• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

Have returned from my holiday to North Yorkshire. My new Canon E0S 40D and Canon 400mm f5.6 came to good use, with plenty of pictures of birds taken. All birds photographed were common, but its always good to start with the commoner species! I have made a Flickr account (josephbirdphotography), which I will link below and includes the pictures I took of birds on the holiday, and is also linked in my signature. If you guys would like to take a look, that would be much, much appreciated, as well as any feedback you may have. If you do have any feedback, either comment on the photos themselves or comment in here. Thank you very much!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/josephbirdphotography/

Also on the last day of my holiday I met up with Andrew Kinghorn and successfully saw my first Long-eared Owl, as well as seeing a distant Honey Buzzard at Wykeham Forest earlier on that day, another lifer for me.

Its been a last good week or so, and I'm hoping to get a lot more photography and birding done as Autumn approaches.

Cheers,

Joseph

Last edited:
Hi everyone, joseph i love your swallow photo, iv posted 2 new posts on my blog so please have a look when you have got time.

Well, what a holiday! I loved every minute of it- Sea watching at gwennap (and being invited into the coast watch tower there WOW... brilliant), Marazion,the lizard, cape cornwall...

One of my favourite parts was the scillonian boat trip. Pretty msty on the way out, but manx shearwaters showed well close to the boat. It cleared up as we reached St Mary's and we ended up walking around that island. We did not see anything out of the ordinary, but we were suprised at how close the song thrushes came. On the way back it was amazing. We sat next to some people who were intrested in wildlife and we began watching for anything. We watched a pair of manx shearwaters fly about 3 feet abouve the water before descending and diving in for a short amount of time and reurning to the surface. They repeated this twice before flying off. Then a basking shark was spotted, and we waatched that, before noticing two bottle- nosed dolphins. Many more manx shearwaters and gannets later, we saw a feeding group of gannets in the distance. As we got closer, we spotted a pod of about 50 common dolphins feeding there too, along with Storm Petrels and Shearwaters.

Another suprizing thing was how soon we saw kingfisher- our 6th bird of the holiday.

For anybody that may be remotly interested 3 new blog posts on blog from way back in june/july, featuring Garganey, multiple Hobby, multiple black tailed godwit, flock of little egret, and greenshank and loads of other little birds all you high listing, coastal birders out there wont be interested in;):-O
this is patch working at its finest :p
MB

Got back from a week away in Crete last night, not a birding holiday so only a pitiful 33 species seen over the week however 10 of those were lifers: Griffon Vulture, Lesser Kestrel, Ruppell's Warbler, Subalpine Warbler, Eatern Orphean Warbler, Short Toed Lark, Crested Lark, Cory's Shearwater and Italian Sparrow. Also got some great views of a family of Audoins Gulls and going to upload a trip report with photos on my blog in the coming days (I hope ;))

Hi everyone, the last time I posted on this thread was a year and a half ago, but I can still remember some of you! Since I 'left' my life list hasn't improved very much (if at all) which is slightly worrying! I'm in pembrokeshire at the moment, only good birds seen so far are 11 med. gulls and a peregrine... but I should be going to strumble soon and I'm going to stay on skomer in a week or so, so I should see stuff there, hopefully!

Indeed, lets keep up the continuity of this thread folks, we wouldn't want it to die, would we? :t:

I have very recently created a photography blog on blogspot.com, seperate from my 'Birding Blog', as the latter I am just too far behind with to mantain any sort of interest. :-O This new blog of mine is dedicated to my photography with my Canon 40D and Canon 400mm, and includes mainly photos rather than text. It is newly created, and only has a couple of followers, so is need of some boosting in terms of popularity. If you do happen to use blogspot and you enjoy the blog, I would be very greatful if you would follow my blog, and maybe add it to your blog list if you have one of them or a list of links to blogs. In doing so I can get feedback and views, etc, which I would much appreciate. Any feedback you may have on the photos or the blog may be posted in the comments box on there. Below is a link to the blog. ;)

http://josephnphotography.blogspot.com/

Thanks very much,

Joseph

Nice blog Joseph,

Incase anyone doesn't know already I also have a blog that is regularly updated. Sometimes several times in a week, it is mainly about birds and my outings but the odd time other content does creep in to keep my followers interest in my blog going: http://www.andrewkinghorn.blogspot.com

I also have a Flickr album with my digi-scoping photos, I also have some photos taken with my big lens and SLR camera. Though I don't have many photos on their taken with my SLR: http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewkinghorn/

:t:

Hey long time no see folks. Recently I have taken a break off of birdforum as I have been busy training but im back now o:D Most of you probally dont remember me! :-O

Nice day at rspb Saltholme, seeing my first british Whiskered Tern, 2 spotted Redshanks, Ruff, Ringed Plovers Golden Plovers and many other waders around. Looking forward to spain, so many birds over there I am hoping to see!!!

Nice day at rspb Saltholme, seeing my first british Whiskered Tern, 2 spotted Redshanks, Ruff, Ringed Plovers Golden Plovers and many other waders around. Looking forward to spain, so many birds over there I am hoping to see!!!

I was there too. Seem to have missed you.
Did not get the Spotted Redshanks but the Whiskered Tern was fantastic especially when it flew right in front of the car as we drove out.

Did not get the Spotted Redshanks but the Whiskered Tern was fantastic especially when it flew right in front of the car as we drove out.

I'm heading there on Monday so hope it sticks around and puts on as good a show for me!

Oh, just seen this, after i put something on the other thread.
Great bird, saw it on the road too. I was there when the redshanks were found. Great birds, and they were showing well.

I'm heading there on Monday so hope it sticks around and puts on as good a show for me!

I wouldn't worry Jonny. It looks pretty settled.

Its nice to see so many folks coming up my way to birdwatch.:t: I've seen the Whiskered Tern 4 times now, and once with the White-rumped Sandpiper. Its interesting to see how the bird has changed since it first arrived, I thought I had missed my chance with a Whiskered Tern when I missed the 2 down Teesside last year. Just goes to show I should never say never.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Just to say I have recently posted an entry in my new photography blog. If you would like to give it a read and give it any feedback on there that would be much, much appreciated. Being a novice photographer any advice is very welcome, seeming I'm endeavouring to get much more interested in bird photography. This entry includes a few photos of some Ospreys I saw at the Ythan on the Saturday. If you like the blog, also feel free to add follow it or add it to a blog list. :t:

http://josephnphotography.blogspot.com/

Thank you all,

Joseph

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back