• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Filter for canon lens (1 Viewer)

andrew_chick

Lincolnshire Birder
Hi

I have just brought a new Canon lens. To protect my investment should I also invest in a filter to protect the lens?

It requires a 77mm filter, can someone confirm, that I don't need to but a Canon filter, and that a generic UV Skylight filter would be fine?

Thanks

Andrew

any generic 77mm filter should fit your lens... whether using a filter is a good plan is a subbject that has been debated many times on BF. Some feel that a filter has a noticeably detrimental effect on image quality, while others feel protecting the lens is vital. One thing that I think the majority would agree on is that if you do decide to fit a filter make sure you buy a good quality one and not a cheap one... no point spending all that money on a Canon lens and then putting cheap glass in front of it!

andrew_chick said:
Hi

I have just brought a new Canon lens. To protect my investment should I also invest in a filter to protect the lens?

It requires a 77mm filter, can someone confirm, that I don't need to but a Canon filter, and that a generic UV Skylight filter would be fine?

Thanks

Andrew

I normally use B+W multicoated filters on my Canon lenses, though on a Sigma lens I have used a Sigma multicoated filter. None of them would appear to degrade the image. I used to use Hoya filters in my film days,(before I had heard of B+W) however, they are a real devil to keep clean without smudging, particularly if you get a drop of rain on them.

If you are going to get a filter I would suggest a decent one. I bought a 77mm HOYA PRO1 Digital filter - strange thing is that it is ok on the 17-40 lens with little or no image deterioration but the same filter on my 400mm f5.6 lens shows definate IQ deterioration. Needless to say I keep it on the 17-40 but do not use it on the 400mm prime.

Roy C said:
If you are going to get a filter I would suggest a decent one. I bought a 77mm HOYA PRO1 Digital filter - strange thing is that it is ok on the 17-40 lens with little or no image deterioration but the same filter on my 400mm f5.6 lens shows definate IQ deterioration. Needless to say I keep it on the 17-40 but do not use it on the 400mm prime.

Reminds me of a poor filter on my first decent 300 f4.5 (a Minolta MD lens), many years ago. With the filter in place, I could not focus my new lens on objects at infinity, whilst there was no problem with the bare lens. My "filter" was behaving like a long focus close-up lens, and with the 300 f4.5 its depth of field at long distances was short enough to show that I had a problem. In my case, changing to a Hoya HMC filter cured the problem.

I am on my second Hoya filter for my 400 5.6L. I think there is a small loss in quality but this may also be down to my technique! However the first filter stopped a nasty scratch when I caught a stray length of barbed wire while climbing over a style (this was even with the hood extended). I now use the filter when out in roughish terrain and remove for 'safer' locations.

Hope this helps

Rhod

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back