• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Keyhaven (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
After being cooped up with appalling weather recently, OH and I decided to go down to Keyhaven on the Hampshire coast today. The trip was inspired by a post in the Hampshire section of BF and we were very grateful to Ken for posting as we have had a lovely day.

The weather was sunny with blue skies, and quite a breeze. Certainly blew away all the cobwebs! We saw lots of Little Egrets, Black Headed Gulls, Canada Geese, Brent Geese, Oyster Catchers, Redshank, Wigeon, Curlew, one Little Grebe a Wren and a Pied Wagtail.

Lots of pics to follow ...

Attachments

• Keyhaven 035.jpg
    Keyhaven 035.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Keyhaven mixture.jpg
    Keyhaven mixture.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 23
  • KeyhavenBHGull.jpg
    KeyhavenBHGull.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 23
  • KeyhavenRedshank.jpg
    KeyhavenRedshank.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 31
  • KeyhavenRedshanks.jpg
    KeyhavenRedshanks.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 28

Attachments

• Keyhavenflyinglittleegret.jpg
    Keyhavenflyinglittleegret.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 22
  • KeyhavenLE1.jpg
    KeyhavenLE1.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 18
  • KeyhavenLE2.jpg
    KeyhavenLE2.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 23
  • KeyhavenLE+Oystercatchers.jpg
    KeyhavenLE+Oystercatchers.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 19
And some general views.

Attachments

• Keyhavenview.jpg
    Keyhavenview.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Keyhavenview2.jpg
    Keyhavenview2.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 26
These five were taken by OH.

Attachments

• KeyhavenPiedwagtail.jpg
    KeyhavenPiedwagtail.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 25
  • KeyhavenBHGullflight.jpg
    KeyhavenBHGullflight.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 27
  • KeyhavenCGflight.jpg
    KeyhavenCGflight.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 22
  • KeyhavenPochardflight.jpg
    KeyhavenPochardflight.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 27
  • KeyhavenGrebe.jpg
    KeyhavenGrebe.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 34
Hi Kits,

Nice set of photos there, especially the Egrets; I'm still trying for a flight shot showing the yellow feet!

That's one of my favourite places to visit when I'm 'down South', although I didn't go there this last time. You need to catch the tide right to be really interesting, looks as though you did OK.

Also looks as though the weather wasn't bad, good job that you didn't go yesterday, there was a photo in today's S Times of a man being blown off his feet (he was actually airborne) on the Hurst Point beach (that's the shingle beach that runs out from the bridge).

Next time try Stanpit Marsh (on the S side of Christchurch Harbour) from the Mudeford playing fields entrance. Best on an incoming tide.

Bill

Nice selection there, Kits. It reminds me, yet again, that I could do with a visit to Ferrybridge when the tide is coming in.....

A very nice set of photo's, Kits. A good selection of birds you saw and the views look very appealing!

Well Kits! That's made up for the appalling last few days. Great birds you managed to see and a cracking lot of photo's. That flock of Canada's is super.
The weather must have been gorgeous.

PS, I reckon your Curlew is a Whimbrel. If you are into 'ticking' and havn't got Whimbrel on your list, it might be worth getting a second opinion.

Last edited:
Ooooh! I argued that with OH, Joe. I said whimbrel and he said curlew!

Anyone able to give me a firm ID, please?

Super photo's, Kits. From you & your OH. I like the yellow feet showing on the Little Egret photo's as well. That reed bed looks a good place for Warblers in Spring/Summer.

Next time try Stanpit Marsh (on the S side of Christchurch Harbour) from the Mudeford playing fields entrance. Best on an incoming tide.

Noted! Thanks, Bill.

Thank you all for your comments. Glad you enjoyed the photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back