• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pied or White (1 Viewer)

Pete Robberts

Seen This Bird Today In A Ploughed Field Near Bridgewater.
I Think im going to go for White But Not To Sure.
Thank You

Attachments

• pwww.jpg
    pwww.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 187
  • pwww1.jpg
    pwww1.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 160
Flanks seem pale, back looks pale enough (but the pics are overexposed of course...).
In the Netherlands, I wouldn't look twice and call it White.

I would say White. Pale flanks and back.
I attached for comparison two pics with White Wagtails taken in Romania on 15 and 16 october...

Attachments

• IMG_7163m.jpg
    IMG_7163m.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7208m.jpg
    IMG_7208m.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I would say Male Pied Wagtail - first Autumn - due to the black colouring on top of the head and the black colouring around the neck

If it was Male White Wagtail - 1st Autumn - the head colouring on top of the head is a lot greyer, with the black colouring around the neck.

This information is according to the Oxford Book of Birds.

Ask a question here. How likely is a White Wagtail to be found in UK? Are they common visitors?

I would say White. Pale flanks and back.
I attached for comparison two pics with White Wagtails taken in Romania on 15 and 16 october...

Hi Cristian

They are hard to work out. The pictures are slightly washed out.

The first picture in post #1 shows the Wagtail with a very light silver grey back and the second a darker back. So that is confusing.

I also see that the black colouration different on both Wagtails. Your pictures show that the White has less black around the head area, and a larger black bib.

So as you say it is a White Wagtail, due to the pale bodyparts

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back