• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best inexpensive spotting scope (1 Viewer)

antde

Hello all,

I am new to this board. I work as a Wildlife/Fisheries stockroom manager at university in California. I have been charged with scoping out (pun entirely intended) the best spotting scope for the dollar with a $500 max limit. We currently stock the Bushnell Spacemaster, a fine little scope for the money. It appears the Nikon Field and Sky might be a good choice to replace the Bushnell. Any reports on the Nikon (or any other comparable priced scope), especially as compares to the Bushnell would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!

Hi antde and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

You might want to check out Eagle Optic's Raven scope. It was my very first scope and it was a lot of scope for the money.

antde said:
Hello all,

I am new to this board. I work as a Wildlife/Fisheries stockroom manager at university in California. I have been charged with scoping out (pun entirely intended) the best spotting scope for the dollar with a $500 max limit. We currently stock the Bushnell Spacemaster, a fine little scope for the money. It appears the Nikon Field and Sky might be a good choice to replace the Bushnell. Any reports on the Nikon (or any other comparable priced scope), especially as compares to the Bushnell would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!

I agree, the Eagle Optics Raven is hard to beat at that price. My wife has one and it beats the Nikon she had before by leaps and bounds.

Jaeger near Chicago

PS-yes, I am an Eagle fan but have no interest in them other than being a satisfied customer several times.

Jaeger01 said:
I agree, the Eagle Optics Raven is hard to beat at that price. My wife has one and it beats the Nikon she had before by leaps and bounds.

Jaeger near Chicago

PS-yes, I am an Eagle fan but have no interest in them other than being a satisfied customer several times.
I think Kowa are a good choice for near top scopes, but Nikon FSIII takes some beating.

antde said:
Hello all,

You might also want to think about the Minox spotting scope $499 at B and H
for the non ED version. Its waterproof, quite compact and had good scores in a recent spotting scope review (Birdwatchers digest). I managed to get a refurbished one recently for a very reasonable price and have bee quite pleased. Minox used to be associated with/part of Leica but I believe are now independent so you know the optics are probably good quality.
http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/site/optics/scopes03.pdf

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back