• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Late Dragonfly (1 Viewer)

Gerry Hooper

Certified User
G'Day All,
We had some sunshine down here in Devon today so I jumped on the bike for an hour or so.
The Black headed gulls were catching flies and a couple of Red Admirals buzzed past, not unusual for November, but I was suprised to see a Dragonfly patrolling a stretch of lane.
It appeared all brown with clear wings, so I presume it's a mummy Migrant Hawker.
It's the first time I've seen a Dragonfly in November.
Are there many other sightings at this time of the year?

That is odd as I was at Kenfig in Glamorgan two days ago and even though it was a bit cool I was surprised and pleased to see a blue and black Dragonfly hawking by a reed bed and maybe a second one close by. This was the highlight of the non feathered variety of the day.

EDIT :

Whoah, whoah! Hold it there, you say you had some sunshine! Some people have all the luck! It was dull up here in Tiverton!

Last edited:
Very sunny up here in Leicestershire at the moment so the report of a Common Darter in the NW of the county this morning is not that unexpected.

Checking last year's records on the county dragonfly website shows two November records - a Migrant Hawker on Nov 2nd and a Common Darter on Nov.7th.

We're a good bit farther north than Devon but, although we've had our share of the windy weather we haven't really had any cold weather yet - no more than a touch of ground frost so while there's small insects around for them to feed on there's no reason why there can't be a few more dragonfly records to come, this year.

Lots of sunshine today but no Butterflies or anything, the air was colder now the wind has moved round.
Thanks for the replies folks.
Let us know if any more Dragons fly past!

Andrew said:
EDIT :

Whoah, whoah! Hold it there, you say you had some sunshine! Some people have all the luck! It was dull up here in Tiverton!

Don't worry Andrew,
It was sunny for only about an hour, we live in a 'microclimate' here on the estuary y'know! It made up for it today elsewhere, hope you enjoyed it!

Saw a large blue/black Dragonfly today along an old hedgerow today, temperature mild for time of year.
Also had a single Pippistrelle out at dusk near our yard.
Both appear late.
What global warming........?
SE

StevieEvans said:
Saw a large blue/black Dragonfly today along an old hedgerow today, temperature mild for time of year.
Also had a single Pippistrelle out at dusk near our yard.
Both appear late.
What global warming........?
SE

Hello Steve,
If your Dragonfly was of the 'Hawker' type, it was almost certainly a specimen of either Common or Migrant Hawker, both species are common enough in your area, and there are other local 'late' records this year.

I am still getting Pippistrilles hunting in the early evening outside my house. It has been mild of late, if somewhat overcast and misty.

Harry
BDS County Recorder for N'land & Durham.
Also,
Cassanova and Drunk of this Parish. :flowers: B :)

No more Dragonflies here but I have seen a Silver Y and a Tortoiseshell.

Unseasonably mild again but colder tomorrow with Northerly winds for the whole country- so they say.

I've seen the odd butterfly lately but not much else. In England (Northamptonshire and Norfolk) I've seen Common Darters and Migrant Hawkers until about the middle of November on a number of occasions.

A Sympetrum dragonfly (almost certainly common darter) was in our garden just now.
Ken
Later: confirmed as common darter when it reappeared later.

Last edited:
I saw a large dragonfly flying over reedbeds (no idea which species) at the London Wetlands centre last Wednesday (17th Nov.) It was cold and windy too!

Keith

You're not going to believe this one folks...
I mentioned the late Dragonfly to my parents in Hampshire this weekend when we were visiting only to hear that my father had a Darter fly past him on Dec 1st !!!
Lucky it wasn't eaten by one of those Swallows hanging still around. :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back