• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kings Norton Nature Reserve (2 Viewers)

Found a few Redwing feeding locally but could not get close enough....

Also a lot of activity on Mercroft as I passed and I could see both Male and Female Goosander there....have to have a closer look another day.

Keith :t:

Attachments

• Canon 230 062 A.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    Canon 230 062 A.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 77
  • Canon 230 029.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    Canon 230 029.jpg low_filtered.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 99
Hi Keith, I stopped at Merecroft today and saw both the Male and Female Goosander. Also a couple tufted duck. I was most envious of the house with the heron in their garden which backs onto the pool. (I've seen a heron over my back garden and I'm waiting for it to check out my pond) I then checked out the Wychall Res. I have to say that new reed pool is looking good and could be great for a kingf one day!!

You were brave to venture out in the gales and rain.
I stayed in bed till late then went for the Diver at Sandwell Valley.

Yes the reed pond could be good if there are some perches for one.......If anyone from FKNNR are looking in.......perching is also good for dragonflies as well....they also need help to colonise the pond.

Hi Keith, I stopped at Merecroft today and saw the kingfisher. First time it flew into the tree/bush where you got your photo recently then later it was at the other end. It landed on a perch but flew off too quick for a photo. Then it was in some reeds and I couldn't pick it out. Then it flew behind the island. A good display but the rest of the time well hidden. There were approx 8 goosander to start with. I like it how they all dive together, so one minute there is the group together and then when you look again they've all disappeared. Only to resurface together again. A few more flew in and there was approx 15 at the most. I then checked out the Wychall Res. The new reed pool had already attracted a heron!!

Last edited:
3 Male Broad Bodied Chasers and a Female ovipositing at the reed pool @ Peafields by Wychall Road/ Popes Lane...also loads of Blue Damsels.

Can someone confirm what for me is a remarkable sighting of a FRITILLARY Butterfly on the overgrown bank at the bridge over the Rea in Popes Lane.It was a very big one with overall patterning with no black wing tips like a Painted Lady.It went over onto the cyclepath upstream but I could not locate it again.
Could it be a Fritillary and has anyone else had one on the reserve.

Attachments

• New Canon 52 025.JPG
    New Canon 52 025.JPG
    381.6 KB · Views: 74
  • New Canon 52 015.JPG
    New Canon 52 015.JPG
    312.7 KB · Views: 95
From BTO today;
When: 05 Jul 2014
Where: Wychall Reservoir (SP0379)
Who: S Hares
What: Mallard (35), Moorhen (3), Lesser Black-backed Gull (4), Herring Gull (1), Stock Dove (2), Woodpigeon (8), Kingfisher (2), Great Spotted Woodpecker (2), Magpie (6), Jay (1), Jackdaw (2), Carrion Crow (12), Goldcrest (1), Blue Tit (2), Great Tit (2), Long-tailed Tit (4), Chiffchaff (3), Blackcap (2), Nuthatch (1), Wren (13), Blackbird (12), Song Thrush (3), Robin (7), Dunnock (3), House Sparrow (10), Bullfinch (1), Greenfinch (3), Goldfinch (2)

From BTO today;
When: 05 Jul 2014
Where: Wychall Reservoir (SP0379)
Who: S Hares
What: Mallard (35), Moorhen (3), Lesser Black-backed Gull (4), Herring Gull (1), Stock Dove (2), Woodpigeon (8), Kingfisher (2), Great Spotted Woodpecker (2), Magpie (6), Jay (1), Jackdaw (2), Carrion Crow (12), Goldcrest (1), Blue Tit (2), Great Tit (2), Long-tailed Tit (4), Chiffchaff (3), Blackcap (2), Nuthatch (1), Wren (13), Blackbird (12), Song Thrush (3), Robin (7), Dunnock (3), House Sparrow (10), Bullfinch (1), Greenfinch (3), Goldfinch (2)

Just off to K.N for some Dragons/Butterflies......where did you have the Kings....
Cheers
Keith:t:

Courtesy of BTO and S.Hares a very good list for Wychall Reservoir - 13/9/14;
Teal (13), Mallard (11), Mallard (domestic) (1), Grey Heron (1), Moorhen (4), Black-headed Gull (2), Lesser Black-backed Gull (1), Feral Pigeon (2), Stock Dove (2), Woodpigeon , Kingfisher (1), Great Spotted Woodpecker (1), Magpie , Jay (2), Carrion Crow , Goldcrest (2), Blue Tit , Great Tit , Coal Tit (1), Long-tailed Tit (15), Chiffchaff (10), Blackcap (3), Wren , Starling (8), Blackbird , Song Thrush (3), Robin , Dunnock (2), House Sparrow (2), Grey Wagtail (1), Chaffinch (1), Bullfinch (5), Greenfinch (1)13/9/14

Last edited:
10-10-2014, 16:00 - Wychall Reservoir
Inspired by my visit to the River Cole, I had to check out the River Rea and Wychall Reservoir. I was surprised to see 3 heron on the Res!!! Several Mallards on the Rea, a grey wagtail and I reckon I just saw a kingfisher flying off!!

A pair of Wigeon were on Merecroft Pool mid-morning, and a drake Goosander. Also had a heard only Water Rail at Wychall Reservoir, with 10 Teal and a Reed Bunting.

I saw the pair of Wigeon on Merecroft this afternoon....but I.D.d them as Pochard.....Doh...he he...yet another old-timers episode.

The Goosanders were up to 7 ....4 Male types and 3 Female.

Hope there IS a Water Rail at the resa....will have to have a close look.No chance of hearing it though (deaf to bird calls).

Attachments

• New Canon 142 017.JPG
    New Canon 142 017.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 73
  • New Canon 142 056.JPG
    New Canon 142 056.JPG
    340.4 KB · Views: 86
  • New Canon 142 076.JPG
    New Canon 142 076.JPG
    306.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I saw the pair of Wigeon on Merecroft this afternoon....but I.D.d them as Pochard.....Doh...he he...yet another old-timers episode.

The Goosanders were up to 7 ....4 Male types and 3 Female.

Hope there IS a Water Rail at the resa....will have to have a close look.No chance of hearing it though (deaf to bird calls).

Hi Keith - good to hear from you. I took a look last Friday and it was 4 Goosanders. It was great to see them, I'd been waiting. No KF though and what do you think of the clearing of trees? What's that about? (Over the holidays I must find a KFNR KF)

The clearing of the trees is something out of control of the reserve as its something about safety.The trees are thought to be a danger as to eroding the Dam.Not sure if this is just a 1st phase or if it will be left like this.

The clearing of the trees is something out of control of the reserve as its something about safety.The trees are thought to be a danger as to eroding the Dam.Not sure if this is just a 1st phase or if it will be left like this.

Thanks Keith - they are doing something very similar at Leasowes (which despite an early Autumn/Winter KF sighting does not appear to have a permanent winter KF resident - as does a few lakes I am trekking but rivers/brooks seem to - although I am only a couple years into my KF obervations)

Goosander were down to 6 (3M,3F)over the last few days but an increase of Tufted Duck...4 M,1F.
The ever present large amount of BH Gulls still put on a show of squabbling and are joined by a few Larger Gulls (???)

Attachments

• New Canon 145 218 goo1 low.jpg
    New Canon 145 218 goo1 low.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 74
  • New Canon 145 210 tuf 3 low.jpg
    New Canon 145 210 tuf 3 low.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 73
  • New Canon 145 203 tuf 2 low.jpg
    New Canon 145 203 tuf 2 low.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 72
  • New Canon 145 202 tuf 1 low.jpg
    New Canon 145 202 tuf 1 low.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 77
Nice one.....only a few yesterday evening and they were so edgy...they then took off flying towards the K.N. park area.....dashed off to Lifford but they were not there.....could not get here today as shopping and the annual massacre (Man Utd in town).

Merecroft Pool Kings Norton 24-12-2014 10:00
I'd given myself the challenge of finding a Kings Norton NR / Merecroft pool Kingfisher over the holidays and great, I found one!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/15474634463/
On the far side of the pool by the houses, a few metres up, I could just make out a bird flying between branches of the trees. Not typical low flying KF. After I got the shot it went higher up in the trees and after that I lost it. Still 18 goosander which was nice to see with one close to the near side bank, perched on a branch over the water. 4 tufted ducks and a heron.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back