• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (5 Viewers)

Besides those two (unpredictable) seabirds, what else is there to target in the UK? Lesser Redpoll, Scottish Crossbill, Dotterel? I can't see any rarities present that they haven't already got, is that the case?

So, the next birding will be in Britain and Ireland from the 10th? Looking at the forecast, they should fly to Shannon a day earlier to get in some good seawatching at the Bridges of Ross on Sunday and Monday as conditions look really good. Can anyone relay that info to them? I hope to there myself on Sunday.

I think Sooty Shear and Sabine's Gull will be nailed on if the winds are as predicted. A few people from this side of the Irish sea heading over, so I'm sure there will be a mega...at Pendeen! I'm told there will be plenty of rain.

cheers, a

Yeah, Sooty Shearwater and Sabine's Gull look pretty good bets for Sunday. I thought they still needed Grey Phal and Leach's Petrel, but they have got those already. But with the Bridges you just never know what will turn up :eat:

Yeah, Sooty Shearwater and Sabine's Gull look pretty good bets for Sunday. I thought they still needed Grey Phal and Leach's Petrel, but they have got those already. But with the Bridges you just never know what will turn up :eat:

Sooty Shearwater and Sabines Gull are dead certs given the conditions forecast.The latter species needs to be dealt with and nailed down. The question is, how long after they get these two species do they look out to sea, given that seabirds are pretty much covered after that, save for an unforeseen mega. (Getting Swinhoes Petrel off the Bridges next week would surely go down as the most epic score of all birding time)

Laughing Gull is required and still present in Co. Sligo. Lesser Redpoll should not be a problem. After that, how much time should be spent birding for self founds, as opposed to merciless twitching? The weather looks very good next week and Ireland may well turn up plenty of yank waders, but will they be the species they need?
England/Wales/Scotland will doubtless throw up more rares, but the cost is the distances they may have to travel. Their luck will be tested in full in September/October.

Is the American Redstart still there? Or is it just another missed opportunity because of their restraint in twitching?

Still there this morning. Their itinerary allowed for 'clean up' around the UK in the first half of September, so I find it odd they are missing this gem.

The aftermath of all these hurricanes in the Caribbean could lead to a rather unusual autum, I guess.

Doubt it; on current forecasts, none of them are heading out across the Atlantic, they're all expiring in the middle of the continent except for José, which is staying in the Atlantic south of Bermuda.

Indeed............ :king:

All the best

Paul

Big congrats, Paul! I must admit that I neither knew Barra nor the name American Redstart. But I just googled the latter and found out that I knew the German name since quite a long time (must be in the old book by Peterson et al). The guys should really have a try for this amazing species. And how far is the Wilson's Phalarope away, Jon?

Big congrats, Paul! I must admit that I neither knew Barra nor the name American Redstart. But I just googled the latter and found out that I knew the German name since quite a long time (must be in the old book by Peterson et al). The guys should really have a try for this amazing species. And how far is the Wilson's Phalarope away, Jon?

According to Birdguides this morning, It's not been seen! So perhaps a long way! o:)

According to Birdguides this morning, It's not been seen! So perhaps a long way! o:)

Daniel

It was possible to see both if you moved quickly. If you saw the Redstart (available by scheduled flight & ferry or just by scheduled ferries) on the Friday and came off the Hebrides on the Saturday morning, the Wilson's Phalarope was available yesterday evening.

Another redstart photo added. About nine hours between the photos.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Wilson's Phalarope 01.jpg
    Wilson's Phalarope 01.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 101
  • American Redstart BT.jpg
    American Redstart BT.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
So if they had been in Britain for the last week, they would now be chasing a Stilt Sandpiper in Dorset having picked up Sooty Shearwater, Sabine's Gull, Long-billed Dowitcher, Dotterel, American Redstart and Wilson's Phalarope?

All the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back