• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I feel so guilty! (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Bigg

Addicted member
A short while ago I saw this sad little creature on the patio, about a metre away from the windows. At first I thought she was still alive, but when I went out to have a closer look, I could see that I had lost one of my beautiful siskins.

Attachments

• Siskindead.jpg
    Siskindead.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 171
Not a pleasant find at all Elizabeth, my condolences. Do you have any ideas what the cause of death was? Did it fly into the patio windows? Incidentally, does anyone have any bright ideas about how to prevent this all too frequent occurence?

I guessed right away that it had hit a window, and I later realised that there were 3 little fluffy feathers on the glass.

I have heard of people putting silhouettes of hawks on their windows, or cobwebby type things (I have seen both of these in catalogues), but I don't know how effective they are. We don't have many incidents like this - we had one a few months ago, but I think the collared dove had crashed into the window when it was trying to escape from a sparrowhawk, because when I looked a little later, a spawk was on the lawn plucking away at the dove's feathers. I comforted myself that time with the thought that breaking its neck on the window was better than being plucked while still alive!!

Its sad Elizabeth but these things do happen, and yes
silhouettes, do work.

If you are trying to attract songbirds into your garden, presumably the silhouette of a hawk would be counter-productive? There surely must be another way, although I'm damned if I can think what it is.......

Darren, they still come into the garden, just keep away from the porch windows, so no probs this end!
bert.

So sorry, Elizabeth. I know how awful that feels... I think we all do! :(
I just make sure I have something hanging in every window to break up the span of glass. I use suncatchers... just enough to make sure they know they can't go through.
Another thing I've done too is move a few feeders CLOSER to the house along with some feeders right on the windows. If the birds are close enough, in a panic, they HAVE to fly away from the house, instead of towards it. It's been pretty effective this winter with very few accidents.

Your siskin

Elizabeth:
I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your siskin.We do get atached to these wild things.I'm not conviced about shilohettes. I have a pair of Redtailed hawks that bird hunt with windows.They have learned to stoop at a feeding station near windows with hawk decals.The frightened mourning doves crash into the windows and drop stunned.The hawk circles back to pick up the prey.My guess is that in a totally wild area the big hawk would use trees or a cliff side to drive the bird into.Let's hope the remaining siskins have a productive breeding season.
Sam

Attachments

• Raptors 042.jpg
    Raptors 042.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 140
We have net curtains at the windows and vertical blinds over the patio doors and haven't had a bird strike in years, despite having 60+ birds in the garden each day.

I had a collared dove come straight through the (closed) window and zooming round the room quite unfazed.
If they're all that tough it's no wonder we have so many about.
Did me a favour though- when I reglazed I found out that modern glass doesn't distort like the older stuff, and as it was my "birdwatching" window I was well pleased!

Dave

Elizabeth Bigg said:
A short while ago I saw this sad little creature on the patio, about a metre away from the windows. At first I thought she was still alive, but when I went out to have a closer look, I could see that I had lost one of my beautiful siskins.
Elizabeth
Have you got windows at both ends of your room like you would have in a through room and no net curtains? I have read somewhere that this confuses birds into thinking that they can fly through and out the other end as they can see daylight through the far window. If you close the curtains on the far window the other window becomes more like a mirror and the birds can see it as a solid object. I presume a strong light on in the room would have the same effect.

Brett

No it's not a through room - just a wide room with a stretch of around 18 feet of (3) patio doors. I found another siskin on the ground today, but I could see it was still breathing and after about half an hour while I kept watch it flew away. The siskin count went up to around 50 today - though they flit around so much, it's dificult to be precise.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back