• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (6 Viewers)

Hi everyone, im setting of to tunisia for a week at 10:30, hopefully ill get some birdin in

Cool have a great time mate :t: Not been doing birding for a few days but went for a walk yesterday with my parents along the sea front at fleetwood and had at least 9 Wheatears on the golf course, a sure sign of migration.

Got a day out planned for monday, Pennington Flash during the day to try and get the pair of Black Necked Grebes that have been around, also a juvenile Little Gull there and hopefully if it sticks around a Grey Phalarope. Then on the way back stop of at Alston Reservoirs to try and get the Ring Billed Gull that has been roosting recently. That would be 2 lifers and 2 yearticks if all goes to plan

Hello everyone im new here. At the minute I am not that much of a serious birder, with only 96 on the lifelist, which I've seen on holidays to Scotland, Norfolk and France as well as at home. Next year me and my dad are going to try and see as many British birds as possible in 2011!

Hello everyone im new here. At the minute I am not that much of a serious birder, with only 96 on the lifelist, which I've seen on holidays to Scotland, Norfolk and France as well as at home. Next year me and my dad are going to try and see as many British birds as possible in 2011!

Hi Andrew,

I'm Andrew:-O hope you and your Dad see what you would like to over 2011. British birding is fantastic in my opinion.:t:

Hey Andrew welcome to birdforum :t: always good to have a new young birder join us on this thread. As the other Andrew says (this is going to get confusing :-O) I hope you have a great year in 2011 and see lots of target birds. Out of interest what interesting species are on your life list so far?

best regards, jonny

Well I'm not sure that many are particularly rare (that Im aware of) but the 5 least common that I've seen are Purple Heron, Hoopoe, White Stork, Capercaillie and Red-Backed Shrike. Having said that, all but the capercaillie were seen in central France.

Hi andrew welcome to birdforum,

just got back, i didnt really do any birdin, the only birdin i did was around the hotel and the main birds was great grey shrike, i dont now if they wer but spotless starlin, a couple of beeaters and some herons wat i dont now wat they are yet.

Well I'm not sure that many are particularly rare (that Im aware of) but the 5 least common that I've seen are Purple Heron, Hoopoe, White Stork, Capercaillie and Red-Backed Shrike. Having said that, all but the capercaillie were seen in central France.

Some nice birds there! welcome too! hope you get all the birds you want next year. Do you have anything specific you want to see?

welcome to the thread Andrew :t: just to let everyone know im back in the uk for a week at the moment and will be going Norfolk for a few days on wednesdayo :D

Also been birding today at my local patches but the weather was a tad crappy so not alot was around : Redstart, Yellow wag, wheatear, Sandwich tern, Grey plover, Dunlin, Marsh harrier, Sprawk, a spattering of hirundines etc etc ;)

keep this thread up guys! I have had a pretty good time birding as of late. Been up to Norfolk where I saw my first Wryneck at Cley marshes and an Artic warbler at Holme NOA. Then got the ferry from portsmouth to Bilboa, Seawatching was pretty awesome with 4 lifers seen - Sabines gull close to the boat, Sooty shearwater, European Storm petrel and a dodgy looking Pom skua. Bonxies, Manxies, Corys shearwater, Turnstone, Common tern, Wheatear, Ringed plover and a Barn swallow were also seen. I am now in northern Spain at the sec and while dads been driving ive seen two lifers - Black stork and Short toed eagle. Along with non lifers like Griff vulture, Red kite, Common Buzzard, Crag martin and Zitting cisticola. Im pretty happy ;)

Last week was very good with:
1 Barred Warbler (seen in the hand)
2-3 Firecrest
2 Wryneck
loads of Pied Flycatchers, Whinchats, and Redstarts.

Dipped out on a reported Citrine Wagtail at South Gare (NYorks) but was quickly waved over whilst looking for wagtail as some birders discovered a Broad-billed Sandpiper whilst I was on the beach looking for the wagtail. Sadly not a lifer or a year tick but a fantastic little bird! Black Tern in Northumberland was nice to see but slightly dissapointed it wasn't the White-winged Black Tern reported earlier in the day.

Dipped Western Bonelli's Warbler today, can't win them all!

Uni starts on Monday coming, that should well and truly clip my wings!:-C

Hey Andrew, nice to see another new face (or avatar :p) on here. I haven't been doing too much birding this last week as school's started again and I already have a load of work, now I'm in 6th form I do get the odd opportunity to have an hour off and check the local park though which has yielded chiffchaffs etc, nothing too exciting. Certainly not like Kinghorn's birds of recent. Oh for a week at the coast!

keep this thread up guys! I have had a pretty good time birding as of late. Been up to Norfolk where I saw my first Wryneck at Cley marshes and an Artic warbler at Holme NOA. Then got the ferry from portsmouth to Bilboa, Seawatching was pretty awesome with 4 lifers seen - Sabines gull close to the boat, Sooty shearwater, European Storm petrel and a dodgy looking Pom skua. Bonxies, Manxies, Corys shearwater, Turnstone, Common tern, Wheatear, Ringed plover and a Barn swallow were also seen. I am now in northern Spain at the sec and while dads been driving ive seen two lifers - Black stork and Short toed eagle. Along with non lifers like Griff vulture, Red kite, Common Buzzard, Crag martin and Zitting cisticola. Im pretty happy ;)

Sounds like you had a wicked trip TJ, I did the boat earlier this summer but unfortunately it was an almost birdless journey! Highlights being one really close Storm petrel and a gropper on the boat (which I missed by c3 seconds!). Loads of whales though. Have fun in Spain dude :)

Had a great sea-watch after school today off Rossall Point from 16:00 - 17:25. 7 Leache's Petrels past south in the strong winds, 4 of them very close, almost right up on the beach. 2 Arctic Skuas, Red Throated Diver, 4 Sandwich Tern, 8 Guillemot, 9 Razorbill, 2 Gannet and 2 Kittiwake were the supporting cast.

Hi andrew welcome to birdforum,

just got back, i didnt really do any birdin, the only birdin i did was around the hotel and the main birds was great grey shrike, i dont now if they wer but spotless starlin, a couple of beeaters and some herons wat i dont now wat they are yet.

Yo MC, did you check the Great Greys for Southern Grey? Maybe ssp. algeriensis (its not split from Great Grey in the Collins yet?? Got any photos I'd be happy to have a crack at them for you, though never been to Tunisia! If I'm overcomplicating things just ignore me...

TJ, massively gripped! I didn't even get the Arctic Warbler, and guess what, Simeon and Connor did :-C. Can't really complain though, I was in the Gambia getting 180 odd lifers at the time!

And by the way everyone, from Friday onwards we should all be out looking for rare birds, or if not, glued to the computer looking for rare birds to twitch. Because there will be some!

Yo MC, did you check the Great Greys for Southern Grey? Maybe ssp. algeriensis (its not split from Great Grey in the Collins yet?? Got any photos I'd be happy to have a crack at them for you, though never been to Tunisia! If I'm overcomplicating things just ignore me...

TJ, massively gripped! I didn't even get the Arctic Warbler, and guess what, Simeon and Connor did :-C. Can't really complain though, I was in the Gambia getting 180 odd lifers at the time!

And by the way everyone, from Friday onwards we should all be out looking for rare birds, or if not, glued to the computer looking for rare birds to twitch. Because there will be some!

Hi James,

Can't ever recall you posting on here. I am however a newcomer to this forum. I was having a look at your freewebs page and was wondering how you clinched the ID with the Scottish Crossbill? Did you record the call and compare it or do something else in the field?

Andrew:t:

Hi James,

Can't ever recall you posting on here. I am however a newcomer to this forum. I was having a look at your freewebs page and was wondering how you clinched the ID with the Scottish Crossbill? Did you record the call and compare it or do something else in the field?

Andrew:t:

I used to post on here a lot, but am now 20 so sadly don't really think I count as a young birder anymore :-C. Thanks for visiting my site, sorry for the lack of photos, but my camera has been broken for ages and I probably won't be able to get a new one any time soon. I'm catching up one post per day at the moment though, so at somepoint you'll be able to read my Gambia posts which have plenty of photos because my sister lent me her camera :t:.

If you read the last paragraph on 15th July and the second paragraph on 12th July that should tell you. We cheated a bit with the Scottish Crossbills at Rothiemurchus (12th July). I had the sound approach CD's with me so we could listen in the field, though sadly nothing to record sonograms which would have been the ideal scenario. I was happy with the ID though, and I think only the strictest of purists would discount the Rothiemurchus birds - you won't get any better candidates without sound recording equipment. We also emailed the photos to a few locals who seemed to agree with our thoughts (though obviously they couldn't be 100%).

By the way, how's uni going?! Are you at Durham? Joined the CU yet ;) ?

Last edited:
If you read the last paragraph on 15th July and the second paragraph on 12th July that should tell you. We cheated a bit with the Scottish Crossbills at Rothiemurchus (12th July). I had the sound approach CD's with me so we could listen in the field, though sadly nothing to record sonograms which would have been the ideal scenario. I was happy with the ID though, and I think only the strictest of purists would discount the Rothiemurchus birds - you won't get any better candidates without sound recording equipment. We also emailed the photos to a few locals who seemed to agree with our thoughts (though obviously they couldn't be 100%).

By the way, how's uni going?! Are you at Durham? Joined the CU yet ;) ?

Hi Jimmy,

Read your paragraphs and it sounds quite good to me. A good place to see them is a site in Dunkeld, so good when I was there on my brief visit I didn't see any ;)

I would say that I cannot possibly argue with good field notes and observation and wouldn't just go off pictures. I am however still of the understanding that it is nearly impossible to tell Common from Scottish, so much so that I heard it might loose it status. Though I certainly hope not!

Uni is going on thanks, its freshers week and I start proper study on Monday. I am not going to Durham Uni, I am going to Sunderland to study Business Computing:t:

Hey everyone!

I am skylark25 from sunny Malta and I am 15 only yet I have a great passion for birds and love nature! I have been interested in birds and other wildlife since I was a little boy but it was only around 6 years ago that I focused on birds with great interest. Now I am in my 3rd year of serious birding and I practically go birding on a regular basis. Today I started school but untill yesterday I would go out watching birds everyday since I was in my summer holidays.

Great birds around: We had a very good week for BOPS with several hundred Honey Buzzards, Marsh harrier but also a few individual Ospreys and Black Kite. Common and Lesser Kestrel, Hobbies, Alpine Swift, plenty of bee-eaters, Subalpine warbler and plenty more!:)A few herons also and last Tuesday I saw the largest flock of Great white egrets ever recorded in Malta of 14 birds (GWE are rather scarce in Malta but sightings are increasing but alway sin low numbers)

Unfortunetly Birdwatching isn't that popular down here and I try my best to promote my hobby amongst others. Unfortunetly I currently am one of the youngest birders that goes out frequently...

Happy birding!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back