• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX60? (1 Viewer)

The two things that interest me most would be IQ (inc noise) and AF performance - both are unknown as far as I can see so I certainly would not rule it yet.

I agree, and would add quality of evf, the specification doesn't mean much; it'll be the reviews, once it comes out, that I'll be interested in. And the price!

Biggest thing for me would be a decent manual focussing system, not the awful electronic thing they have on the SX50. Trying to focus on a bird in a hedge or a busy foreground is a nightmare

Disappointing that the sensor size is the same, I was hoping for some larger even though it would have meant an heavier/bigger Camera. Its hard to see that noise levels and AF performance is going to be much better.

Why would you need an ultrasound microphone? Recording dog whistles?

For the bats, of course. http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=289675

But even without such a mic, it could be a great camera. It seems the SX60 has a technology which automatically choses from 8 modes, to opimize the IS. And a high-speed AF combined with the option to shoot bursts of 6.4 fps, instead of just 2.2 fps for the SX50.

Last edited:
Still a crappy evf. Missing more than half the dots than the 4 yearold Sony 200v.

It does claim to be considerably improved. Not being a SX50 user I'm not really sure what that one was like but, as a mainly SLR user, I do find using the evf on a bridge camera about the hardest thing. In fact last time I used my old Fuji it drove me so nuts that I haven't used it again.

i've had the SX50 from day one & i'm primarily a video guy, but i reckon the SX60 will be an even greater birding video/movie tool now due to the addition of the mic input jack (it was one of my hopes for this upgrade) I'll now be able to use my Rode Videomic Pro on it! and that will be awesome. I'll be buying it just for that feature alone . . oh, and the higher res' LCD.

It does claim to be considerably improved. Not being a SX50 user I'm not really sure what that one was like but, as a mainly SLR user, I do find using the evf on a bridge camera about the hardest thing. In fact last time I used my old Fuji it drove me so nuts that I haven't used it again.

TBH I can't stand the much higher res HX300 evf compared to the optical DSLR stuff. That being said I do use my HX300 as a digital scope so much i don't bother taking binos if i have a DSLR on me...so i guess it works.

There is talk about no buffer as the SX60 will burst until the card is full. That is a huge advantage and in itself might be worth buying. One thing that always pisses me off with SONY, they don't put buffers in their gear. Even their High end DSLR stuff has a weak buffer and the HX300 and 400 lock you out for 15 or so seconds. I must of missed at least 1,000 pictures being locked out with the HX300.

I would really miss that S button. I use it to toggle the teleconverter.

Looking at more photos, the S button has not been removed. It's been moved and is on top next to the on/off power button. That strikes me as a poor decision to put it right next to the power button, causing a good bit of frustrated unintended power-offs! But at least it's not gone.

Canon is claiming the new CMOS and DIGIC 6 processor improve low light capability. I'd like to see some side by side images of something in the shadows or at dusk, with high zoom, SX50 vs SX60, before I believe that low light quality is significantly improved.

Clearly this is not a no-brainer upgrade for an SX50 owner. I'd want to see that it's better than the SX50 with some critical side by side comparisons.

According to the website specs, they got rid of the High-Speed Burst HQ shooting mode. While I don't use that much any more it can be handy for a sitting still bird that keeps moving it's head about. However continuous shooting speed is now 6.4 shots per second instead of 2.2.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back