• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (1 Viewer)

Well an unexpected surprise came just as we were about to leave. Dad decided he would drive me to any local birding sites that I wanted to visit.
On Friday, shortly after arriving, we headed to Swanpool. This was dissapointing however, and produced very little of interest.
The rest of the day was spent along various stretches of the Fal Estuary, but we were again out of luck, and saw nothing exciting.
The next day we set off towards the Hayle Estuary. This was enjoyable and worthwhile. Scanning from the car park of Quay House Inn, I picked out a Med Gull, single Sanderling and Curlew Sandpiper among the Dunlin, and a few Whimbrel with the 300 or so Curlews.

On the way back to falmouth we stopped briefly at Marazion Marsh. This, unfortunately, was fruitless, so after a short time we drove on to Stithians where we ended the day. The resevoir and surrounding marshland were very quiet, and held little apart from a family of Little Grebes and a handful of Tufted Ducks.

In all, a good 2 day trip, thanks to all who provided me with information about the county and it's best sites.

Cheers
Jyothi

Well an unexpected surprise came just as we were about to leave. Dad decided he would drive me to any local birding sites that I wanted to visit.
On Friday, shortly after arriving, we headed to Swanpool. This was dissapointing however, and produced very little of interest.
The rest of the day was spent along various stretches of the Fal Estuary, but we were again out of luck, and saw nothing exciting.
The next day we set off towards the Hayle Estuary. This was enjoyable and worthwhile. Scanning from the car park of Quay House Inn, I picked out a Med Gull, single Sanderling and Curlew Sandpiper among the Dunlin, and a few Whimbrel with the 300 or so Curlews.

On the way back to falmouth we stopped briefly at Marazion Marsh. This, unfortunately, was fruitless, so after a short time we drove on to Stithians where we ended the day. The resevoir and surrounding marshland were very quiet, and held little apart from a family of Little Grebes and a handful of Tufted Ducks.

In all, a good 2 day trip, thanks to all who provided me with information about the county and it's best sites.

Cheers
Jyothi

Hello Jyothi, glad you had a good few days. Had the nightjars on Friday night but no Groppers you'll be pleased to know! What time was the Curlew sand on the Estuary? Any Photos? It was very quiet on the estuary that day. Check out the website (cornwall Birding)for bird reports. Let me know if you are down here again. Regards Paul

Kingsmill Lake Saltash and Rame Head

18 Greenshanks,60Curlews,50+ Redshanks,1 Grey Heron,2 Little Egrets,3 Oystercatchers,1Black-taield Godwit,2 shellducks with young.Lots of Buzzards about this morning and 1 smart Sparrowhawk with its prey flew right overhead.

Rame area 2 Weatears in the church yard,1 on the dump field 7 Willow Warblers allong the military road Peregrine flew across the the dump field.

Tamar Bridge Peregrine sat on bridge.

Attachments

• IMG_2422_1.jpg
    IMG_2422_1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2425_1.jpg
    IMG_2425_1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2551_1.jpg
    IMG_2551_1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_2407_1.jpg
    IMG_2407_1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 120
Tav
That Phylosc is a great photo - well done, it's much better than anything I could get.
I think it may be a Chiffchaff though. The yellow plumage tones and orangey legs look good for Willow Warbler, but there are variations, and in such strong sunlight colours will appear much brighter. The reason I think it's a Chiffchaff is because you can clearly see the primary projection and it is far too short for Willow Warbler.
Anyone else care to comment?

Darrell

Hi Darrell i was with Ray and there were 7 of them in the same set of bushes i did say to Ray that they may me Chiffchaff as they were making a hewit hewit as they went down through the bushes.

This is the same bird and i see what you meen about the primary projection, had a look in the collins and it quiet a difference still lots to learn good old camera.

Attachments

• IMG_2549_1.jpg
    IMG_2549_1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 100
Hi Darrell i was with Ray and there were 7 of them in the same set of bushes i did say to Ray that they may me Chiffchaff as they were making a hewit hewit as they went down through the bushes.

Ah - but he's as deaf as a post, which he tells me quite often! ;)

Darrell

Hello Jyothi, glad you had a good few days. Had the nightjars on Friday night but no Groppers you'll be pleased to know! What time was the Curlew sand on the Estuary? Any Photos? It was very quiet on the estuary that day. Check out the website (cornwall Birding)for bird reports. Let me know if you are down here again. Regards Paul
Sorry, no photos. Saw the Curlew Sand at about mid-day, not sure of the exact time but around 12.
Cheers
Jyothi

Sightings Today

First thing at Rame Head had 30+ common Scoter going west and 4 Gannets fishing and 12 LBB gulls.On to Rame Barton 2 Tawny Owls sat out in the sun having a nap,lots of birds around the farm,100+ Barn Swallows,30+ House Martins,20+ Swifts.Allong the Military road had 9 Whitethroats,400+ Greenfinches on the Rape in the top field,meet the farmer who had been in the top fields earlier and said he had not seen so meny for years.Called in at Torpoint on the way home had15 Ternstones,3 Ringed Plover,1 Whimbrel,3 Sandwich Terns,1 Common Tern, 5 Med gulls.

Attachments

• IMG_2636_1.jpg
    IMG_2636_1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2686_1.jpg
    IMG_2686_1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2822_1.jpg
    IMG_2822_1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2836_1.jpg
    IMG_2836_1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2865_1.jpg
    IMG_2865_1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 67
St Germans

Flushed a Geensanpiper from a wet area near the lake, lots of Dragonflies about but not meny birds to be seen.Walked through a wooded area had 2 Treecreepers up high, still hearing Chiffchaffs got a sighting of two allso a few young Bullfinches about in the woods no sign of the peckers.

Attachments

• IMG_3000_1.jpg
    IMG_3000_1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3040_1.jpg
    IMG_3040_1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3051_1.jpg
    IMG_3051_1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2945_filtered_1.jpg
    IMG_2945_filtered_1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2940_1_1.jpg
    IMG_2940_1_1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Kingsmill Lake Saltash

Numbers of Greenshank saw 17, 40+ Redshank,40+ Curlew,7 Dunlin,7Black-taield Godwit,2 Shellduck with 5 young,12 Mallard,3 Little Egret,1 Grey Heron,2 Oystercatcher,1 Ringed Plover,1 Wimbrel and a single Buzzard sat in an old dead tree..

Attachments

• IMG_3080_1.jpg
    IMG_3080_1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3081_1.jpg
    IMG_3081_1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3350_1.jpg
    IMG_3350_1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3250_1.jpg
    IMG_3250_1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3098_1.jpg
    IMG_3098_1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Rame Head this evening

50+ Gannets
3 Raven
1Peregrine
2 Whitethroat
5 Buzzard
5 LBB
2 GBB
50+ Herring gulls
1Kestrel

Attachments

• IMG_2724_1.jpg
    IMG_2724_1.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3407_1.jpg
    IMG_3407_1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3408_1.jpg
    IMG_3408_1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 85
Kingsmill Lake Saltash

25 Greenshank,40+ Redshank.1 Ringed Plover,5 Knot,30+ Curlew,4 Oystercatcher,1 Commmon Sandpiper,2 Shellduck with young 50+ BH gull
1 Grey Heron ,2 Little Egret and 2 Greenwoodpecker on the golf course.

Attachments

• IMG_3572_1.jpg
    IMG_3572_1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3618_1_1.jpg
    IMG_3618_1_1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3087_1.jpg
    IMG_3087_1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3118_1.jpg
    IMG_3118_1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 87
This last week, i've been on holiday in Devon & Cornwall. Had a great time, and whilst i was there i saw:

Bude: Young Mediterranean gull (see picture) on the river Neet with c30 Black headed gulls, and c10 Herring gulls.

Also off Bude, i saw: 1 Balearic shearwater, 5+ Sooty shearwater, 100's of Manx shearwater, too many and too fast to count.

Also saw plenty of Banded & Beautiful demoiselles near where i was staying.

Attachments

• DSC00193a.jpg
    DSC00193a.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC00140a.jpg
    DSC00140a.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC00131a.jpg
    DSC00131a.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 74
This last week, i've been on holiday in Devon & Cornwall. Had a great time, and whilst i was there i saw:

Bude: Young Mediterranean gull (see picture) on the river Neet with c30 Black headed gulls, and c10 Herring gulls.

Also off Bude, i saw: 1 Balearic shearwater, 5+ Sooty shearwater, 100's of Manx shearwater, too many and too fast to count.

Glad you had a good time Nick. Hope the info i sent you was of some use. What date was youir seawatch from Bude and where from exactly? Regards, Paul.

Nick

You sound although you enjoyed your holidays very much.

by the way, I love your pictures of your 'Banded & Beautiful demoiselles'. They are beautiful :t:

Nick

You sound although you enjoyed your holidays very much.

by the way, I love your pictures of your 'Banded & Beautiful demoiselles'. They are beautiful :t:

Thanks for the Demoiselle comments Peewit.

Paul, when i saw the Shearwaters that i mentioned, it was on the 17th August, and i viewed them, from standing on top of a cliff hill just north of Bude haven beach (the place with the most people surfing), and it was just west of Flexbury. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the Demoiselle comments Peewit.

Paul, when i saw the Shearwaters that i mentioned, it was on the 17th August, and i viewed them, from standing on top of a cliff hill just north of Bude haven beach (the place with the most people surfing), and it was just west of Flexbury. Hope this helps.

Thanks, will add them to that days bird reports on the website. Cheers, Paul

Rame Head to Looe From Boat.

Gannets 60+
Curlew 12 heading towards the coast
GBB gull14
LBB gull7
Fulmar 8
Kittywake 4
Herring gull50+
Storm Petrel 50+
Manx Shearwater 1
Balearic Shearwater 3

Attachments

• IMG_3841_filtered_1.jpg
    IMG_3841_filtered_1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3860_filtered_1.jpg
    IMG_3860_filtered_1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4020_1.jpg
    IMG_4020_1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3880_filtered_1.jpg
    IMG_3880_filtered_1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4001_filtered_1.jpg
    IMG_4001_filtered_1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 61
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back