• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I want a bird feeder (1 Viewer)

See if you have a Wild Birds Unlimited or other such store in your area, they can help you with what type is best for your neck of the woods.

Your local Audubon branch should be helpful.
Your location is good for woodpeckers and similar forest birds, so maybe a suet feeder would be nice, but you really cannot go wrong with a sunflower seed feeder.
There is a plethora of feeder models, some are listed for sale here:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...=aps&hvadid=3480509258&ref=pd_sl_3g8x0kh6i3_e

Which model works for you depends on your site. A pole feeder is good if you have a yard, while a hanging feeder may be better if you're an apartment dweller. You may want to start very low key, just to get a sense of what sorts of critters you get, because sparrows, starlings and pigeons can take over susceptible feeders. Squirrels and raccoons have very hearty appetites as well, so if these are neighbors, select feeders that are less vulnerable to them.

I 2nd the need to make sure your birdfeeder is squirrel resistant if you have either chipmunks or squirrels in your area. They'll find the feeder and gobble down the food in short order!

Any type of tube feeder should work fine for black sunflower seed, which is the best all-round seed. But look for a squirrel-proof one if you can - and definitely don't buy a plastic one (cos squirrels will eat through the sides).

I find suet cakes in a small green cage work really well and bring in all sorts of birds. I protect mine from squirrels by hanging a black metal anti-squirrel "hat" over it. The cages only cost a couple of dollars and the cakes are often around a dollar in supermarkets.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back