• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (21 Viewers)

Hi John, taken on 27th April in front of east hide, hope you like em. Cheers Dennis

Attachments

• upton 27 april 2010a.jpg
    upton 27 april 2010a.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 83
  • upton 27 april 2010b.jpg
    upton 27 april 2010b.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 79
  • upton 27 april 2010d.jpg
    upton 27 april 2010d.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 86
Gull looking like smaller LBB at Moors with blue leg ring on left leg. Orange code HYY. Small metal ring right leg. I know its possible to get info from somewhere but dont know how. Help appreciated. Will upload pic when I get home.

Rob.

Here are the pics:
Hi Rob I have reported your Gull record.

here is a useful link, for anyone seeing a colour ringed bird

http://www.cr-birding.be/ checking through, it would appear this bird was ringed by the Severn Gull ringing group.
B :)John

Thanks Rob, the birds with the duskier underparts are indeed just adults and there isn't a surinamensis lurking in there!
Tim remember we are in the middle of the country, not in your privaledged position on the east coast8-P
we don't get rare birds anymore:-C
You will never want to come back here after your experience up north...if you come across Mick Turton and John Hewitt at spurn, tell em cuddy said hello or should I say ...ey up me duck
B :)john

Hi Rob
a rapid reply from Pete Stewart
------------------------------------------------------------
John,
We have met a few times in the past but it is some years since I last visited the reserve at Upton Warren. Blue HYY was ringed in 2010 and this is the first sighting so a good record. I am attaching it’s history. Three of our birds have turned up at the reserve so far this year.
With my very best wishes,
Peter

-------------------------------------------------------------
The Severn Estuary Gull Group
Recapture History
Blue HYY [Born 2006]
Ring Age/ Capture
number Type Date Init Details
Lesser Black-backed Gull
FH33088 N 11 24/04/10 SGD Gloucester Landfill Site, Gloucestershire. 51.51N 02.16W
S 13 Sighted 04/10/11 JB Upton-Warren, Worcestershire (52 km, NNE, 1 yr 163days)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Rob
a rapid reply from Pete Stewart
------------------------------------------------------------
John,
We have met a few times in the past but it is some years since I last visited the reserve at Upton Warren. Blue HYY was ringed in 2010 and this is the first sighting so a good record. I am attaching it’s history. Three of our birds have turned up at the reserve so far this year.
With my very best wishes,
Peter

-------------------------------------------------------------
The Severn Estuary Gull Group
Recapture History
Blue HYY [Born 2006]
Ring Age/ Capture
number Type Date Init Details
Lesser Black-backed Gull
FH33088 N 11 24/04/10 SGD Gloucester Landfill Site, Gloucestershire. 51.51N 02.16W
S 13 Sighted 04/10/11 JB Upton-Warren, Worcestershire (52 km, NNE, 1 yr 163days)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks John. I used to live in Gloucester & moved up here, you don't think it's following me do you?:eek!:

Thanks Rob, the birds with the duskier underparts are indeed just adults and there isn't a surinamensis lurking in there!

Tim, here are two images which I have cropped from one showing all ten of the terns & made as large as poss. Maybe give more id info.

Rob

Attachments

• Web Terns Larger 6.jpg
    Web Terns Larger 6.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Web Terns Larger 7.jpg
    Web Terns Larger 7.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 60
If thats Mick Turton from near Barnsley, I went to school with him. Not seen him for many a year, dont supose you have a contact email for him?
Certainly is one of the same, Paul.
No I haven't got any contact details. Was one of the lads on the twitching scene in my day..he was a member of the wath ings crew, a rival of the upstarts (all good friendly rivalry).

Peter

Primarily the length of the crest when in adult/breeding finery and some really subtle variations in the wing/tail feather formulae. Actually, there's a good guide (with ringing photos) here:
Guide (about 4Mb download)

Last edited:
John,

I didn't know you could tell the genders apart. What are the pointers in sexing lapwings?

Peter
Hi Peter
In breeding plumage it is quite easy to tell the difference, even from a distance. On the male its best summed up by saying the front of its head, is fully black. By this I mean from its forehead through the lores, throat, front of neck and upper breast. It appears clean and distinct and contrasts markedly with the white of the underparts. Simon has also mentioned other salient features.
Females in summer always appear blotchy and mottles around the 'front end' as previously mentioned with the male's detail. Females always have a broad supercillium that continues to the lores and in younger females this can also run to the base of the bill and can vary in colour from buffish through to white, this gives the appearance of an ill-defined facial expression as opposed to the distinct 'handsome' males.
The iridescence on the wing can also vary, with males being the brightest. The males in flight will also show a more rounded wing formed by longer inner feathers. This feature is well pronounced and enables them to perform the aerial acrobatics synonymous with the species during the breeding season, giving the derivation of of its 'modern' name.

However some young males are not as well marked as older birds but will always show black throats and front end but lack the broad supercillium of the females.
Field guides are as they say a 'guide' so by watching and studying birds you add to not only the enjoyment but also the understanding and appreciation and in a small way a discovery of things about that species.
end of sermon8-P
hope that helps Peter

Last edited:
Tim remember we are in the middle of the country, not in your privaledged position on the east coast8-P
we don't get rare birds anymore:-C
You will never want to come back here after your experience up north...if you come across Mick Turton and John Hewitt at spurn, tell em cuddy said hello or should I say ...ey up me duck
B :)john

With the attitude John of course you don't! 8-P

Have met both of them at Spurn actually will try and remember next time I see them!

Hi Peter
In breeding plumage it is quite easy to tell the difference, even from a distance. On the male its best summed up by saying the front of its head, is fully black. By this I mean from its forehead through the lores, throat, front of neck and upper breast. It appears clean and distinct and contrasts markedly with the white of the underparts. Simon has also mentioned other salient features.
Females in summer always appear blotchy and mottles around the 'front end' as previously mentioned with the male's detail. Females always have a broad supercillium that continues to the lores and in younger females this can also run to the base of the bill and can vary in colour from buffish through to white, this gives the appearance of an ill-defined facial expression as opposed to the distinct 'handsome' males.
The iridescence on the wing can also vary, with males being the brightest. The males in flight will also show a more rounded wing formed by longer inner feathers. This feature is well pronounced and enables them to perform the aerial acrobatics synonymous with the species during the breeding season, giving the derivation of of its 'modern' name.

However some young males are not as well marked as older birds but will always show black throats and front end but lack the broad supercillium of the females.
Field guides are as they say a 'guide' so by watching and studying birds you add to not only the enjoyment but also the understanding and appreciation and in a small way a discovery of things about that species.
end of sermon8-P
hope that helps Peter

To give abit of visual to johns description, here is a male Lapwing
SDC13178.jpg
MB

Last edited:
Simon, John and MB,

Thanks to you all for the amazing online tutorials. I shall certainly take more note when I see them next time.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back