• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dalian (Jinshitan) Birding Reports (1 Viewer)

Jinshitan August 24, 2010

Back in Jinshitan after a nice holiday in British Columbia and Florida. Took a quick cruise around the area but nothing spectacular today.

Mallard
Striated Heron
Grey Heron
Great Egret
Little Egret
Chinese Egret
Eurasian Kestrel
Whimbrel
Common Greenshank
Common Sandpiper
Black-tailed Gull
Vega Gull
Black-headed Gull
Common Kingfisher
Dollarbird
Brown Shrike
Chinese Penduline Tit
Barn Swallow
Red-rumped Swallow
Chinese Bulbul
Rusty-rumped Warbler
Oriental Reed Warbler
Black-browed Reed Warbler
Vinous-throated Parrotbill
White Wagtail
Grey Wagtail
Greenfinch

Attachments

• water snake.jpg
    water snake.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 149
Quick stop at the Country Club today in bad weather for photography. Saw a group of about 30 Eastern-crowned Warblers and managed some horrible pictures. First real sign of bird movement in the few days I've been back. The big oil spill here in Dalian really has affected my area. Most of it is cleaned up now but the lasting effects will remain for a while.

List from today, nothing fancy followed by some horrible photography:-C:

Spot-billed Duck
Great-spotted Woodpecker
Common Kingfisher
Common Moorhen
Common Snipe
Black-tailed Gull
Little Grebe
Brown Shrike
Black-naped Oriole
Dark-sided Flycatcher
Asian Brown Flycatcher
Great Tit
Red-rumped Swallow
Barn Swallow
Eastern Crowned Warbler
Grey Wagtail

Attachments

• Black-naped Oriole 777778.jpg
    Black-naped Oriole 777778.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Dark-sided Flycatcher 77777.jpg
    Dark-sided Flycatcher 77777.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Eastern Crowned Warbler 7777.jpg
    Eastern Crowned Warbler 7777.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 127
Hi Tom,

I'm just getting back, and hardly have time to look around yet, but glad to get heads up from you about what is moving (and feeling jealous about the oriole). Sorry to hear about oil troubles there.

Thanks for all the news.

Gretchen

Jinshitan August 30, 2010

Was out at one of the golf courses with my family and took the camera along. Many groups of Yellow Wagtail migrating as well as some others.

Attachments

• Blue Rock Thrush 57590.jpg
    Blue Rock Thrush 57590.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Common Hoopoe 4567.jpg
    Common Hoopoe 4567.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 105
  • Yellow Wagtails.jpg
    Yellow Wagtails.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 120
Country Club and the rest of Jinshitan Sept. 5, 2010

Striated Heron
Grey Heron
Great Egret
Chinese Egret
Eurasian Kestrel
Northern Hobby
Peregrine Falcon
Hen Harrier
Japanese Sparrowhawk
Whimbrel
Far Eastern Curlew
Common Sandpiper
Black-tailed Gull
Black-tailed Gull
Oriental Turtle Dove
Dollarbird
Common Kingfisher
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Brown Shrike
Black-naped Oriole
Great Tit
Barn Swallow
Red-rumped Swallow
Chinese Bulbul
Yellow-browed Warbler
Eastern Crowned Warbler
Arctic Warbler
Common Stonechat
Blue Rock Thrush
Dark-side Flycatcher
Asian Brown Flycatcher
Yellow Rumped Flycatcher
Red-throated Flycatcher
White Wagtail
Grey Wagtail
Richard's Pipit

Attachments

• cicada 1.jpg
    cicada 1.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Asian Brown Flycather.jpg
    Asian Brown Flycather.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Dark-sided Flycatcher.jpg
    Dark-sided Flycatcher.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Grey Wagtail.jpg
    Grey Wagtail.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Japanese Sparrowhawk.jpg
    Japanese Sparrowhawk.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 122
Rest of pictures from Sept. 5

I was walking through a dense section of forest today and scared a Striated Heron out of the trees. This is not that unusual in the one particular area that I was. I looked to where it had flown from and saw this nest in the tree. There are many magpie nests in the area but they usually look bigger with more different kinds of sticks than this. Striated Heron breed in the hills about 4-5 kms from the place I was and come to feed along a river near this nest. I know this because there is one flyway that they use to and from feeding and I've seen them with nesting material going to and from. I tried to find the area last spring but ended up being blocked because the forest was too dense but I know the general area. See the picture above. I was wondering if this is what a Striated Heron nest looks like or if it just happened to be sitting on an old Magpie nest when I spooked it. Would they nest by themselves or would they usually be in groups of nests in one area? This was the only nest that looked like this in the area. The magpie nests seemed to be much bigger with more of a variety of nesting materials. Anyone have experience with Striated Heron nests?

Attachments

• Far-Eastern Curlew.jpg
    Far-Eastern Curlew.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Whimbrel.jpg
    Whimbrel.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 112
  • nest.JPG
    nest.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Yellow-rumped Flycatcher.jpg
    Yellow-rumped Flycatcher.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 119
Country Club and the rest of Jinshitan Sept. 19, 2010

Awesome clear day today. Had a cold front pass last night and it brought some new stuff into the area. Of note, there were no Chinese Egrets today in their usual feeding area. I'm thinking they must have left within the last 48 hours.

Species List:

Common Pheasant
Mallard
Spot-billed Duck
Northern Pintail
Common Pochard
Little grebe
Yellow Bittern
Grey Heron
Great Egret
Little Egret
Eurasian Kestrel
Eurasian Sparrowhawk
Pacific Golden Plover
Common Greenshank
green Sandpiper
Black-tailed Gull
Black-headed gull
Oriental Turtle Dove
Common Kingfisher
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Ashy Minivet
Great Tit
Barn Swallow
Red-rumped Swallow
Lanceolated Warbler
Oriental Reed Warbler
Pallas's Leaf Warbler
Yellow Browed Warbler
Chestnut-flanked White-eye
Siberian Stonechat
Asian Brown Flycatcher
Dark-sided Flycatcher
White Wagtail
Grey Wagtail
Pechora Pipit

Attachments

• Ashy Minivet.jpg
    Ashy Minivet.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 123
  • Great Egret.jpg
    Great Egret.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Pacific Golden Plover.jpg
    Pacific Golden Plover.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCN2706.JPG
    DSCN2706.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 104
Hello Tom, Let me introduce myself. I am an, amateur birder & avid bird photographer, based in Shanghai. I recently got in touch with Sid relating to my plans to visit sichuan...and he referred me to yourself, given my current plans to head around Dalian area for birding / photography during the upcoming china national holidays.

I went through your blog, records and pictures and felt great about the effort you have put in documenting bird life around Dalian. It is a great resource for people like us to refer.

I have never visited Dalian before, but based on my internet research am planning to spend altogether around ten days (1st to 10th Oct) around She Dao, HaiMao Dao and Laotieshan. Would appreciate your views around these places. Also, I would appreciate if you can provide guidance on any other places to bird around and what would be a good dalian birding coverage for ten days.

Thank you in advance for your help. This is my first post in this forum, so unsure of conduct code. I just opted to continue on your thread, Sorry, if i was required to create a new thread for such topics.

Cheers & Look forward to hear from you.
Asif

Awesome clear day today. Had a cold front pass last night and it brought some new stuff into the area.

Us too, it was fabulous weather yesterday - but gone this a.m. :-C This has been our dreariest fall in memory.

Thanks for the ashy minivet pic - I'm really astonished you have them there (as we should here) since I think of them as a southern bird. I take it that plover is a juvenile? Nice sparrowhawk picture too!

Asif and others. Here is a few thoughts about Lushun which included Laotieshan.

Lushun:
I have been to Lushun 4-5 times in the last 5 years or so. It is about 2 hours from my house. Because I have two young children, I am often restricted from making trips that far away. My impressions of Lushun is that it will probably become very popular with birders in the future. Looking at a map, you can see why.
I have usually gone right to the main lighthouse that is right on the point of the peninsula where the Yellow Sea and the Bohai Bay meet. On some days you can see the line that stretches out to sea where the two bodies of water join. There are some short walking trails around the lighthouse and generally good views of the area from there as well. I think this is what people mean when they say Laotieshan. I have gone looking for Laotieshan a few times and every time I have ended up at the lighthouse so that must be it.
On the road back from the lighthouse parking lot (there is only one road out and back) is a small dirt road on the right. The turn off is about 1 km from the lighthouse parking lot going back to Lushun on the right. It looks like any side road for agricultural vehicles/animals only. About 200 metres up that road is a decent size man made reservoir that has gradual sloping layers of concrete blocks that make up its edges. The reservoir is in the middle of some farmer’s overgrown field. I have sat on the side of it and watched almost every species of bunting in northeast China come there for a drink in a few hours. With the Buntings were thrushes, finches, siskins, parrotbills, wagtails, minivets, and even a winter wren. This particular day was in November. In early Oct. I think you could watch almost every warbler in north-east china mixed in with a few rubythroats, flycatchers, white-eyes, etc. There are usually some raptors about in the area as well.
I have heard of a new boardwalk along a river that is also located in Laotieshan. I have never seen it but heard glowing reports from non-birders who said there were birds everywhere.
Snake Island, just off the coast has something like 1 snake for every square metre. The BBC wildlife documentary “Wild China” did a fantastic job there in recording exactly what happens. The snakes are Pallas’s Pit Vipers and feed twice a year on migrating birds. Because of the amount of migrants that pass through there, they climb up nearly every branch of every tree and leave just enough room for a tired bird to land. The rest of the year they lay dormant. I have tried to go there a few times but there is little hope. There is always some construction, or military activity, or other excuse. I think for enough money, a person could probably get permission to check it out by boat. There used to be public tours by boat if I heard right.
Clearly Lushun (which is the entire area and the city there) needs to be explored more and probably has amazing stuff. I‘ve heard that there was a banding station there but that could or not be true. Until a few years ago, foreigners were not allowed to be in the area because of a large naval base that is quite near. I was stopped once on the side of the road by a plain dressed policeman who had been tipped off about a foreigner with binoculars! I was also with another group that had their cameras checked to see exactly what they were taking pictures of.

Tom

Hey Tom, Thank you so much for your comprehensive response. I have dropped you a note separately and am firming up my plans for october holidays. Will keep you posted. Also, I was going through the Bird Life International's and found attached IBA (Important Bird Areas) of Liaoning province. Thanks again for bringing to light and introducing these important birding places of Lushun. Take care and appreciate all your support and guidance. Cheers, Asif

Attachments

• Liaoning Province.pdf
    889.6 KB · Views: 144
Country Club and the rest of Jinshitan Sept. 22+23, 2010

Getting some more variety here towards the end of Sept.

Common Pheasant
Mallard
Spot-billed Duck
Little Grebe
Striated Heron
Grey heron
Great Egret
Little Egret
Eurasian Kestrel
Amur Falcon
Eurasian Hobby
Common Moorhen
Pacific Golden Plover
Grey Plover
Far Eastern Curlew
Common Greenshank
Green Sandpiper
Black-tailed Gull
Black-headed Gull
Vega Gull
Oriental Turtle Dove
Common Kingfisher
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Great Tit
Chinese Penduline Tit
Barn Swallow
Red-rumped Swallow
Dusky Warbler
Radde's Warbler
Yellow-browed Warbler
Group of White-eyes flying over, not sure which kind
Siberian Rubythroat
Red-flanked Bluetail
Siberian Stonechat
Asian Brown Flycatcher
Dark-sided Flycatcher
Grey-streaked Flyacther
Taiga Flyacther
White Wagtail
Grey Wagtail
Black-faced Bunting

Attachments

• Black-faced Bunting.jpg
    Black-faced Bunting.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Great-spotted Woodpecker.jpg
    Great-spotted Woodpecker.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Grey Wagtail.jpg
    Grey Wagtail.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 110
Laotieshan --Lushun

I had one of those days today that is most likely a once in a life time experience. I was right at the end of the Liaodong penninsula at Laotieshan near Lushun at 8 o'clock this morning expecting to photograph migrating raptors and others. What happened had me laying on my back on a piece of concrete with my eyes to the sky. It started the second I got out of my cab at the gate to the lighthouse park right where the Bohai Bay and the Yellow Sea meet. There were two Grey-faced Buzzards cruising the crest of the last hill before the mountains tumble into the sea. These are good records in my area and so had me excited. Without too much thought I headed up a small hill where there was a better visibility of the area. When I got to my spot I was watching an Amur Falcon overhead through my binos when I noticed many dots in the background, higher up in the sky. Oriental Honey Buzzards, hundreds of them. I have seen these many times before migrating in a rough line stretching from one horizon to another on a nice late September day over land, but this was something else. I started counting after realizing that as the clouds moved, they were literally everywhere above me. The morning haze came and went and each time revealed hundreds upon hundreds of Honey Buzzards moving out to sea towards the Yantai Penninsula and further south. Hundreds turned into thousands in the first 20 minutes of watching and it didn't stop from 8:30-1:30! Groups of 15-75 moving steadily high in the sky. Soaring in waves upon waves. They reminded me of a kite festival where the sky is full of semmingly motionless obstacles. There were also many other species. Eurasian Sparrowhawks were everywhere. I witnessed about 15 wagtails, minivets, or pipits get killed right in the valley in front of me by sparrowhawks or hobbies. Amazing, amazing, amazing

Amur Falcon -- probably close to 500 including many adult males.
Northern Hobby -- easily over 500
Peregrine Falcon -- about 50
Osprey -- 17
Oriental Honey Buzzard -- I have no idea how to count. Let's just say many many thousands. I will never see something like that again. At any time there were between 50-150 moving steadily in the sky for 5 hours over my head.
Black-eared Kite -- 250
Eastern Marsh Harrier --25
Hen Harrier -- 10
Chinese Sparrowhawk -- 15
Japanese Sparrowhawk -- 150?
Eurasian Sparrowhawk -- close to a thousand if not over.
Northern Goshawk -- 100
Grey-faced Buzzard -- 50

There is a birder from Shanghai coming tomorrow morning and I hope there are similar numbers tomorrow so he can also report this and it's not just me saying this. Truly a wildlife spectacle. I have plans to return this Friday for the whole day. One thing I was expecting after I saw what was hapening were some Eagles. Not one. There have been Eagles reported there by some Chinese birders but there were none moving today.

Laotieshan will be the next Beidaihe in terms of popularity for northern China. I've said this before and now it is confirmed more in my mind. I have been there in the spring and fall now and each time it is amazing. It is about 2 hours from my house and hard for me to get there with such good birding right here in Jinshitan but I have to go there more now. They are building a high speed train almost right to the spot from downtown Dalian that looks like it will be finished in a year or two. If you look at a map of Liaoning Province, Laotieshan is near the city of Lushun and right on the tip of the penninsula. I would be happy to provide directions and info about getting there. I'll attach some pics but really it's hard to capture this on camera.

Tom

Attachments

• Black-eared kites.jpg
    Black-eared kites.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 122
  • Chinese Sparrow Hawk.jpg
    Chinese Sparrow Hawk.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 137
  • Oriental Honey Buzzard.jpg
    Oriental Honey Buzzard.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 124
Fantastic report Tom!

I remember looking long at that headland when I was studying in Beijing but never got anywhere near going - Sounds like a completely awesome day and far beyond anything I ever saw at Beidaihe in terms of numbers.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back