• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (18 Viewers)

nipped into the Moors this evening after Eric's funeral (more on that late) suffice to say what a great turnout.

Little grebe 6, GCG 2 + chick, no tufted broods YET!
Common tern have brood of 3 on southern raft and at least 2 on large raft. Oystercatcher have 2 broods of a single each. and the lapwing chick is on Snipe Island. also 12 ads. gadwall +5 chicks. Raven, sedge w 2,

Flashes: Teal 8. shoveler fem, gadwall 3. Shelduck 2+7ch. Tufted 10 + at least 4 ch on 3rd Flash.
Avocet 57. LRP 4. lapwing 15. oyc 3+1 chick. Curlew 8.
Cetti's Warbler at hen pool. sedge w 2 singing,
starling 8, linnet 2.

Sailing pool. GCG ad + juv,

Last edited:
Eric Philips

Today the Midlands top birder was laid to rest . Many of you knew Eric and others would have seen him on the reserve usually on his bike.
Testament to Eric's popularity was the great turnout today at his Funeral, he will be sorely missed by the West Mids birding community.
RIP Eric.... My next find will be dedicated to you.B :)

Attachments

• twitter eric DSCF8227.jpg
    twitter eric DSCF8227.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 165
Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Green Sand-------------------LRP (4)
Avocet (51)-------------------Oystercatcher (2) + chick
Curlew (2)--------------------Lapwing (23)
Teal (9)-----------------------Gadwall (2)
Shelduck (2) + 7 young------Tufted brood of 5 on 3rd flash, only a few days old.
Raven (3)---------------------Rook (13)
L T Tit (12)--------------------Med Gull/B H Gull hybrid.
B H Gull 28D1- white ring on left leg. Has been seen at Upton before.

MOORS:
Lapwing (8) + chick-----------Common Tern (5) + 3:2 chicks
G C Grebe (3) + chick---------Shelduck (2)
Shoveler (2)-------------------Gadwall (1)
Oystercatcher (2), but no sign of chicks which were probably well hidden in thick vegetation.
Cetti's Warbler (2)

N MOORS:
Cetti's Warbler-----------------Whitethroat

SAILING POOL/ED RES.
Cetti's Warbler-----------------Greylags (2) + 3 young.

Des.

Last edited:
Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Shelduck (2) + 7 young------Tufted brood of 5 on 3rd flash, only a few days old.

MOORS:
Lapwing (8) + chick-----------Common Tern (5) + 3:2 chicks
G C Grebe (3) + chick---------Shelduck (2)
Shoveler (2)-------------------Gadwall (1)
Oystercatcher (2), but no sign of chicks which were probably well hidden in thick vegetation.
Cetti's Warbler (2)

N MOORS:
Cetti's Warbler-----------------Whitethroat

SAILING POOL/ED RES.
Cetti's Warbler-----------------Greylags (2) + 3 young.

Des.

First Green Sand of the autumn! - last year's first returning bird was a tad earlier on the 15th June. Hopefully the Avocet will depart in the next fortnight allowing a clear return for a strong wader passage.

Common Sand will follow shortly; keep an eye out for colour-flagged birds. The same bird originally ringed at Ladybower Reservoir, Derbyshire in June 2011 has been noted on return passage for the last four years - from the 22nd July 2011, on 23rd July 2012, from 16th July 2013 and at the Moors Pool from 1st to 5th July 2014. Another bird from the same scheme, ringed at Grimbocar Wood, Ladybower as a juvenile on the 15th July 2011 was at Upton Warren on the 28th July 2012

There are already signs that the Curlew flock is increasing; last year numbers had climbed to 23 by the end of June with an eventual summer roost maximum count of a meagre 25 on the 13th September

Last edited:
Today's highlights:

FLASHES:

Hi Des - were any of the Raven potentially fledged young from the transmitter mast nest? I take it the Tufted brood was different to the one observed last week?

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:

Black-headed Gull with white leg-ring “28D1” was originally ringed in the nest at Hosehill Berkshire on the 4th June 2011. It had previously been recorded at Upton Warren on the 5th May 2013 and at the Flashes on the 9th and 28th March 2014. It has also been noted back at Hosehill later in 2011 and on the River Lee, County Cork on the 1st January 2012. I will contact the ringing scheme to see if there is a further update.

Hi Des - were any of the Raven potentially fledged young from the transmitter mast nest? I take it the Tufted brood was different to the one observed last week?

I saw 2 fully grown raven chicks in May and would have thought they would fledge. The tufted I saw Tuesday were the same as last Friday 19th June.

Various photos taken of breeding activity

Here are some shots taken at the end of May and in June showing various breeding activities.

15-10_30610(1).jpg Black-headed Gull mobbing a Swan that was causing too much disturbance (it was chasing a Canada Goose) in its breeding area.

15-10_30662(1).jpg Black-headed gull picking up nesting material

15-10_30715(1).jpg Pair of Tufted Ducks mating

15-10_30738(1).jpg Coot feeding one of its young

15-11-7D_60337(1Flr).jpg Blackcap (male) with food for its nestlings

I'm currently populating my new site on Flickr, so please take a look, but remember, it is a work-in-progress as there are a lot of photos to put on.

https://flickr.com/photos/wordsley-birder/

Some days the sun really does shine

Flashes from 4pm to 6pm. Apart from us only a brief visit by two gentlemen I didn't recognise.
Shame they didn't stay longer. Early on we found a sitting avocet on one of the islands in front of the hide.
Early on we noted 4eggs. By about half five there were 3 eggs and a chick trying hard to get out' Awesome watching it hatching and giving mum an uncomfortable time. Mega and exhausting - felt every bit . Don't think these avocets will be leaving anytime soon if they survive. Expect the other three to hatch tomorrow.

LRP to right of hide is definitely sitting and looks to me to have two eggs- of course they do look a bit like little stones but I'm fairly confident of one at least.

Blue 28D1 on white darvic BHG still present. Siver ring starts with an E but it wouldn't turn round to let me see the rest!

Couldn't find the hybrid gull. However there is another normal BHG present that in certain positions looks for all the world to have a med hood and has a spottyish face. All grey topsides though and the wing tips are as much brown as black. Some interesting oddities around.

Wouldn't have missed the hatching for all the world. Some day the sun really does shine.

P

A brief 75 minutes at the Moors this evening, the highlight of which was a female Shoveler with 8 ducklings that swam to the east island. Saw female Gadwall with three juvs, Mute Swan with two cygnets, one chick each of Lapwing and Oystercatcher and a juv GCG. Common terns were looking to nest on one the rafts, the two with chicks were still present although I only saw 1 & 2 chicks.

Last edited:
A brief 75 minutes at the Moors this evening, the highlight of which was a female Shoveler with 8 ducklings that swam to the east island. Saw female Gadwall with three juvs, Mute Swam with two cygnets, one chick each of Lapwing and Oystercatcher and a juv GCG. Common terns were looking to nest on one the rafts, the two with chicks were still present although I only saw 1 & 2 chicks.

A second pair of breeding Shoveler! I hope this brood fares better than the first.

Black-headed Gull with white leg-ring “28D1” was originally ringed in the nest at Hosehill Berkshire on the 4th June 2011. It had previously been recorded at Upton Warren on the 5th May 2013 and at the Flashes on the 9th and 28th March 2014. It has also been noted back at Hosehill later in 2011 and on the River Lee, County Cork on the 1st January 2012. I will contact the ringing scheme to see if there is a further update.

Full list of sightings for Black-headed Gull white 28D1is as follows:

04/06/2011 - Hosehill Lake LNR: 51°25'N 1°5'W (SU6469) (West Berkshire)
24/06/2011 - Hosehill Lake LNR: 51°25'N 1°5'W (SU6469) (West Berkshire)
27/06/2011 - Hosehill Lake LNR: 51°25'N 1°5'W (SU6469) (West Berkshire)
30/06/2011 - Hosehill Lake LNR: 51°25'N 1°5'W (SU6469) (West Berkshire)
01/07/2011 - Hosehill Lake LNR: 51°25'N 1°5'W (SU6469) (West Berkshire)
02/07/2011 - Hosehill Lake LNR: 51°25'N 1°5'W (SU6469) (West Berkshire)
01/01/2012 - River Lee, Cork: 51°54'N 8°28'W (IW6772) (Cork) , Eire
05/05/2013 - Upton Warren NR: 52°18'N 2°6'W (SO9367) (Worcestershire)
09/03/2014 - Upton Warren NR: 52°18'N 2°6'W (SO9367) (Worcestershire)
28/03/2014 - Upton Warren NR: 52°18'N 2°6'W (SO9367) (Worcestershire)
24/06/2015 - Upton Warren NR: 52°18'N 2°6'W (SO9367) (Worcestershire)
25/06/2015 - Upton Warren NR: 52°18'N 2°6'W (SO9367) (Worcestershire)

Phil E - the silver ring is EX30281 (but the colour ring should be unique)

Phil
Thanks for number.
Question if I may? Most little rings seem to read please phone either British Museum or owner in case of racing pigeons. This ring obviously has a purpose but if the bird has a unique number on the darvic what purpose does this one serve and why? Okay that's 2 questions!

Thanks
Phil E

Protocols site administrators and UW wardens

Will I breach any rules/ protocols by publishing pics of the avocet chick hatching? Despite the up close and personal views the pics were shot from the hide using very powerful gear and does not directly identify the position of the nest, unless you know where it is already. Also shows the eggs.
Thanks
Phil E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back