• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesvos Bird Reports 2017 (1 Viewer)

20/07/17 - small passage of waders at Kalloni SP

Eleni Gallinou reports a small passage of returning waders at Kalloni Salt Pans today 20/07/17 and 6 Dalmatian pelicans, yesterday (19/7)(east side).
Waders as reported by her 20/07 ,behind the sewage treatment unit (SW corner of the Kalloni Pans):
Wood Sandpipers (13)
Green Sandpipers (2)
Ringed Plovers (2)
Little Ringed Plovers (16)
Redshank (1)
Elsewhere on the salt pans :
1 Greenshank

Updates on Eleni's bird news page here

Attachments

• Green sand Kalloni SP 20 July photo Elenei Galinou.JPG
    Green sand Kalloni SP 20 July photo Elenei Galinou.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Greenshank Kalloni SP 20 July photo Elenei Galinou.JPG
    Greenshank Kalloni SP 20 July photo Elenei Galinou.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Wood sand Kalloni SP 20 July photo  Eleni Galinou.JPG
    Wood sand Kalloni SP 20 July photo Eleni Galinou.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 6 dalmatian pelican Kalloni SP 19 July photo  Eleni Galinou.JPG
    6 dalmatian pelican Kalloni SP 19 July photo Eleni Galinou.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 68
Hi , Mick.
Funny how many Dalmatian pelicans that Kalloni has had this year so far. Surely it's considerably more than usual ? I'm hoping it's not a sign of failed breeding or some problems at the mainland sites.

Dalmatian pelicans

Hi , Mick.
Funny how many Dalmatian pelicans that Kalloni has had this year so far. Surely it's considerably more than usual ? I'm hoping it's not a sign of failed breeding or some problems at the mainland sites.

Shrewdly observed Bill.
I don't know whether any ringed birds have ever been noted.
I also confess to not knowing anything about their over wintering behaviour.
As you know the region suffered some quite extreme temperatures early
this year.
I will ask the experts what they think is going on.
interesting article here:
http://www.int-res.com/articles/esr2015/27/n027p119.pdf
comments and feedback are always welcome here.

Last edited:
21/07/17 brief report from visiting birder

Kalloni Salt Pans general area, report by visiting birder
21/07
Un I'd Crake species- Tskinias ford , Two pairs of Bush robins along the main Lotzaria - Bush robins x 2track + a ST eagle over

Still waders in the small pool at pumping station corner

Dalmatian pelican (Pelecanus crispus) x 7 Kalloni SP 07/08/17

At last some fresh bird news.
There ought to be a few migrating birds coming through this month, but
there is a lack of sufficient interest in reporting locally.
Apparently the small pool attracting waders a couple of weeks ago has now dried up and of course it is incredibly hot.

As reported by Eleni Galinou on Lesvos Bird News.

Lesvos Birding 2018.
it is reported that Aegean Air has now scheduled flights for Spring 2018 , however prices are quite high.
Others are reporting great deals for Lesvos from 5 May 2018 with TC's.

Attachments

• Dalmatian Pelicans by Eleni Galinou 070817.JPG
    Dalmatian Pelicans by Eleni Galinou 070817.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 65
At last some fresh bird news.
There ought to be a few migrating birds coming through this month, but
there is a lack of sufficient interest in reporting locally.
Apparently the small pool attracting waders a couple of weeks ago has now dried up and of course it is incredibly hot.

As reported by Eleni Galinou on Lesvos Bird News.

Lesvos Birding 2018.
it is reported that Aegean Air has now scheduled flights for Spring 2018 , however prices are quite high.
Others are reporting great deals for Lesvos from 5 May 2018 with TC's.

Mick, def date dependant. I have booked and paid same as this year in April, £236 for flexible ticket. Which I can change if I want.

Phil

Return Migration underway 12/08/17

Mick, def date dependant. I have booked and paid same as this year in April, £236 for flexible ticket. Which I can change if I want.

Phil

Thanks for the info Stan, good to know.

12 August 2017 Eleni Galinou, reports on Lesvos Bird News, some evidence of return migration, at the greater Kalloni Salt Pan's area, including some of the surrounding irrigated fields.

She reports 4 species of Shrikes present :
Red-backed, Masked, Woodchat and Lesser Grey.
80+ Yellow wagtails
2 Icterine warblers
2 Lesser whitethroats
1 Whinchat
plus a count of 27 Stone curlew at the Saltpans.

Attachments

• stone curlew kalloni SP Eleni Galinou 120817.JPG
    stone curlew kalloni SP Eleni Galinou 120817.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Red backed shrike Kalloni SP area 120817 Eleni Galinou.JPG
    Red backed shrike Kalloni SP area 120817 Eleni Galinou.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Masked shrike greater Kalloni SP 120817 Eleni Galinou.JPG
    Masked shrike greater Kalloni SP 120817 Eleni Galinou.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Lesser grey shrike Race track Kalloni SP 120817 Eleni Galinou.JPG
    Lesser grey shrike Race track Kalloni SP 120817 Eleni Galinou.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Woodchat shrike irrigated field nr Kalloni SP 120817 Eleni Galinou.JPG
    Woodchat shrike irrigated field nr Kalloni SP 120817 Eleni Galinou.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 44
Thanks for the info Stan, good to know.

12 August 2017 Eleni Galinou, reports on Lesvos Bird News, some evidence of return migration, at the greater Kalloni Salt Pan's area, including some of the surrounding irrigated fields.

She reports 4 species of Shrikes present :
Red-backed, Masked, Woodchat and Lesser Grey.
80+ Yellow wagtails
2 Icterine warblers
2 Lesser whitethroats
1 Whinchat
plus a count of 27 Stone curlew at the Saltpans.

What are you autumn dates Mick? Mine 28/9 - 7/10. Already really looking forward to it. Been reading trip reports for same period and looks promising.
Phil

13 August 2017 Kalloni Salt Pans and surrounds.

13/08/17
Eleni Galinou reports more Shrikes this morning along the tracks between the Tsiknias River and the Kalloni Salt Pans.
Also her first Willow warbler of the annual late migration.

Question for you. I live on Samos, not that far away, and we have been seeing a huge decline in bird numbers for the past 2-3 years. Admittedly Lesvos has always been better for birdlife than here, but the situation here has deteriorated sharply. For example we used to have flocks of chaffinches, yet I haven't seen a single one for months. The site of the former saltworks, a protected area, is now mostly crows. I think I know why this is happening but so as not to prejudice your answer, can you just tell me if you are seeing population declines on Lesvos? And if so are these resident birds, migratory birds, both or neither? Many thanks.

Declining bird counts ?

Question for you. I live on Samos, not that far away, and we have been seeing a huge decline in bird numbers for the past 2-3 years. Admittedly Lesvos has always been better for birdlife than here, but the situation here has deteriorated sharply. For example we used to have flocks of chaffinches, yet I haven't seen a single one for months. The site of the former saltworks, a protected area, is now mostly crows. I think I know why this is happening but so as not to prejudice your answer, can you just tell me if you are seeing population declines on Lesvos? And if so are these resident birds, migratory birds, both or neither? Many thanks.

Any opinion that I might proffer on the subject would be purely based on anecdotal evidence from our spring trips. On that basis I will say that in recent years the relatively high temperatures and lack of rain that we've experienced during our spring visits, appears to have resulted in fewer migrants, especially wading birds, some heron species and raptors.
Migration appears to happening earlier, with the wetlands and seasonal pools drying out during late April through the first week of May.
The few resident wildlife enthusiasts on Lesvos may have a more enlightened opinion regarding the situation. Your concerns would be best put to the Lesvos Bird News group on Facebook here:https://www.facebook.com/groups/lesvosbirdnews/?fref=nf

13/08/17 White winged terns

From Lesvos Bird News
13/08/17 update
7 White-winged Terns in the irrigated fields between the Tsiknias River
and the Kalloni Pans.

Hi, Mick,
Thanks for your reply. Is there any way to contact these people that does not involve Facebook? A telephone number, a different site?
Thanks

Lesvos Bird Numbers

Hi, Mick,
Thanks for your reply. Is there any way to contact these people that does not involve Facebook? A telephone number, a different site?
Thanks

Sorry but I am unable to pass on any personal details.
I have however posted your query and a link to this page , on the Lesvos Bird News Facebook group, some members of which are resident on the island.
Hopefully someone will follow the link and respond.
Regards
Mick

Hi Purple Heron. A quick answer is that we are seeing natural and expected seasonal and annual differences of the species populations that I wouldn't be in the position to name as declines (or increases!).
Of course the migrating waterbirds are not expected to stop at our seasonal wetlands that seem to dry out a bit earlier on some sites (but later on others) these last years- as Mike descibes.

Chaffinches are in large flocks in winter in several, even open habitats, on the Aegean islands but seem to be "absent" the rest of the year (occuping olive groves and the pine forest).

Happy autumn migration!

Last edited:
thank you very much for this info. I enjoyed my stays at scala kaloni and although the papers like to embellish their reports , from what was shown on the tele I cannot imagine how the poor people of Lesvos manage this situation. I noted there were no tours heading that way.

Lesvos

thank you very much for this info. I enjoyed my stays at scala kaloni and although the papers like to embellish their reports , from what was shown on the tele I cannot imagine how the poor people of Lesvos manage this situation. I noted there were no tours heading that way.

As I said yesterday when posting the image of isabelline wheatears below on another website:
"Unfortunately since 2015, the Tourism reputation of the island of Lesvos has been shot, through the news media focusing attention on the Syrian migrant crisis.
Nevertheless many stalwart birders continue to visit the island because they know that it's habitats are capable of giving up such magic moments as this image reveals. Not withstanding the fact that sad though it is for it's victims and the island's economy,:tourist destinations including the many birding sites, on the island, have never been directly affected by the migration crisis or seen any interruption caused by these sad victims of the political, religious and economic repression and population displacement.
Please give the jewel of the Aegean a try for your next Fall or Spring birding adventure."
Thanks.

Attachments

• Oenanthe isabellina Petrified Forest Lesvos 130517.JPG
    Oenanthe isabellina Petrified Forest Lesvos 130517.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 54
As I said yesterday when posting the image of isabelline wheatears below on another website:
"Unfortunately since 2015, the Tourism reputation of the island of Lesvos has been shot, through the news media focusing attention on the Syrian migrant crisis.
Nevertheless many stalwart birders continue to visit the island because they know that it's habitats are capable of giving up such magic moments as this image reveals. Not withstanding the fact that sad though it is for it's victims and the island's economy,:tourist destinations including the many birding sites, on the island, have never been directly affected by the migration crisis or seen any interruption caused by these sad victims of the political, religious and economic repression and population displacement.
Please give the jewel of the Aegean a try for your next Fall or Spring birding adventure."
Thanks.

There are also still tour companies, from the UK and Europe, visiting in the Spring. I can but echo Mick's sentiments, great island, great birding and great people. They have been hit very hard by the way in which a humanitarian crisis has been reported with tourism plummeting. Please if you are considering a birding trip include Lesbos, you WILL NOT be disappointed and there are NO problems. Many of the regulars class people within the tourism business on the island their friends and we would love to see they get the support and business back, they have no other way of gaining income.

Flights for 2018 are now on sale.

Phil

Last edited:
Lesvos Bird records

Question for you. I live on Samos, not that far away, and we have been seeing a huge decline in bird numbers for the past 2-3 years. Admittedly Lesvos has always been better for birdlife than here, but the situation here has deteriorated sharply. Many thanks.

Although not definitive I know, this is where Steve Dudley's annual Lesvos Bird Report would be useful for future generations to compare sightings of both passage and breeding birds. Steve unfortunately will not be producing these any longer , while for my part they will be sadly missed. The amount of work that went into these compiling data from numerous independent sources, is no doubt irreplaceable, . For the uninitiated there are 7 available as downloadable PDF's or to view on the Web, covering the years 2009 - 2015, on his web site . There is some pretty amazing information regarding bird numbers, dates of passage, maps of birding sites, details of other wildlife and an array of superb photographs of many species. Well worth the read , see here:
http://lesvosbirding.com/bird-reports/

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back