• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The return of the son of Bresser 10x50s @ Lidl (1 Viewer)

I thought these were a tenner in previous incarnations. Weak pound biting?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090406.p.Binoculars_-_10x50.ar3

Edit: From Monday 6th

While they are said to be a bargain, but we've got quite a few pairs of binos around here. I'm strongly tempted to buy the camp stove though.

those small bressers 10x25 i think?? oh hold one i have a look got a pair last time for the bike and they are hopeless ...cant make out anything with them:-C
and dont get one of those stoves unless you plan on lugging it around on you back they are too unstable get one of those flat ones i got mine for a £10:t:

those small bressers 10x25 i think?? oh hold one i have a look got a pair last time for the bike and they are hopeless ...cant make out anything with them:-C
and dont get one of those stoves unless you plan on lugging it around on you back they are too unstable get one of those flat ones i got mine for a £10:t:

Yeah, the 10x25 binos do look a bit cheap. The 10x50s have a good rep (for the money) on this forum though.

I'll take note of what you say about the stove. Though I am planning on lugging it around on my back.

They do sell a rather odd selection of stuff @ Lidl http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090409.p.Unicycle.ar3

Last edited:
My curiosity got the better of me and I decided to take the 5-minute walk to my local Lidl and bought a pair of these (I'm on a bit of an optics-buying bender at the mo, though have got 4 cheap pairs on Ebay to make room lol!). They were quite light for the size and do feel cheap and plasticy. They have the twist-up eyecups rather than rubber roll-down ones, which I prefer. They seem to have a few different 'stops', and they seem to stay there too and not lose their position. The binoculars also come with a rather nice carry case with a couple of different sections for keeping lens covers etc. in. Has a rather nice neck strap too, which I'm tempted to put on my Dialyts as they don't have one - not sure about having a Bresser-printed neckstrap on my Zeisses though!

They're not actually too bad, especially for the price! There is some colour fringing, especially the further you move from the centre of the view. Sharpness is not too bad for the price point, quite sharp in the centre but slipping off a bit at the edge, but for me not too distracting. One annoyance I've found is that it seemed to be hard to get the dioptre adjustment correct and needed a lot of fiddling. Not sure if that's me though, I do tend to struggle to get that adjustment right, especially on cheaper optics.

They're not quite on the same level of clarity as my 40-year old Dialyts, I was viewing in hazy conditions and the Zeiss seemed to cut through the haze a bit better. The Dialyts were also sharper, more contrasty, better colours but that's to be expected!

These would be great though as a backup/car/kids/partner's pair, a good starter pair of bins or perhaps for a bit of bino astronomy. One tip though - test the pair you get in the store to check for alignment etc. I did this after buying them so I could get a refund/replacement if needed.

Just in case anyone is still thinking of getting any of these Lidl Bressers they still have a few (about 10ish) at the Lichfield Lidl branch, also some of the 10x25s still as well :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back