• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D - Focus at f8. (1 Viewer)

hollis_f

I was asked by somebody on PotN to try out the 7D's AF using a non-reporting TC on a 100-400. As I guess most people know, with the earlier xxD series it became increasingly difficult to use the non-reporting TC (or taping contacts on a TC) to fool the camera into AF. Was the 7D any better - worse?

The news is good - surprisingly good! I used an old Teleplus 1.5x TC - which doesn't report the decrease in aperture - on my 100-400. All the focus modes I tried (single, zone, expanded) focused quite quickly. Every point I tried was as good as the central one.

Indeed, the AF on the 7D was better than on my 20D (where it was just about usable) and loads better than the 40D (needed masses of light) or 50D (totally useless).

It's grey and overcast here today. At f8 (reported f5.6), ISO400, I'm getting shutter speeds of 1/120 to 1/60 - light that would have had all my previous cameras hunting all over the place. I wouldn't say the focus snapped - but it was certainly usable.

This gives me some incentive to try stacking 1.4x and 2x TCs on my 300 - when the light's a bit better.

I was asked by somebody on PotN to try out the 7D's AF using a non-reporting TC on a 100-400. As I guess most people know, with the earlier xxD series it became increasingly difficult to use the non-reporting TC (or taping contacts on a TC) to fool the camera into AF. Was the 7D any better - worse?

The news is good - surprisingly good! I used an old Teleplus 1.5x TC - which doesn't report the decrease in aperture - on my 100-400. All the focus modes I tried (single, zone, expanded) focused quite quickly. Every point I tried was as good as the central one.

Indeed, the AF on the 7D was better than on my 20D (where it was just about usable) and loads better than the 40D (needed masses of light) or 50D (totally useless).

It's grey and overcast here today. At f8 (reported f5.6), ISO400, I'm getting shutter speeds of 1/120 to 1/60 - light that would have had all my previous cameras hunting all over the place. I wouldn't say the focus snapped - but it was certainly usable.

This gives me some incentive to try stacking 1.4x and 2x TCs on my 300 - when the light's a bit better.
Sound promising Frank, I wonder what it will be like with a reporting tc (taped) as the non reporters have always seemed to AF better than the taped ones for some reason.
AF good be pretty reasonable with staked tc's on the 300/2.8. I tried this a few weeks ago and was getting AF on the 40D (although it did hunt at times).

I think it is going to be the new AF system that could make this Camera a real winner, especially among birders.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back