Sunday 8th July 2007, 17:17   #1526
teamsaint

three questions:

1) can anyone recommend any good campsites in north norfolk?
2) when do the monties leave?
3) are there any honey buzzards at swanton novers this year?

thanks,
tom
Old Sunday 8th July 2007, 21:10   #1527
Kevin Groocock

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsaint View Post
three questions:

thanks,
tom
Hi Tom

(1) I use Crossways, Little Snoring, Nr Fakenham (01328 878335). Good (small) site but basic facilities. Ideal for getting to all the best sites, coast and inland.

(2 & 3) I am sure someone will give an answer.

Good Luck

Kevin
Old Sunday 8th July 2007, 21:20   #1528
Kevin Groocock

Quote:
three questions:

thanks,
tom
Hi Tom

Another campsite right on the edge of Stiffkey Marsh - Stiffkey Campsite, The Greenway (01328 830235).

Lots of expensive entertainment sites (if you are interested) at Hunstanton, Wells and Cromer.

Regards

Kevin
Old Sunday 8th July 2007, 21:37   #1529
aythya_hybrid
real name Jonathan Dean

Reasonable day today in Norfolk. Quail singing at Choseley, and excellent views of the Orioles at Lakenheath. The latter was made all the more amusing by multiple failed, and a few successful, attempts to point out the orioles to people present, given that the young bird was behind a leaf most of the time and the male only made sporadic visits.
Old Sunday 8th July 2007, 22:24   #1530
Peter Dolton

Small point the Orioles are in Suffolk
Old Sunday 8th July 2007, 23:09   #1531
Happisbirder
Always looking, seldom finding...

Late afternoon Cart Gap to Happisburgh with the dog saw Little, Common and Sandwich Terns, a couple of Gannets each way and a dark phase Arctic Skua marauding offshore.

And thanks for the HB info Jason...

James

Me and my BUBO listing; a work in progress!

Last edited by Happisbirder : Sunday 8th July 2007 at 23:17.
Old Sunday 8th July 2007, 23:59   #1532
Edward woodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frootshoot View Post
Late afternoon Cart Gap to Happisburgh with the dog saw Little, Common and Sandwich Terns, a couple of Gannets each way and a dark phase Arctic Skua marauding offshore.

And thanks for the HB info Jason...

James
er... absolutely ditto James

plus a few Fulmars and Kittiewakes

curlews over the house a.m.

Tim
Old Monday 9th July 2007, 00:37   #1533
bitterntwisted
Graham Howard Shortt

Quote:
Tom,

(1) Deepdale Farm, see http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=89261, (2) & (3) not for a while yet and Great Ryburgh, see http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=89525

Graham

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 9th July 2007, 10:12   #1534
aythya_hybrid
real name Jonathan Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dolton View Post
Small point the Orioles are in Suffolk
I don't dispute that.... however, all my birding yesterday took place on Norfolk soil, including watching the orioles (although, as you correctly point out, the orioles themselves were in suffolk).
Old Monday 9th July 2007, 13:08   #1535
Norfolkbirder
Vizmigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aythya_hybrid View Post
I don't dispute that.... however, all my birding yesterday took place on Norfolk soil, including watching the orioles (although, as you correctly point out, the orioles themselves were in suffolk).

Not trying to be a smart arse here but for clarification. I understood the border at this point is the river "Little Ouse", which if you are stood looking at the Orioles is to your north, hence you are stood in Suffolk. The reason I am fairly confident is that I was with one of the assistant wardens one night when they were laughing about birds flying over the River and then having to submit their records to both County recorders. I did mange one year to get the GO's on my Norfolk year list however the birds I saw were to the north of the river! Hope this clears up any confusion.

Regards Chris
Old Monday 9th July 2007, 13:12   #1536
aythya_hybrid
real name Jonathan Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norfolkbirder View Post
Not trying to be a smart arse here but for clarification. I understood the border at this point is the river "Little Ouse", which if you are stood looking at the Orioles is to your north, hence you are stood in Suffolk. The reason I am fairly confident is that I was with one of the assistant wardens one night when they were laughing about birds flying over the River and then having to submit their records to both County recorders. I did mange one year to get the GO's on my Norfolk year list however the birds I saw were to the north of the river! Hope this clears up any confusion.

Regards Chris
sorry, sorry, yes, you're not wrong. Just logged on now to correct my mistake! I too once saw one fly over the river into Norfolk and back again.
Old Monday 9th July 2007, 18:50   #1537
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Dreadfull weather in Norfolk today, did manage to get to Strumpshaw Fen for a few hours ~ only the hobby and two Grasshopper Warblers heard near the fen hide were of note, a young Coot followed a Grass Snake swimming across the water was quite ammusing to watch ~ seen from the fen hide.

Still a few Avocets at Buckenham with Oystercatcher and a few Redshanks, two Little Egrets were also seen by the old pumping station by the river.
Not the best of days for insects but the usual were seen between the thunder/lightning and torrential downpours.

Matt

edit

How could I have forgotten the Bearded Tits!, two females and one male put in a great appearance with good long close views in front of the fen hide ~ these birds don't come easy on this reserve!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	buckenham etc (Custom).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	93474  

Last edited by matt green : Tuesday 10th July 2007 at 16:41.

Old Monday 9th July 2007, 19:45   #1538
lomond

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Moss View Post
Male Golden Oriole present all day at Lakenheath Fen, tending to a single chick in a nest, just visible from the raised footpath. You get pretty decent views through the scope, but only if you know exactly where to line up your scope, to the inch! The bird is pretty much invisible otherwize, and it wasn't calling. Beautiful bird though. Thanks to the ppl who helped with directions. Also saw 3 Hobbys, including one pirched and calling bird, 2 Marsh Harriers and a Kingfisher

Then onto Weeting Heath (obviously). 8 Stone Curlews calling and flying about, which was nice to see. Also present were a singing Spotted Flycatcher, 3+ Green Woodpeckers and a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Jason
Hi Jason.
Could have been standing near you on sunday also watched young oriole and male feeding it, also marsh harrier's, but only 1 hobby, but 1 sparrowhawk, 1 greenwoodpecker flying near car park.

Should have gone to weeting the same as you but we went to mayday farm waste of time except for a nice yellowhammer singing, so went to lynford also waste of time. will try up on the coast next time out.

Barry.
Old Monday 9th July 2007, 19:55   #1539
teamsaint

thanks for the replies guys
Old Monday 9th July 2007, 20:18   #1540
Andy Benson

Quote:
Hi Chris.

Only just spotted your post. I've visited Arnolds marsh a couple times recently, to see the Roseates (failed both times!). However, I know the young tern your talking about, and I had it down as an Arctic Tern, based on the short legs and the structure of the head, with the short bill. There was no mistaking the bill length, with easy comparison with Commons. However, you are no doubt more experienced that I am, so is bill length/head shape and structure the best thing to go with when looking at young Commic Terns?

I didn't consider the carpal bar, as I didn't know it was a distinguishing feature (live and learn. Not massively experienced, lol). I also dont remember seeing the bird in flight, I'm afraid. However, I thought that Arctics also possess a carpal bar; just not usually as bold as in a Common?

Jason
Not exactly on the ball with this one but this was the initial bird that caused a bit of confusion.
Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 046.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	93490  
Old Monday 9th July 2007, 21:35   #1541
Penny Clarke

Late posting of sightings for:

Saturday 7th July - Holme 11.20am

Stunning sunny day, have not been to Holme for about 3 weeks, serious withdrawel symptoms!!!

Attempted to take my shiny new car down the Firs road and made it over the nasty ramp near pay hut!!!

Had a quick chin wag with Jed, Sophie, Ken etc etc and then went straight over for seawatch. Saw 6 turnstones going west, 11 gannets (at least) going west, 1 sandwich tern, 18 little terns - all close by shore and feeding, beautiful to watch, 1 fulmar west, 1 cormorants east, 1 manx shearwater west, few black headed gulls, 1 brilliant view of med gull over my head (almost). It was so wonderful just to sit on the dunes on a sunny day and soak up the scenery, with the waves crashing on the shore and terns diving for fish - I never tire of this magical place. Back on the reserve, several red admirals, small tortoiseshell, 1 comma and 1 greenshank flew over. Lots of banter and glorious sunshine. Finished up with a raspberry ice cream from the NWT Firs House.

Saturday 8th July

Silver studded blues (lots) at Buxton Heath.

Best Wishes Penny
Old Monday 9th July 2007, 22:33   #1542
NoSpringChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt green View Post
Dreadfull weather in Norfolk today, did manage to get to Strumpshaw Fen for a few hours ~ only the hobby and two Grasshopper Warblers heard near the fen hide were of note, a young Coot followed a Grass Snake swimming across the water was quite ammusing to watch ~ seen from the fen hide.

Still a few Avocets at Buckenham with Oystercatcher and a few Redshanks, two Little Egrets were also seen by the old pumping station by the river.
Not the best of days for insects but the usual were seen between the thunder/lightning and torrential downpours.

Matt
That's a beautiful photo, Matt. I hope you had some waterproofs handy though, looking at that sky. There's not a lot of cover round there.

I spent a lot of my youth, many years ago, sailing at Buckenham and in those days the river was a foul open sewer. It is now a lovely fresh river with masses of wildlife including the water lilies shown on your photograph. It's great to see some things so obviously changing for the better.

Ron

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 9th July 2007, 22:53   #1543
Edward woodwood

Had a lovely evening walk on the beach with the greyhound tonight to view the terns and gulls on the reefs with the dog. Emperor Dragons in the dunes and a few Brown Hawkers etc. Little, Common, Sandwich terns, four Common Scoters, Kittiewakes etc...

Found lots of rather large Jellyfish washed up tonight on the beach at Sea Palling

anyone know the score here?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image048.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	93526  Click image for larger version

Name:	Image046.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	93527  
Old Monday 9th July 2007, 23:21   #1544
matt green
Drunken Hearted Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpringChicken View Post
That's a beautiful photo, Matt. I hope you had some waterproofs handy though, looking at that sky. There's not a lot of cover round there.

I spent a lot of my youth, many years ago, sailing at Buckenham and in those days the river was a foul open sewer. It is now a lovely fresh river with masses of wildlife including the water lilies shown on your photograph. It's great to see some things so obviously changing for the better.

Ron
Thanks

And unfortunately not!! ~ I got drenched!

Regarding the river, the assistant was telling me how the river (tidal salt water) flooded over into much of Strumpshaw broad last october killing off much of the fresh water fish etc ~ hence very few Kingfishers at the reserve at present.

Thankfully the water is now pretty much back to normal (partly thanks to so much rain water and fresh water being pumped into the broad) so hopefully Kingfishers will return to the area as the fresh water dependant fish and invertebrates recover, not sure how all this effected the Bitterns but did hear two booming males here early summer.

Tim

...fantastic looking Greyhound you've got there!

Matt

Old Tuesday 10th July 2007, 00:07   #1545
J Moss

Hey Lomond.

May have been there. I was the young one

Weeting is good because the Stone Curlews seem pretty active throughout the day, especially as it cools down in the evening. Also next door to Lakenheath Fen.

Is Mayday Farm famous for anything in particular? I've never heard of it.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomond View Post
Hi Jason.
Could have been standing near you on sunday also watched young oriole and male feeding it, also marsh harrier's, but only 1 hobby, but 1 sparrowhawk, 1 greenwoodpecker flying near car park.

Should have gone to weeting the same as you but we went to mayday farm waste of time except for a nice yellowhammer singing, so went to lynford also waste of time. will try up on the coast next time out.

Barry.
Old Tuesday 10th July 2007, 00:12   #1546
J Moss

I think thats the one. I reckon it is an Arctic, going by the short legs and bill.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Reveller View Post
Not exactly on the ball with this one but this was the initial bird that caused a bit of confusion.
Andy
Old Tuesday 10th July 2007, 08:22   #1547
Reader

Quote:
Is Mayday Farm famous for anything in particular? I've never heard of it.

Jason
It's well known for it's Goshawks and it is situated a few miles south of Brandon.
Here is a link to where it is on the map.
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...=newsearch.srf

John
Old Tuesday 10th July 2007, 08:52   #1548
Viv Connett

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomond View Post
Hi Jason.

Barry.
I was also there Sunday morning watching the youngster climbing about on a branch - we were there from about 7.30 to 9.30...........
Old Tuesday 10th July 2007, 09:26   #1549
KayD
Ochruros

Hi All,

I was going to ask the same question as Teamsaint re camping but my question has been anwered now thanks! :) Hoping to come this weekend (weather permitting, as has been the case this summer).

We will be staying at the Burnham Deepdale Campsite. I have two more questions;

1. Could someone please PM me details of the Monty's site? We would like to have a look at them, if they are not too far. Also what are the best times of day to go?

2. Is this a good time of year to walk out to Blakeney Point?

Cheers
Old Tuesday 10th July 2007, 09:39   #1550
kittykat23uk

This might be better posted in suffolk birding but as the Golden orioles have been discussed, here, I thought I'd post it here. I'm thinking about trying to get out to Lakenheath/Weeting this Saturday. Are the Golden Orioles and Stonies likely to still be around? Also as I am keen to get more use out of my digiscoping set up would be interested to know whether, with a 60mm scope 20x eyepiece and 3x zoom on the camera, I would be likely to get close enough to get a reasonable shot of either species (luck of the draw I know but I'd like to get a feel for how close they are to the viewpoints).

Other option I'm considering is Minsmere. I still haven't got dartford warbler. Are there any at Minsmere or do I need to fit in a stop at Dunwich?

Thanks

Jo
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: