• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandpiper in California (1 Viewer)

mb1848

I saw and photographed a sandpiper which structurally looked good for a Buff-breasted Sandpiper. It had a short black bill and dull yellowish legs. The legs may have been muddy it was at a sewage plant in central California. But the breast and underparts were pretty white for a Buff-breasted. 99% of California Buff-breasted Sandpipers are juveniles. The books say that juveniles have a notably paler belly than adults and that their legs are not as bright as adults. If it is not a Buff-breasted what is it?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33835670@N00/4488676165/sizes/o/ .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33835670@N00/4489322564/sizes/o/ .

Jizz doesn't suggest Buff-breasted Sandpiper to me. Tend to agree with Jane in so far that this is a Calidris sandpiper, though not sure which one. Looks a bit long-winged and not entirely unlike Baird's Sandpiper.

not a buff breasted, that's for sure, with a primary projection like that it's a toss up between white-rumped and baird's, plumage seems to fit baird's better for me.

PP suggests that it is actually a Baird's as suggested, I think the leg colour is slightly reflective.

Attachments

• 4488676165_57cabafdd5_o.jpg
    4488676165_57cabafdd5_o.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 98
PP suggests that it is actually a Baird's as suggested, I think the leg colour is slightly reflective.

Just looking at the pic I'd agree it's a Bairds. I only suggested Least because of the OP's description of the leg colour.

Cheers, Neil.

Am I looking at the same bird as you Jane? The pic has long pp.... Least has none. Looks spot on Baird's, whether the legs appear pale or not.

To be perfectly honest my initial suggestion of Baird's Sandpiper was prompted by the upperpart pattern and tones (although I'm not sure how accurately the tones are represented), and the long wings were just supportive. To me the legs look black not yellow, especially in the photo where it isn't facing away. There's such harsh light it's not surprising it's thrown a bit of colour into the image where it doesn't actually exist.

Am I the OP? Or the OPP? This bird was bigger than a Least. Although in the past I have confused Least with Baird's in the field. The picture was taken on a very hot bright sunny day, and could have made the legs look yellowy. The legs were not black but looked muddy light yellow legs.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back