• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallow, Hawk, and Goose IDs (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
OK, so I have more birds to ID! Don't be afraid!

The first three are of a Hawk I saw flying towards a tree near Stissing Mountain, NY. At first, the bird, flying away from me, appeared to be a Pileated Woodpecker. What I mean by this is that the undersides of the wings had elipsical white patches, not unlike the white patches on the uppersides of a Pileated's wings. Even though the hawk is partially blocke by branches, I have faith in fellow members to correctly ID this hawk.

The second bird (4th picture) is a swallow. I have ID'd it as a Tree Swallow, but I wanted an expert's opinion.

The third bird (5th picture) is a goose. I have neared a conclusion that this could be a Graylag Goose, but, like the swallow, I wanted an expert's opinion.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Hawk ID 1.jpg
    Hawk ID 1.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Hawk ID 2.jpg
    Hawk ID 2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 182
  • Hawk ID 3.jpg
    Hawk ID 3.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 198
  • ID Swallow.jpg
    ID Swallow.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 201
  • Goose ID.jpg
    Goose ID.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 195
Seems the Broad-Winged Hawk is the most likely choice. Thanks again, oldsquaw!

Hi there,
Would agree with Van,seem to be(left to right):Broad-winged Hawk(clearly not an Accipiter,and underparts pattern wrong for Red-tailed etc),Tree Swallow(all white underparts incl.face rule out other hirundine species in the region) and domestic Greylag Goose.
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back