• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2006 - Who is doing what list in the new year? (1 Viewer)

Colin

Axeman (Retired)
England
I keep a British Life List and a list of species seen from my home. I can also work out a county all time list if I had a spare half hour or so. I have been known to do a county year list but over the past two years I have been quite busy, moving home etc. However, this coming year I think that I may do a county year list, and try to add a couple to my life list which has been sstuck :stuck: for some time. All this for me is just a bit of fun. What are your plans in the listing department for the new year? Happy New Year to one and all and good birding in 2006.

Colin

Although i've kept a year list this year, in 2006 I have my GCSE's, so i'm concentrating on boosting my UK list, and I also have a target of 75 for the garden in the year, means I don't have to travel far anyway!!!!

I'll be year listing again - I keep both a UK and Norfolk year list - I'd love to beat my previous best Norfolk year list (250 in 2004), and hope t add some more Norfolk and UK lifers (my last one was back in May).

If you stick all your sightings into a spreadsheet with a bit of intelligent functionality, you can create all sorts of lists at the touch of a button. I have a global list, continental lists, country lists, year lists, past 3 years list (from when I resumed birding after a 10yr break), site lists, earliest for the year list, county list, lists of vagrants by origin. I could go on. Spreadsheets are fab

Happy New Year to you too Colin.

Unfortunately, I've got a kind of listmania, so whilst I don't keep many "official" lists (just patch, garden and year/life) I do record where I see things, with occasionally anally retentive fastidiousness - not to suggest others who do this are "wrong"!!! :eek!:

So... I could give you an "on the way to work" list, a "Blacktoft Sands by hide (and between hides" list, a "going on holiday" list, a "being on holiday" list... ad nauseam!!!

Hey ho.

johnraven said:
If you stick all your sightings into a spreadsheet with a bit of intelligent functionality, you can create all sorts of lists at the touch of a button. I have a global list, continental lists, country lists, year lists, past 3 years list (from when I resumed birding after a 10yr break), site lists, earliest for the year list, county list, lists of vagrants by origin. I could go on. Spreadsheets are fab
Databases are better... or worse, depending on your point of view!!!

birdman said:
Databases are better... or worse, depending on your point of view!!!

Good point, databases are better. Thing is though, my list addiction tends to focus more on statistical analyses, charts etc, suggesting spreadsheet. But I guess you can do all that in Access (or similar) anyway.

An indication of both my sadness and boredom at work (I appear to be the only person here) is that I just tried to regress the number of UK lifers per month on the number of birding trips by month. Strangely, I found no correlation whatsoever. Month of the year is a far more important driver (May, October etc).

johnraven said:
Good point, databases are better. Thing is though, my list addiction tends to focus more on statistical analyses, charts etc, suggesting spreadsheet. But I guess you can do all that in Access (or similar) anyway.
Apparently, although I can't.

johnraven said:
An indication of both my sadness and boredom at work (I appear to be the only person here) is that I just tried to regress the number of UK lifers per month on the number of birding trips by month. Strangely, I found no correlation whatsoever. Month of the year is a far more important driver (May, October etc).
Oh dear...

Mind you, don't give me ideas... I'm at work also!

i gave the "on the way to work" list a go this year but after a couple months i get bored with the same route so go a different way ... which seems to defeat the object really .. i dunno maybe try again

guess there'll definitely be the year one, and i've a couple of local "patches" so maybe give them a go. but maybe it'll all turn into one big (well ok, not that big) list again

This has been a splendid year for me but a very expensive one at that so I am havign to cut back next year.

Was gonna do a canal list but in four years I have only amassed 80ish species so that could become quite a bore. I will pay more attention to the canal though as it is my local patch.

Have decided to do a Devon list and save monies for longer distance twitches for lifers where they are accessible on public transport.

As, hopefully, I will be travelling a bit next year, I am going to try to beat my best year's total so far (508 species).

:scribe: The usual Year, Month and Life list for me, don't do a County list, its been a fantastic year for me and I am hoping for more of the same for 2006. Roll on New Years Day so it can start all over again.

Happy New Year to one and all.

I have a database, which I wrote myself, into which I will put all my sightings so I can have Life, year, County, Patch, Garden etc etc. lists at the touch of a button.

I'll be keeping a UK year list again... but don't expect it to get as high as it has done in the last couple of years. I want to focus more on local birding, so will be keeping an East London list, I think (see www.elbf.co.uk for a definition of the area). No idea what is achievable, so it should be quite interesting.

I'll still be working on the UK life list, though, pushing steadily on towards 400 all being well. So, a year of local birding, interspersed with twitches... or at least that's the plan!

New Years Day List

May BirdRace

Garden

Local Patch

County

District(s) South Tyneside, City of Sunderland, Durham City.

UK (if leave home County)

& self found for those too.

Steve

forgot a few:-

at / to / from work list

Seen during monthly Webs survey.

list of active Long-eared Owl breeding sites during 2006

Territorial Species list for local farm under Stewardship scheme.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back