• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

jackdaw (eastern?) (1 Viewer)

djprest

took this on the 5th february 2006 at cresswell looks like a continental race just wondered what anyone else thinks as the books are a bit vauge, i know they did an article in yorkshire birding years ago but ive misplaced it! cheers

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 167
thanks janj great link! i will have a good look at this later. i have a few more shots but just of the same angle
cheers sonic

Eastern Jackdaws ... A lot of headaches for observers in north-western Europe (and rarities committees !) a few years ago, before field characters were clarified.

Your bird shows features consistent with monedula (Nordic Jackdaw) : pale nape and ear-coverts, patch on lower neck, somewhat paler underparts.
At least it's an "eastern" Jackdaw but I'm sure it's safe to assign it to a specific subspecies (since there are intergrades spermologus-monedula and monedula-soemmerringii ). It's not an adult male soemmerringii from what is known from this race for now :egghead:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back