• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Exercises for using binoculars? (2 Viewers)

Grando

Hi,
Slightly odd question, but wonder if anyone has ever specifically done any exercises to improve the length of time you can hold/use binoculars without your arms feeling tired? Any ideas?

Thanks!

. Yes,
. Not an odd question at all.

upperbody strength exercises may help.
Assuming you are in good health, exercises for building up your biceps and other arm muscles.
The number of repetitions and weights that you use should probably be initially advised by a physiotherapist or sports physiotherapist.
Also abdominal exercises.
If you are fit enough, push-ups would help, building up slowly.
There are push-ups where you don't use the whole leg, but pivot from your knees.

Also for general health, walking is very good exercise.

In addition, breathing control is most important.

I've always thought that Olympic quality shooters probably have very good control of their breathing.
In addition their rest heart rate is probably 45 per minute or less.

Joining a gym is rather expensive although the scenery can be nice, although you may be distracted from the exercise.

Swimming is also good.

Me, I use image stabilised binoculars as an easier option.

As an immediate fix, try supporting your arms and elbows while using the binocular.
You can use anything available, such as a tree, fence or a car roof.

But definitely, building up your muscles and fitness gently, without overdoing it, is a good thing.
it is well worth getting advice from an expert.

Last edited:
I bought a worthless old 20x80 Porro, removed the prisms, covered the eyepiece lenses on the inside with metal plugs, and filled the body with molten lead. I haven't weighed it, but it's really pretty heavy now. I spend an hour a day alternating between whipping it up to my eyes as quickly as I can, and doing prolonged holds, including straight up to stay sharp for those annoying treetop warblers. Once a week I do "super sets" --as many whip-ups as I can get in minute, rest two minutes, and repeat until I can't do another one, also occasionally I'll hold a straight up until my knees give in. It requires dedication like anything, but has sure made my 10x56 FL seem lighter, and also made actual birdwatching seem rather fun, in comparison.

Ron

I bought a worthless old 20x80 Porro, removed the prisms, covered the eyepiece lenses on the inside with metal plugs, and filled the body with molten lead. I haven't weighed it, but it's really pretty heavy now. I spend an hour a day alternating between whipping it up to my eyes as quickly as I can, and doing prolonged holds, including straight up to stay sharp for those annoying treetop warblers. Once a week I do "super sets" --as many whip-ups as I can get in minute, rest two minutes, and repeat until I can't do another one, also occasionally I'll hold a straight up until my knees give in. It requires dedication like anything, but has sure made my 10x56 FL seem lighter, and also made actual birdwatching seem rather fun, in comparison.
Ron

:t:

How do you keep fit for scope carrying?

. Dear Ron,
if you are being serious, how much does the binocular weigh?

Another alternative could be a Ross 10×80 World War II binocular without molten lead.

A modern alternative would be to do these exercises with a 20×100 standard Astro binocular.

Whichever way one builds up strength and fitness it should be progressive and not sudden if you have not done these types of exercises before. Otherwise you can do more harm than good.

. Dear Ron,
if you are being serious, how much does the binocular weigh?

Another alternative could be a Ross 10×80 World War II binocular without molten lead.

A modern alternative would be to do these exercises with a 20×100 standard Astro binocular.

Whichever way one builds up strength and fitness it should be progressive and not sudden if you have not done these types of exercises before. Otherwise you can do more harm than good.

Seriously!

What if one wanted to use an 8x60 Deck Mount on one's deck for astronomy?:eek!:

Certainly one would not want to leave it there permanently! Moving it back and forth from the kitchen to the deck would require a program of progressive exercising. In fact, it would be a major component of the exercise program.:-O

Bob

Thanks everyone! Looks like pressups and bicep curls are in order then.

I love your setup Ron - is that the leaded glass Nikon used in the old version of the HG!?

If only I could get motived to exercise more, but I've always been a member of the Procrastinator's Club ...

Attachments

• cat-procrastinator.jpg
    cat-procrastinator.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 107
. As an outline, on a day that you are rested, you do as many push-ups as you can then reduce this the next day by 20%.
Then for the next two days you to this number of push-ups.
Two days after you add perhaps five or 10%.
The next two days another five or 10%.
Then you have a rest day when you do nothing at all. It is important to have a rest day every week, possibly two rest days depending what else is going on.

If you are also doing bicep exercises in combination with push-ups, then you do both on your start date, and then reduce both by 20% using the same regime.
You start with small weights and then when you can do maybe 10 repetitions, slightly increase the weight.
If possible try to equalise both arms.

It should all be steady. There is no point going over the top and then being unable to do anything the next day.

After the exercise just rest peacefully for 20 of 30 minutes doing nothing at all.

For me, a sort of slow 'Tai-Chi' warm up is key.
Reduces the shakes after driving home.
Morning is fine without a warm-up.

10x50s can be held from hands at the end to resting on the brow,
so they are easy hard. Plus, many 10x50s were manufactured
to be 'light'. One pair is as light as the MeoPro 6.5x32s.

Last edited:
Push-ups build chest (and a bit of tricep). How will having a bigger chest help you use binoculars longer? I also don't see how having bigger biceps would work.

In my opinion it's shoulders and forearm you should be working on.

Last edited:
I carry the weight of the world upon my shoulders daily :-C

On the upside, binoculars are a doddle!

Ron

Next batter up! :smoke:

I prefer to watch my old Jack LaLanne tapes before I go off on an all day birding trip. I don't actually do the exercises anymore, but hitting the remote each time I come to a next exercise and stopping to get in pose helps me tone my arms. ;)

The Godfather of Fitness

The alternative to exercises with cement binoculars is to use a lightweight bin such as the 15 oz. 8x30 M7 or the 8x25 CL Pocket, then you won't have to worry about warming up or pulling a ligament.

As much as I liked the 10x42 SLC-HD, after nearly two hours of holding them up and turning to the side to view birds and other critters in the park, my left shoulder was stiff and sore for four days, and I had trouble turning my head to the left (while driving, I only made right turns).

A visit to the quakopractor finally fixed me up. But before I buy a 10x42 SLC-HD, I'm going to buy a pair of Barska 20x80s and fill them with plaster of Paris. I think lifting a cement filled bin in quick reps like Ron would led me right back to Dr. Hubbard's table ("working hard or hardly working, fella?).

Brock

Last edited:
. Would using a two person kayak or joining a rowing club help?
A professional diver friend had a two-person sea kayak and asked me to have a go. Boy, was that tough.

Grando,

I'll answer seriously. A couple of years ago, I decided to build up upper body strength a bit because needed it for sailboat racing. I have been doing simple chin-ups with a bar and pushups. A couple of times a week. There has been a marked and worthwhile improvement in my ability to hold binoculars as a welcome by-product of this regime.

If you want more detail, I've found pyramid sets useful. With chin-ups, start with one, then two, 3, 4, 5 etc until you cannot do more, and then down by ones to one. This gives enough repetitions for a good workout. Enough rest in between. For pushups, the same but with fives. 5,10,15 etc and the back to five after you hit your peak.

Kimmo

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back