• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mold in Binocular? (1 Viewer)

ellisonwales

Hello again everyone.About a year ago i purchased the 8x32 hgs , and they are performing fine.A few months after that I bought a pair of 8x32ses for my daughter.Now ive only just noticed what appears to look like a mold mark in side the se binocular.It can only be seen when looking through the large end through to the eyepiece end and is quite noticable that way round.I originally though it was on one of the two lenses ,however on further investigation it appears to be inside the binocular itself possibly on a mirror inside?.To be honest i cant really notice anything when looking through the binoculars normally.However the binoculars are still under the years guarantee at warehouse express and also the 10 year (yes rip off UK again )nikon guarantee.The binoculars havent been out in any rain or adverse conditions and are usually kept in my daughters bedroom.My question is ,should i worry about that small imperfection? Any advice would be welcome
tia
ellisonwales

Greetings!

If they were my binoculars, I'd send them to Nikon with a note explaining that they are faulty under warranty and should be completely waterproof... and have them repaired. Just my opinion... I wouldn't want mold in my optics! ;)

Best wishes,
Bawko

ellisonwales said:
My question is ,should i worry about that small imperfection? Any advice would be welcome
tia
ellisonwales

There's a type of fungus that attacks glass and if that's what you've got it'll get progressively worse. This is quite common in old camera lenses and initially shows as a silvery, oily looking mark, usually around the edge of the lens. I think I'd play it safe and return them if you can.
Good luck
John

Thank you for replies.I dont think they are waterproof (not like the hgs anyway , and im referring to the ses) , but they havent been mistreated ,or gotten wet in any way.I think i will contact nikon.
thanks again
ellisonw

Fungus on glass?

Mold and fungus tend to be in the open, on a surface. They must get some nourishment other than the glass they are on. Soap in the bathtub is enough for them etc.

Just being technical here.

Tero said:
Fungus on glass?

Mold and fungus tend to be in the open, on a surface. They must get some nourishment other than the glass they are on. Soap in the bathtub is enough for them etc.

Just being technical here.

You are correct but you forget one thing: we are surrounded by bacteria and microscopic mites. Not being airtight, the SE's may let some of these lil' critters get in, were they die and feed the fungus.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back