• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HELP/ADVICE needed Please (1 Viewer)

Judo

Please could I ask everyone to please read Ruths thread 'Dying Finches', as I have a very worrying situation in my garden, and would like as much advice as you all can give me. Thanks everyone.
All the Best, from a very worried, Judo.

Please don't worry about it too much Judo, it may not even happen to any of ours anyway.........so long as we all take good care and put the Birds' health uppermost.

Though we do need to take it all seriously, we also know that sometimes things can get a little bit exaggerated at times, so just keep an extra eye out - but please don't worry - if it happens then it does and we'll deal with it as is advised, there's no good worrying about it until that time though. Take care Judo.

Sue

Hi Judo I would think Sue is about right, follow all the advice that is available, and hope for the best. You cannot hope to control this type of disease, it will just run its course, containment of the risk of passing on infection from bird to bird is all anyone can hope to achieve. Also think on Sues comment about how these things can and are often exagerated, wait and see it may or may not turn into a major problem, dont get upset, just do your best, its all anyone can do.

Yours Peter

Judo, I can understand your concerns, but I am sure you are doing everything properly, cleaning your feeders and the surrounding areas. As has already been said, sometimes these things can be overhyped. Remember how earlier this year we were all going to succumb to bird flu? Chin up, Judo.

Hi Sue, Peter & Kits,
Thank you all so much for your support, it is very much appreciated. I've been watching the birds very closely today and all seem healthy and well, thank goodness. Though not many birds are coming still as yet, but maybe that in itself will help.
Thanks again,
All the Best to You All, Judo.

Hi again Judo,

Glad you sound chirpier today (ooops sorry Judo unintentional pun I'm afraid). We're still not seeing so many Birds here either, still that time of year though and we have so many seed fields around us so I'm content in thinking they're being fed by their far more natural food. Maybe yours are in the same situation too, I hope so.

Take good care,

Sue

Hi Judo & everyone,

Oh Judo what a dreadful situation.
My husband mentioned a week or so ago that he had heard something on the radio, but as that was the only reference to it, I thought it may have been an isolated case.
Ive been working & not had chance to log on for a couple of days.

Thank you Ruth, Judo & everyone for the information, links and advise.

I do hope thing dont deteriorate for you Judo, please keep us posted.

Best wishes

Hi Again Sue, & Hi pie,
Thanks a lot to both of you.
Sue I'm sorry I've not replied to you earlier than this. The feeders have been a bit busier today but mostly with H.Sparrows and Starlings, 3 or 4 Goldies and the usual Tits. No Greenfinches at all. No sign of the Blackbirds returning in any number, just getting the odd one or two. But all look healthy, thank goodness! I can only hope it remains so.
Thanks again for your concern,
All the Best, Judo.

Hi Judo,

Please, don't ever worry about always replying or if you do so that it's on time; it won't ever worry me my friend, I do understand that none of us can do things just when we'd wish to.....too busy writing messages about our Birds!! ;)

No Blackies here either Judo, though we've still got loads of Blackberries and other fruit around for them yet, good to see. Only juvenile Greenfinches, 2 goldfinches and Long-tails passing through, otherwise it's a few Tits, Corvids and H Sparrows....and no Chaffinches either and...........it's YOU that has all our Starlings then eh!!! Look after yourself Judo, good to chat. No need for a reply. ;)

Sue

Sorry I've taken so long to catch up with this thread Judo, but happy to hear that things aren't so bad in your garden. I wasn't too sure about a fluffy looking Greenfinch I saw last week, but it seemed ok in itself, and nothing else has happened, so I've not cleared everything out, just kept it clean and disinfected. There is another link to advice about this on BTO at

http://www.bto.org/gbw/NEWS/disease_outbreak.htm

with further links from there for more info.

All the best, Renée

Hi Renee,
No need to apologise, I know you've had a busy Summer, it's just good to 'see' you again Renee, hope you're well? and thanks for the link, I'd already read this but others may not have, and it's always good to have more information. Hope your Greenie is O.K. I've not seen any Greenfinches at all since the poorly one, so....... who knows, we must just keep our fingers crossed and keep the disinfectant busy!!
Hi Sue,
I envy you those Long Tails, I'll swap you some Starlings for those, just tell 'em to pass on through to up here! 'Course I've still got my favourite Jackies, even though they're not coming to the garden for their titbits now, I'm hoping they will again when their natural food is scarcer, and my Friend the Robin came yesterday with a friend of his/her own!
All the Best to You Both, Judo.

Hi Judo & All,
After reading your thread, I read through all the other threads on B.F.
Although Ive seen no evidence in my area, Ive decided to act on some of the advice, especially because of the recent arrival of pigeons in the garden.
Today I took down the bird table & suet feeders. Will remove the seed feeders by the weekend leaving nuts & niger.

My plan is to start feeding again in approx one month or when the first frost comes.

There are plenty of berries in the hedgerow, so fingers crossed, nature will take over for a while.

I'm going to really miss all the activity, but with such high numbers of Greenfinch in my garden, I dont want to take any risks.

Thanks again for raising this issue.

Bye for now Judo & All

Hi guys and Judo.

I have downloaded a fact sheet that i hope may help you all decide what to do :flowers:
Garden Bird Health initiative - Trichomoniasis
Agent:
Trichomonas gallinae is a single cell parasite that can cause a disease known as
trichomoniasis in British birds.
Species affected:
Trichomoniasis typically affects pigeons and doves in the UK. It can also affect birds of prey
that feed on pigeons and doves that are sick with the condition. The common name for the
disease in pigeons and doves is “canker” and in birds of prey the disease is known as
“frounce”.
Since summer 2005, disease caused by a Trichomonas parasite has also been seen in finch
species. As far as we are aware, this is the first time that this has occurred*. Whilst
greenfinches and chaffinches are the species that have been most frequently affected, other
finch species and house sparrows are susceptible to the disease.
An increase in the number of reported disease outbreaks in finches thought to be caused by
trichomonas has occurred during and following the recent spell of hot weather in July 2006.
Pathology:
Trichomonas typically causes local sites of infection to develop at the back of the throat and
gullet.
Clinical signs:
In addition to showing signs of general illness, for example lethargy and fluffed-up plumage,
affected birds may drool saliva, regurgitate food, have difficulty in swallowing or show laboured
breathing. Finches are frequently seen to have matted wet plumage around the face and
beak. In some cases, swelling of the neck may be visible from a distance. The disease may
progress over several days or even weeks, consequently affected birds are often emaciated.
Disease spread:
Trichomonas is vulnerable to desiccation and cannot survive for long periods outside the host.
Transmission of infection between birds is most likely to be by birds feeding one another with
regurgitated food during the breeding season; through food or drinking water contaminated
with recently regurgitated saliva, or possibly, from droppings of an infected bird.
Risk to human and domestic animal health:
Trichomonas gallinae is a parasite of birds and does not pose a health threat to humans or
mammals such as dogs and cats. The parasite has the potential to affect captive poultry and
pet birds.
However, garden birds in the UK may carry other diseases that can affect humans and pets,
for example Salmonella, Campylobacter and E.coli bacteria. The GBHi recommends following
sensible hygiene precautions as a routine measure when feeding garden birds and handling
bird feeders and tables. Following these rules will help avoid the risk of any infection
transmitting to people and help safeguard the birds in your garden against disease (See
Below).
• Clean and disinfect feeders/ feeding sites regularly. Suitable disinfectants that can be
used include a weak solution of domestic bleach (5% sodium hypochlorite) and other
specially-designed commercial products (See Further information). Always rinse
thoroughly and air-dry feeders before re-use.
• Brushes and cleaning equipment for bird feeders, tables and baths should not be used
for other purposes and should not be brought into the house, but be kept and used
outside and away from food preparation areas.
• Wear rubber gloves when cleaning feeders and thoroughly wash hands and forearms
afterwards with soap and water, especially before eating or drinking. Avoid handling
sick or dead birds directly.
Diagnosis: Diagnosis of trichomoniasis in wild birds relies on post mortem examination. The
signs of the disease at post mortem are fairly characteristic, and a variety of tests can be used
to confirm presence of the parasite.
If you wish to report finding dead garden birds, or signs of disease in garden birds, please
call the Garden Bird Health initiative on 0207 449 6685.
Control:
Whilst medicines are available for treatment of trichomoniasis in captive birds, effective and
targeted dosing of free-living birds under field conditions is not possible.
Where a problem with trichomoniasis exists, general measures for control of disease in wild
bird populations should be taken:
• Ensure optimal hygiene at garden bird feeding stations, including disinfection (See
Further information)
• Consider leaving bird baths with standing water empty for a short period. Otherwise, be
particularly vigilant to provide clean drinking water on a daily basis.
• Feeding stations encourage birds to congregate, sometimes in large densities, thereby
increasing the potential for disease to spread between individuals when outbreaks
occur. Where large numbers of birds are sick or dying, consider significantly reducing
or stopping feeding for a short period (around 2 weeks). The reason for this is to
encourage birds to disperse, thereby minimising the chances of new birds becoming
affected at the feeding station. Gradually reintroduce feeding, monitoring for further
signs of ill health.
Prevention:
Following best practice for feeding garden birds is recommended to help control and prevent
transmission of disease at feeding stations all year round.
• Routine good table hygiene (See Further information).
• Provision of clean and fresh drinking water on a daily basis.
• Provision of fresh food from accredited sources.
• Rotate positions of feeders in the garden to avoid build up of contamination in any one
area and pay particular attention to clearing food remains that fall beneath onto the
ground.
Further information:
Best feeding practices should be followed at all times to help ensure that the birds visiting your
garden remain healthy. More information can be found in the GBHi booklet “Feeding Garden
Birds – Best Practice Guidelines” and in the accompanying GBHi leaflet. Details of how to
obtain these publications are available on the GBHi page of the UFAW website
www.ufaw.org.uk. Tel: 01582 831818
* Pennycott, T.W., Lawson, B., Cunningham, A.A., Simpson, V., Chantrey, J. (2005) Necrotic ingluvitis in wild
finches Veterinary Record 157, 360
* Holmes, P., Duff, P. (2005) Ingluvitis and oesophagitis in wild finches Veterinary Record 157, 455

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back