• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID help (from Yellowstone NP) (1 Viewer)

beowulfde

IT/Photographer Dude
Folks...

Not sure about this one.. taken in August in Yellowstone National Park. I have more images, but none are available at the moment. If I need to post the others, simply request and I'll do that over the weekend.

Thanks in advance for the help!

--JTK

Attachments

• CRW_2635.jpg
    CRW_2635.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 135
If you could post more shots it would be appreciated. It might be a dark morph juvenile Rough Legged Hawk, but would need a good look at those legs from a different angel. The patagial patch looks good, but not difinitive. A view of the chest area might help as well.

Okay.. more images to come

When I have a moment.. either later today or over the weekend, I'll be sure to get more images up.

I can also clean up the posted image... so perhaps I'll just start a new thread when the material is ready.

Looks to me like a subadult Ferruginous Hawk, dark morph. The feathered tarsi rule out plenty of other species (excepting Rough-legged), but the underwing pattern does match Ferrug. It's less contrasty than is usually found with Rough-leg.

Also, August is still pretty early for Rough-leg in that area.

I'm wondering, in what part of the Park did you see this bird? I know of a breeding location within 50 miles of Yellowstone, but that is in Idaho, in lower-elevation sage flat habitat.

Steve in Houston

Specifically, there is a 4x4 trail not far form the petrified tree. I followed that road to the top... I would estimate about 8.5-9K feet up... and there he was hanging out. So.. basically around the Petrified Tree area.

I would have to look at a map to be more specific which I don't have in front of me at the moment.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Here is another one... plus..

a better version of the original

Attachments

• CRW_2635.jpg
    CRW_2635.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 83
  • CRW_2633.jpg
    CRW_2633.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 82
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back