• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird ID, USA (1 Viewer)

bobsofpa

The below photographs were taken in November, 2000 at the Arizona-Sonaora Desert Museum in Tucson, Arizona.

Yes, in 2000. I did not even have a bird book then and was shooting slide film that I scanned. In my records I have this bird with 3 different IDs.

Need help.

Attachments

• 400-853cem Calliope Hummingbird.jpg
    400-853cem Calliope Hummingbird.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 400-854cem Rufous Hummingbird.jpg
    400-854cem Rufous Hummingbird.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 99
No responses!!! This has never happened on any of my previous ID requests. In fact, I do not ever remember seeing a "0" response to any ID request in this forum.

Obviously, this is a little tricky or you would have gotten more response the first time. That you saw it in November (and presumably not in their hummingbird aviary) basically eliminates all but Anna's and Costa's. A better view of the underside would help, but from the jizz I'd guess Costa's. I don't get into the specifics of primary projection etc. with hummingbirds, so someone else might have a different opinion.

The length of wing nearly to tail tip, and especially the short tail, and slightly decurved bill say Costa's to me also.

Cordially,
Marie

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back