• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackcaps in British gardens (1 Viewer)

kevparr

Has anyone noticed fewer blackcaps about this winter?

I wonder whether, with the milder weather across Europe, fewer birds have hopped across the channel this season or have the westerly winds kept them further east.

best kev

Fewer in my Cheshire garden than previous years. Maximum 2 males whereas last year I had 4-5 individuals

I've had none this year, last winter I had at least one pair all winter with up to 4 birds at various times.

I have had this beauty which might not have been tolerated by last year's aggressive female so can't complain.

Attachments

• LW1.jpg
    LW1.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 69
Thanks both - I've had none at all this year. It'll be interesting to see if the pattern is widespread.

Is that a lesser whitethroat? Amazing!

Definitely fewer this winter; 3 (2m,1f) compared to 7 last and previous winters. Hope it is just that the weather is warmer, not that they had a bad breeding season. Maybe more will arrive as winter drags on, especially if we have a cold snap- not that I'm wishing for one!

We run a small shop in east sussex selling bird food/ feeders etc and so get feedback regularly from customers about what they've had in. Blackcaps are certainly one with a lot less reports this winter, only a handful of sightings in gardens round here. As mentioned in the original post, the mild weather has meant fewer birds altogether really.

Any thoughts welcomed.

I can offer nothing on the bird's origins but I do think, 'wow!' - lovely bird to have in a winter garden....

Thank you all for your responses - the lack of blackcaps is not just limited to Dorset it seems. The fact that Joe Rawles is in East Sussex and reports are noticeably lower suggests that perhaps birds haven't come over from Europe in great number.

Well I'd certainly say that it's an excellent candidate for an eastern bird (although I guess there was never really any doubt about that). I'd be cautious about taking an ID any further though, particularly with no good shots of the outer two tail feathers.

Well I'd certainly say that it's an excellent candidate for an eastern bird (although I guess there was never really any doubt about that). I'd be cautious about taking an ID any further though, particularly with no good shots of the outer two tail feathers.

You're probably right. The bird managed to miss the ringer's net - by two days! So no dropped feathers for DNA.

Still no Blackcaps, Coal Tit being the highlight of the past week.

At odds with the ''norm'' this Winter, I've had two separate sightings of male Blackcap and a female since Jan 1. I never normally get them between Nov-Jan!

Don't have much previous to compare to, but here in Falmouth (pretty much far SW England) had 5 in the garden maybe 3 weeks back on ivy, saw a fair few around the same time on palms too in my walk to the coast. Not so many recently (although one in flight today). Kind of assumed they were moving through ...

Lesser whitethroat.

Thanks both - I've had none at all this year. It'll be interesting to see if the pattern is widespread.

Is that a lesser whitethroat? Amazing!
A splendid find what date
was this bird photographed because I would just like to add that in
Derbyshire in December a lesser whitethroat was photographed at
garden feeders on two dates and this species only winters
occasionally in the uk.

Lesser whitethroat

The Lesser Whitethroat I previously mentioned was still present throughout
January and it has been Identified as a Eastern race bird, Prior to this we
had a lesser whitethroat in the winter of 1997 in derbyshire.

With this mild weather this winter it would be interesting to know how many lesser white throats have over wintered here and if so how many of the eastern race.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back