• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are You Guilty (1 Viewer)

Suricate

The has been an increase in bird road casualties (especially Kestrels ). This is obviously due to new roads BUT ALL drivers are guilty.
It is all well to make light of a call for raptor culls !!! But even birders in cars kill birds DO YOU,
Suricate

How can you assign guilt when its an accident?

You don't exactly go careering off roads to kill them, one would assume.

If there is guilt to be assigned, how about the unchecked advance of technology and the speed at which life is led?

This thread seems a little inflammatory to me, (and I should know)

Regards

Darren,

It certainly is inflamatory, but nontheless tragically true.

I think I've done over 4,500 miles this year just birding. So even though my membership to various organisations and ALWAYS paying for permits and entry fees at reserves, undeniably helps the cause of birds, my excessive driving probably cancels out all of that.

However, I've never actually hit a bird. But I fear it may only be time...

Darrenom said:
How can you assign guilt when its an accident?

You don't exactly go careering off roads to kill them, one would assume.

If there is guilt to be assigned, how about the unchecked advance of technology and the speed at which life is led?

This thread seems a little inflammatory to me, (and I should know)

Regards
Yes the ignorant abuse is starting again !!
But back to my thread Fact Most animal species can judge objects moving at up to 40 mph. Fact if every driver kept at 40mph or below the estimated 10 million birds that are accidentally killed on our roads would have more than likely survived.
Suricate

No ignorant abuse iintended but the question is not so much one of personal guilt but of collective responsibilty.

Your post seemed to allude to the former.

Your subsequent post has clarified your intended point somewhat.

Darrenom said:
No ignorant abuse iintended but the question is not so much one of personal guilt but of collective responsibilty.

Your post seemed to allude to the former.

Your subsequent post has clarified your intended point somewhat.

As you know there are many adverse affects on all wildlife and there is a growing need for firstly a full understanding of the reasons for bird decline All aspects and secondly the importance for the rehabilitation of wildlife.
Many road accidents are treatable, many poisons can be treated there are so many areas within rehab that are beneficial.
Suricate

We have a family policy of driving cautiously and following speedlimits. We also have one of trying to avoid accidents with wildlife but only to the extent of NOT causing an accident ourselves in trying to miss a critter.

We also still put windows in our homes and offices and that is supposedly the single largest killer of birds, even over habitat destruction.

Hopefully we can find ways to reduce these threats to wildlife, while maintaining our ability to move about and live in a practical home.

Am I guilty?
Well I've never hit anything more than bugs in summer.
I ride a motorbike so I have less emissions per mile and am a smaller target area for wildlife, in fact I'd go as far as to say I'm more likely to be the injured party if I collide with any wildlife.
Bit of a bugger carrying a scope.

Last edited:
Questioning your statement(s)

"The has been an increase in bird road casualties (especially Kestrels ). This is obviously due to new roads BUT ALL drivers are guilty."

Factually incorrect. Roads kill nothing. It's usually the vehicles and impact which do the damage.

"It is all well to make light of a call for raptor culls !!! But even birders in cars kill birds."

Factually incorrect also. It's usually the pressure wave from the front of the vehicle, and the back down-draft from the rear of the vehicle, the former pulling the bird into the latter, which usually creates the problem. This is usually created by high-sided vehicles, not cars. The aerodynamic design of most cars would lead this claim (But even birders in cars kill birds.) into the realm of highly improbable, especially relating to Kestrels and their associated road deaths.
Blackbirds and Pheasants flying low across roads is a different matter. As was the Waxwing which flew from my garden, straight into the side of a stationary double-decker bus. Stupid bird must have thought the bus was picking up passengers. Door was closed, oops!!
I witnessed 2 Owls killed on Monday, by the back-draft of box trailer lorries. The birds never came close to actually hitting the trailers.
Just wrong place at the wrong time.
I wonder if the Sparrowhawk was a hit-man for the mob.
American Robin which knew too much perhaps, see??
Never mind, if it had bred with one of ours, we could have had an "Alliance Robin"? Hey, new tick for the boys!
As for the Budgie, it belongs in the outback, or kept in safety, not in the wild in the U. K.

Malky @ Westhill in mirth mode, at times.

If you look at the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981. It is legal to kill a bird if it is a result of a lawful act. If you break the speed limit or commit any illegal act and a bird dies as a result of that action you are guilty of an offence. One to think over.

Question regarding the W&CA.

"If you look at the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981. It is legal to kill a bird if it is a result of a lawful act."

Just curious, which section states this.

Malky @ Westhill

alcedo.atthis said:
"The has been an increase in bird road casualties (especially Kestrels ). This is obviously due to new roads BUT ALL drivers are guilty."

Factually incorrect. Roads kill nothing. It's usually the vehicles and impact which do the damage.

"It is all well to make light of a call for raptor culls !!! But even birders in cars kill birds."

Factually incorrect also. It's usually the pressure wave from the front of the vehicle, and the back down-draft from the rear of the vehicle, the former pulling the bird into the latter, which usually creates the problem. This is usually created by high-sided vehicles, not cars. The aerodynamic design of most cars would lead this claim (But even birders in cars kill birds.) into the realm of highly improbable, especially relating to Kestrels and their associated road deaths.
Blackbirds and Pheasants flying low across roads is a different matter. As was the Waxwing which flew from my garden, straight into the side of a stationary double-decker bus. Stupid bird must have thought the bus was picking up passengers. Door was closed, oops!!
I witnessed 2 Owls killed on Monday, by the back-draft of box trailer lorries. The birds never came close to actually hitting the trailers.
Just wrong place at the wrong time.
I wonder if the Sparrowhawk was a hit-man for the mob.
American Robin which knew too much perhaps, see??
Never mind, if it had bred with one of ours, we could have had an "Alliance Robin"? Hey, new tick for the boys!
As for the Budgie, it belongs in the outback, or kept in safety, not in the wild in the U. K.

Malky @ Westhill in mirth mode, at times.

Splitting hairs does not remove the fact that over 10 million birds are killed on our roads each year by cars lorries backdraft call it what you like but the statistics show that there is a serious problem regarding road deaths.
Perhaps you find it amusing but there are people that care and do something about helping redress the problem and treating the injured wildlife.
So your crass comments are not even remotely funny I handled enough road casualties already this year.

alcedo.atthis said:
"If you look at the Wildlife and Countryside Act, 1981. It is legal to kill a bird if it is a result of a lawful act."

Just curious, which section states this.

Malky @ Westhill

If you look at Section 4 sub section 2 but read it in conjuntion with Section 1.

It would be hard to prove but the legislation is there.

[If you look at Section 4 sub section 2 but read it in conjuntion with Section 1.

It would be hard to prove but the legislation is there.

Yes, but the decision to be made in Section 4, subsection 2, (b) has to be made by a qualified person.

Mlaky @ Westhill

The thing is, if you drive everywhere at 100mph, you are long gone by the time the bird gets to cross the road anyway.

Or perhaps we should all go back to having a servant walk in front waving a red flag when we're out driving.

Andrew Diment said:
The thing is, if you drive everywhere at 100mph, you are long gone by the time the bird gets to cross the road anyway.

Or perhaps we should all go back to having a servant walk in front waving a red flag when we're out driving.

Thanks Andrew I thought I`d have to go over it again !
Great idea if we all drove at 40mph or less or used public transport we would save or have the potential to save millions of birds. Now this is scientific fact. Making wise cracks about bird deaths says a great deal about your character.
It was a quite straightforward question as I was interested in sensible comments.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back