• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confused Hummy (1 Viewer)

Painted Turtle

Just thought I'd share an interesting Ruby-throated Hummingbird antic. There was a male rose-breasted grosbeak sitting on a tree branch near our hummingbird feeder. The ruby-throated hummy flew up to within inches of the red patch on the grosbeaks' breast and hovered there for several seconds. I suppose it was hoping it was a flower filled with nectar. Probably just my imagination, but the grosbeak seemed a bit startled!

Unless the hummingbird was trying to defend their territory - I think they might be willing to take on pretty big birds. I take it that the grosbeak didn't actually move though....

The ruby-throated hummy flew up to within inches of the red patch on the grosbeaks' breast and hovered there for several seconds. I suppose it was hoping it was a flower filled with nectar.
Occasionally a hummingbird will come into the garage and check out every little red item in there. Small red images on boxes, the red handle on the emergency garage closer, etc..

That's interesting that they attend so much to color rather than shape - it's a bit like me and the problems I have identifying birds :-O

That's interesting that they attend so much to color rather than shape - it's a bit like me and the problems I have identifying birds :-O

The Hummers I have are also birds with a strong sense of curiosity. Thet check out everything that changes in their feeding environment. If I move my camera tripod outside they will check it out before feeding.

The Hummers I have are also birds with a strong sense of curiosity. Thet check out everything that changes in their feeding environment. If I move my camera tripod outside they will check it out before feeding.

Yes, I've noticed too that they seem curious. Chickadees are also fairly curious birds - funny how different species have different characteristics like that.

I do wonder how good hummingbirds' sight is. As I've been watching them, I see they do seem to get in close to have a look.

No, the grosbeak didn't move at all. Of course it was only a couple of seconds that the hummingbird hovered close to it.

I've put a new post on my blog today just about our hummingbirds: http://beautyinmyfathersworld.blogspot.com/2013/08/most-brilliant-winner.html

More creative than scientific (I'm not!) but maybe some of you will enjoy it!

It's interesting to notice how some birds ignore some species while others pay a lot of attention (I'm thinking of how some kinds drive off others). I don't know anything about how hummingbirds interact with other species. I did wonder if a hummingbird noticed birds in the yard going to a new feeder, and that's why she checked it out, but nothing there of interest for her!

Nice blog post - these are fascinating little birds and thinking about their beauty and their lives lets us reflect on even bigger things.

I've put a new post on my blog today just about our hummingbirds: http://beautyinmyfathersworld.blogspot.com/2013/08/most-brilliant-winner.html

More creative than scientific (I'm not!) but maybe some of you will enjoy it!
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Speaking of "confused" hummers, a couple of times a year we have hummingbirds that cannot seem to find their way out of my garage, and this is during the day with the two-car garage door wide open. I end up getting them to perch on the end of a broom and then, if I'm lucky, I can take them outside. Takes a while. How can such beautiful little birds, capable of migrating thousands of miles twice a year, be unable to find their way out of my garage? I've tried just leaving the door open and waiting, which seems to work with other birds, but hours later they are still perched on a box up on the cabinets.

Last edited:
Interesting observation! This summer while I've been working in Colorado, I've seen hummingbirds come up to investigate all manner of red/pink/orange objects- such as our large orange tape measure or the flagging on some of our gear.

Short time ago (8/14/13, 6:30p) while sitting on patio, a female Downy Woodpecker lit on a nectar feeder hanging off eave. As usual, camera was in the house, its default setting for "happening things". Two Rubys took immediate exception, just inches from the Downy. Was able to slip around to front door, grab the cam, ease to back door. As soon I cracked the back door, the Downy was off. Those Rubys might be seeing red, but it seems slanted toward the metaphorical in that regard.

Looked like the Downy was lapping up nectar, guess that's another thread.

We've had a male Downy drinking from our feeder but so far he has escaped the wrath of the hummers. You never know what you are going to see next... I try to keep my camera with me when I'm outside but I still miss things, too.

Attachments

• IMG_9577.jpg
    IMG_9577.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 67
The Gila Woodpeckers down here in AZ are always drinking nectar from the feeders -- year round. I asked this question in another thread but no one answered: Do all woodpeckers drink from hummingbird feeders if available?

(ETA: I've seen Hooded Orioles, Bushtits (I think), and White-winged Doves drinking nectar from my feeders.)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back