• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kids bird watching for the first time (and in KNP in South Africa) (1 Viewer)

In 3 weeks, we are going to Kruger National Park with our 4 sons -- ages 7, 9, 11, and 12. None of us have ever been on a trip like this before and have never bird watched before. Each of our boys will have a Burrus 8x32 Landmark pair of binoculars. My wife and I will each have a pair of Cabela's 8x42 Roof Prism binoculars.

After being in Kruger National Park for 5 days, we will be going to Gomo Gomo Lodge and then spending a day driving the countryside. Any and all advice is welcome!!

As all the birds are new, you will have plenty of birds on the ground that will keep your attention. Smaller birds in trees will be more difficult, but there will be some colorful ones that will stick out. Have at least some kind of field guide. They should have some for sale once you get there.

Have a trawl on the internet and pick out a selection of mammals and birds that you are most likely to see (ie very common ones) and print off pics/descriptions if you can. Then prepare the youngsters for a mega time by giving them a folder of the info that contains a target list for the trip with the promise of a prize for which one of them can spot and identify the most species LOL Will keep attention spans up for long days and long drives ;)

http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/conservation/ff/default.php?p=Kruger

To keep them interested, you might try some games. I have led several scout troops and boys in particular like to make it into a game. If yours are competitive, you might try adapting several games to birdwatching:
1. Name a color and see who can spot the first bird with that color on it.
2. How many buzzards ( birds of prey) can you find.
3. Who can find the bird in their book first.
4. Scavenger hunts are fun if you have a list.
etc

Last edited:
By the way, I have found kids good at finding moving birds in trees, more so than inexperienced adults. Their vision seems to be better, and their brains work faster. The trick is to then capture it in the binocuilars as well.

If you are new to birding I would suggest you have a few practice runs before your trip to Africa. Take your kids to a local park so they can get used to using their binoculars on the local birds, squirrels etc. Then when you see something extra good at Kruger, your children should be able to find it in their bins quicker. Enjoy your trip.

I would definitely give them a few practice trips first. A good game would be to give them a list of birds and then see who can tick them off the list first.

I wouldn't worry about them getting bored in Kruger, it's a fantastic spot - though concentrating on birds could be sometimes difficult as yet another elephant bears down on you.

At some of the entrance gates, and certainly at the main camps, you can get illustrated 'tick lists' of the most common birds and a similar one for mammals. These, I think, are pretty good for children - a simple picture of each with a little box to tick. Doesn't worry with all the hard to identify little brown things, nor all the little yellow things.

Also go on one of the organised night safari trips from the camps, they are brilliant.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back