• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Four waders from Cancun, Mexico (1 Viewer)

alangr

Golf course flooded after storm. Brought in the waders - most new to me.
Greater Yellowlegs, Short Billed Dowitcher, Solitary Sandpiper and Sanderling are my guesses.

Attachments

• yellowlegs.jpg
    yellowlegs.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 122
  • dow1.jpg
    dow1.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 170
  • sandpiper.jpg
    sandpiper.jpg
    714.1 KB · Views: 115
  • small.jpg
    small.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 130
1st one is a Greater (+ the Stilt)
2nd - I'll pass! If I had to, I'd agree with Short-billed
3rd is Spotted Sand in non-breed plumage
4th is Least Sand

I would agree with [Black-necked Stilt and] Greater for #1, Long-billed Dowitcher for #2, Spotted Sandpiper for #3, and Least Sandpiper for #4.

In #2, my evidence is the very plain tertials, which would not be the case in a hatch-year Short-billed; of-course this would not apply if these are winter adults, but I don't think they are (both species being very plain in adult basic).

For #3, note fine barring on the wing coverts, a good Spotted feature. Solitary, by contrast, shows white dots on the edges.

Peter

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Two out of four is good for me! Just to educate myself. I thought solitary because of eye ring but on reviewing books it looks like white shoulder patch is easiest marker? Also, what is clincher on sandpiper - the yellow legs? Thanks again - two lifers with Yellowlegs and Least!

Thanks for that. Two out of four is good for me! Just to educate myself. I thought solitary because of eye ring but on reviewing books it looks like white shoulder patch is easiest marker? Also, what is clincher on sandpiper - the yellow legs? Thanks again - two lifers with Yellowlegs and Least!

Yep, you've got both the good ID features

Dowitcher

I opted for short billed based on tail bands. I attach a better shot showing this.

Attachments

• dow2.jpg
    dow2.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 49
In #2, my evidence is the very plain tertials, which would not be the case in a hatch-year Short-billed; of-course this would not apply if these are winter adults, but I don't think they are (both species being very plain in adult basic).

The bird that's partially obscured seems to show quite well marked tertials though.

I opted for short billed based on tail bands. I attach a better shot showing this.

I agree - on this photo. That looks like a lot of white in the white/black ratio. But this bird also shows the typical notched tertials of a Short-billed, too. Still not seeing that in the first photo, they look like different individuals.

Looks like image 1 has 3 juvs and one adult (rear left). Adult is unidentifiable. The juvs have either replaced most of their tertials, or they are growing in (the bird in post 7, and the mostly obscured bird int he first photo). I think in the post 7 photo, you can see the inner most tertail is retained and it looks to have inner marking of rufous, so it is a Short-billed. Would need more views if available to ID others.

Andy

Dowitcher extra

OK. Three more shots of same group of four.

Attachments

• dow3.jpg
    dow3.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 44
  • dow4.jpg
    dow4.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 39
  • dow5.jpg
    dow5.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 31
In regards to using the tail bands to ID dowitchers, that feature is basically useless. The western and central US breeding subspecies of SB overlap with LB completely in terms of tail banding, and even some of the eastern SB overlap with LB in terms of banding..

The pics with the dowitchers show both species, not just one or the other.
For instance, in the OP photo (http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=519127&d=1414154628), the two birds in the foreground are fresh juvenile Long-billed Dowitchers (no moult going on there), for reasons already pointed out by others (plain tertials, plain inner greater coverts etc).
The bird partially obscured in the middle is a juv Short-billed Dowitcher moulting to 1st-winter plumage.
Contrary to Andy, I do believe the adult bird in the background can be identified: body shape alone already indicates Short-billed Dowitcher (relatively slim body with flat back), and the plumage seems to confirm this (pale grey breast, whitish ground colour of flanks, only thin dark shaft streaks on scapulars, and rather obvious whitish fringes to wing coverts).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back