• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine falcon found the waterer... (1 Viewer)

OnTheVerge

It's been freezing cold and snowy here the last few days. I've been refilling feeders and even just scattering some feed on the snow for the squirrels and other birds (juncos) to help get them through this tough time. On the plus side, the feeders have never been busier and there's been a huge variety of birds.

The problem is the waterer. It's about 5 feet away from the tree that holds the majority of the feeders and sees the most action. I've had a few birds stop by and get water but that don't feed at the feeders. Fine, that's great.

The problem is that a peregrine falcon (maybe two) has found the waterer, as well. It's currently -30 degrees outside so I imagine most of other water sources are frozen. The falcon(s) are going to the waterer a few times a day and either picking off the slow birds (RIP little nuthatch) or just hanging out. Either way, the rest of the birds are too scared to feed.

It's been 2 days now and the little birds aren't getting their water or their feed. I know there's other food for them (hopefully) in the area, but obviously my daily visitors - who often fed/drank from sun up to sun down - are now bereft of their normal sustenance.

What do I do? I'm happy the falcons have found water but I don't want it to be at the expense of the smaller birds. I put a waterer out by the other feeder (in the backyard) but the smaller birds don't go there because it's too exposed.

Any thoughts?

I think you are very lucky to have 2 Peregrines in your garden, however see your point regarding the other birds, I have a similar problem with a local Sparrowhawk.
I'm sure they will move along soon but do not think ther is much you can do apart from chase them away and that I would not recommend as they also need rest and water.

Regards Damian.

Perhaps if you give them something to gorge on (more expense!) it will take the edge off their appetite for small birds?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back