• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cameron Highlands - Pahang, Malaysia (1 Viewer)

Rachael Smith

We spent the weekend up in Cameron Highlands - great spot, anyway there were a few birds we're not too sure of - some confirmation/suggestions would be much appreciated.
I have 10 shots so will load two sets - the first ones we are thinking are,
1 & 5 Cutia (I only have the 2 pics of this, it fits but wasn't behaving like we expected - it was perched calling for a bit then dropped down into the bush)
2 & 3 Large Niltava Female (again only the two shots sorry)
4. We are 'debating' whether this is a Niltava or a White-tailed Robin, I think it was bigger than a Robin, I do have more shots but they are very blurred, can load if necessary (I will load another as # 6 in the next post)

Attachments

• id cutia.jpg
    id cutia.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 77
  • id large niltava.jpg
    id large niltava.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 73
  • id large niltava 2.jpg
    id large niltava 2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 82
  • id niltava_robin.jpg
    id niltava_robin.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 112
  • id cutia 1.jpg
    id cutia 1.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 93
Ok, here are the other shots
6. the other Niltava/Robin pic
7 & 8. Siberian Thrush - Male, we can't figure out what else this could be, but the body seemed more grey than black - can't find many pics of a male to compare though.
9 & 10. We are debating whether this is a Thrush or a Flycathcher - nothing more specific I'm afraid, I only got these two shots of this bird, it was sitting just out of view across the track calling, we didn't see it until some other people 'flushed' it out, then it didn't hang around as our 4 year old was in a 'loud' mood.

Attachments

• id niltava_robin 2.jpg
    id niltava_robin 2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 61
  • id siberian thrush.jpg
    id siberian thrush.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 121
  • id siberian thrush 2.jpg
    id siberian thrush 2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 74
  • id thrush_flycatcher.jpg
    id thrush_flycatcher.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 65
  • id thrush_flycatcher 2.jpg
    id thrush_flycatcher 2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 64
Hi Rachael,

1 & 5 Cutia (excellent find - difficult bird)
2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 10 - Large Niltava - no white in tail and note contrast between face and crown.
7, 8 - Siberian Thrush.

Check out www.orientalbirdimages.org for some good comparisons....

Cheers,

James

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back