• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 50D accessories (1 Viewer)

Pigeon_Pete

Can some kind person recommend which filter I should get for my Canon 50D 17mm-85mm lens? Also would you recommend an LCD screen protector, and if so what one?

thanks

Merry XMAS

B :)

Most people use a descent make 67mm UV filter for protection.

You can get various screen protectors, I prefer a scratch resistant clear protector which sticks onto the screen.
They normally come as a kit for whatever camera i.e. normaly to cover the rear and top screen.
Easy to fit and make sure you get the type that will not leave any residue, in the event that you want to change It at a later date.

Hope this helps.

You've set them off now , a lens hood does just as good a job to protect glass as what a uv filter does , without the loss in image quality.

You've set them off now , a lens hood does just as good a job to protect glass as what a uv filter does , without the loss in image quality.
I've found 'clear' filters invaluable in protecting lens elements when out & about i.e. car spray, dogs shaking & horse slobbers :eek!:. You can walk around without worrying too much, camera at the ready, leaving you to enjoy your day. With a relatively short focal length, I doubt you'll loose that much IQ if you get a pro one, certainly less than a damaged element from over cleaning long term.
It's all down to personal preference, this happens to be mine.

I agree with Andy i use a clear filter a havent noticed any real loss of quality maybe a more trained eye would notice some but i cant see it myself.

LCD covers are even more pointless than 'protective' filters (and they're pretty pointless). The rear LCD of your 50D already has a protective cover. It's highly scratch-resistant and cheaply (around £15) replaceable. The reason you don't hear of people replacing them is because they're so hard to scratch.

I suppose LCD protector protectors have some advatages over 'protective' filters - at least they don't adversely effect imaqe quality and they're cheap. A good filter can cost about the same as a replacement front element of the lens it's 'protecting'.

Many thanks for all the replies folks. I am a novice just starting out and appreciate your help.

Now if anyone wants help training their dog..........let me know ;)

But AndyMc what happens if you don`t use a short focal length and prefer longer focal lengths ?
Again, it's up to the user & what he's happy with.

I'm no expert, but there's more glass in a tele. More glass = more image degradation. Add this to the additional difficulties of taking the pin sharp photos in the first place, then it leaves less room for error in pulling out any detail. To quote ''the filter is yet another light barrier''.

I was glad of having one on mine in a field. On returning to the car, the front of my lens was covered in bright yellow pollen. Difficult to remove the staining, I simply put the filter under the tap.:t: I wouldn't do that with a lens:eek!:.
My own jury is still out, but when on walkabout, I think I'll be leaving it on - possibly removing it if in the comfort :smoke:eek:f a hide.

If you have any recomended settings for a 50D I would be grateful as I sometimes struggle to get detailed photos. They look pretty good on the camera but when i get them on the computer it is a little dissapointing.

I am just a novice Paul, but are you using the RAW file or JPEG option?

Just a thought, the CANON PHOTO EDITING software settings for downloading can be set at low resolution as default..

Attachments

• RAW.jpg
    RAW.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I use a Canon 400mm f5.6 lens Andy. I suspect that this has considerably less glass than the zoom equivalent.

Jpeg Pete I don't understand the raw file nor have the time to mess and convert it.

I think you should learn how to use RAW unless you are happy to continue being dissapointed. There is really not much to it and you can make sure you have the right exposure, colour balance and contrast.

a qiuck tip for anyone considering putting a screen protector on their 50d use a screen protector for a nintendo ds there more or less the same size but a damn site cheaper

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back