• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bad picture challenge (1 Viewer)

Dawsy

There don't seem to have been many of these quizzes lately so I thought I'd post a few of my very worst photos as an ID challenge (actually I have worse but they'd be lost causes). All but one were taken in the UK but I won't say which one or where unless it proves too tricky.
Michael

Attachments

• Bird1.jpg
    Bird1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 204
  • Bird  2.jpg
    Bird 2.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 194
  • Bird3.jpg
    Bird3.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 257
  • Bird4.jpg
    Bird4.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Bird5.jpg
    Bird5.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 216
Dawsy said:
There don't seem to have been many of these quizzes lately so I thought I'd post a few of my very worst photos as an ID challenge (actually I have worse but they'd be lost causes). All but one were taken in the UK but I won't say which one or where unless it proves too tricky.
Michael

I'll start the ball rolling this time! (or would have done had not GV beat me to it)

1. Willow Warbler
2. Twite
3. Pied-billed Grebe (I'm guessing this is the one you didn't take in the UK)
4. Possibly early Monet - or else a White-tailed Eagle taken through the bathroom window
5. It's a Peregrine - no a Kestrel - or an Elder bush - wait, wrong thread. It's a Hobby

There's been a correct guess for all but no 3 which is the none UK (US) one (I think it looks most like a rubber chicken). The white-tailed eagle wasn't through a window but was my very first attempt at digiscoping when I hadn't got a proper adapter and was using a really crappy tripod in a gale

logically, it must be:
1. Willow Warbler
2. Twite
3. Pied-billed Grebe
4. White-tailed Eagle
5. Nightjar

(sorry, Andrew, if this is correct, but: a DIPPER usually flaps its wings under water and doesn't paddle with legs!)

The bill on three is definitely that of a duck, and seems to have a dark nail? Or am I imagining things?

Perhaps you could give individual scores Dawsy?

Hey - and they're not guesses, they're educated assimilations of the visible features!

GV

Actually everyone who's guessed has got 3 right (I think, not sure what Dave B's guess for no 5 was in the end) and still no correect answer for no 3.
Michael

Dawsy said:
Actually everyone who's guessed has got 3 right (I think, not sure what Dave B's guess for no 5 was in the end) and still no correect answer for no 3.
Michael

My answer for #5 was Hobby. Did you say that #3 was taken in US?

Dave

Dave B said:
My answer for #5 was Hobby. Did you say that #3 was taken in US?

Dave

In that case, to rather give the game away, you got 4 right. Rather better than I would have done on the same pics I suspect. No 3 was indeed taken in the US.

Michael

now i see the evidence of white in wings for:
least grebe!
hence combination must be:

1 willow w.
2 twite
3 least grebe
4 white-tailed eagle
5 hobby

?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back