• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arizona hummingbird watching (1 Viewer)

Marie09

Hi,
I plan to go on vacation in Arizona in August or September, I'd like to see a lot of hummingbirds. Is it better in late August than september? I also read that it rains a lot in august, is it true?
Any ideas where to go watch hummingbirds as well?
Anyone went to the Hendrix residence before?
thanks a lot!!

First off, hello and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and administrators.
Arizona is great for hummingbirds in both months. I usually get more in my yard here in SE AZ from mid August through about the end of the first week of September. If we have a good "monsoon" season the rains will last into August - possibly all month, but that hasn't necessarily been the case the last few years. Even if we do have a good one the birding is still great.
I like the Patagonia, Sierra Vista area for hummers. In Patagonia the Paton's yard is still open (Violet-crowned, Black-chinned, Anna's, Costa's, and possibly Star-Throat); Mary Jo Ballator's Ash Canyon B&B is great for a large variety of hummers - and you don't have to be a guest to enjoy the yard. Beatty's Orchard is a high elevation hummingbird site with Blue-throated, White-ears, and others.
I would be happy to help you around the SV area if it is on a weekend. --- and no I am not a guide just a lover.

Hi Marie09,

Lisa got all the main points there. August is a great time to be here for hummingbirds, and everything else. September is also good for hummingbirds, but the peak tends to be the second half of August, and the overall birding is better then, as there are more summer birds still around. The bottom line is you won't be disappointed coming any time in August or September.

A couple of sites to add: Madera Canyon has excellent bird feeders at all three lodges (Santa Rita Lodge, Madera Kubo and Chuparosa Inn), all of which allow the public to view. There are also feeders at various businesses in Summerhaven on Mt Lemmon which give access to the higher elevation species such as Blue-throated and Broad-tailed.

In the Sierra Vista area, definitely visit Mary Jo at Ash Canyon B&B (www.ashcanyon.com) which is the best place for Lucifer Hummingbird, as well as a memorable all round birding and hummingbird experience.

Higher elevation species can be seen at Beatty's Guest Ranch (although the White-eared and Berylline have been absent the past couple of years).

Battiste's B&B (www.battistebedandbirds.com) is a great place to watch hummers. Give Tony a call in advance.

Ramsey Canyon Inn and the Ramsey Canyon Preserve both have hummingbird feeders.

SABO (www.sabo.org) does hummingbird banding events at San Pedro House, mostly Black-chinned Hummingbirds.

In Patagonia, visit the Paton house for Violet-crowned Hummingbird. The Patagonia-Sonoita Creek Preserve also has feeders out.

Don't expect to see Plain-capped Starthroat as it's a big rarity, but it has been seen at Ash Canyon, the Paton house and Montosa Canyon in the past few years, so you might get lucky.

Final thing to add, but an important one. All these amazing bird feeding sites rely on donations to continue. Please make sure you make a donation to help keep these fabulous birding havens open to the public. Thanks!

There's lots more info about birding in SE Arizona on my Arizona Birding Website.

Hope you have a great time!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back