• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Gold Ring HD 8x32 versus SV 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Hello Lulubelle,

If you have some interest in the Conquests, check out the demos, $679, at Cameralandny.com

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=zeissconquesthd8x32

I bought my Zeiss FL binocular, from them as a Demo, nine years, ago.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:
I bought my Conquests 8x32 HD's form Cameralandny also. They were like new. Good glass. Maybe a little better optically than the GR but not quite the SV. The GR's have a better build quality than the Conquest's. No doubt about that. Your better off paying the extra $500 and getting the SV.

Last edited:
However, as much as some of us appreciate great glass, not everyone will pay the $2000 or more to have them. I could buy a pair tonight, but am not unhappy enough with the view I have to do so. Don't feel less than because I can't or won't. To each his own.

This is a great point. I'm a wildlife professional who uses binoculars on an almost daily basis and at this moment could easily purchase a set of 'alphas'. I have looked through and at times owned the best (Swaro EL), but after purchasing the Kowa Genesis I now own (which are of similar quality and style to the GR) and finding very little/no difference with what I consider the best (Swaro SLC HD), I see no reason to shell out >2x the funds. Others find the slight differences in optics, build, and ergonomics enough of a reason. There is no need to demean others or their binocular purchases, nor is it necessary to make assumptions about other's reasoning for said purchases.

This is a great point. I'm a wildlife professional who uses binoculars on an almost daily basis and at this moment could easily purchase a set of 'alphas'. I have looked through and at times owned the best (Swaro EL), but after purchasing the Kowa Genesis I now own (which are of similar quality and style to the GR) and finding very little/no difference with what I consider the best (Swaro SLC HD), I see no reason to shell out >2x the funds. Others find the slight differences in optics, build, and ergonomics enough of a reason. There is no need to demean others or their binocular purchases, nor is it necessary to make assumptions about other's reasoning for said purchases.
I agree with that but I also don't begrudge anybody for wanting an alpha. For a lot of people the little differences don't make much difference when using the binocular. For me the little ergonomic and optical differences make it worth the difference in price. I also appreciate the resale and retained value of the alpha's when trading up and also the excellent customer service of a company like Swarovski when you have trouble. Honestly I must admit I like the brand recognition you get with a Swarovski also. When I was in Yellowstone this year their was a bunch of people pulled off the road trying to spot a Grey Timber Wolf that somebody had caught a fleeting glimpse of so I pulled off the road and pulled out my SV's to scan the valley and I immediately spotted this huge male wolf standing there just big as you please staring me down. It was a beautiful sight. Just an awesome sight in that pristine wilderness up there! When I told the other people where he was they looked at my binoculars with respect and awe and said "Well if anybody could spot him he could. He has Swarovski's and those are really good glass" It is stuff like that makes you feel good and sometimes that extra 5% of optical performance is worth it when you see a Grizzly Bear or a rare sight like a Timber Wolf in the wild. It is amazing how recognizable Swarovski's are to a lot of people.

I agree with that but I also don't begrudge anybody for wanting an alpha. For a lot of people the little differences don't make much difference when using the binocular. For me the little ergonomic and optical differences make it worth the difference in price.

I agree, hence why I said not to demean others in a general sense, not just those who purchase 'budget' options. ;) You must only justify your purchases to yourself (and maybe your significant other...).

Justin

I agree, hence why I said not to demean others in a general sense, not just those who purchase 'budget' options. ;) You must only justify your purchases to yourself (and maybe your significant other...).

Justin
"(and maybe your significant other...)."

Often times that is the hardest part!

Wow, Dennis is the one selling the GR for $700+?! Wow! Good luck with that! I saw that and was stunned at the starting bid! I have Bryce's GR HD 8x32 and while I really appreciate it, I wouldn't buy it for $700! Dennis, I am not sure what to make of this new you!

Well you have my second, I have had three 8x32's, binoboy bought my last one begrudgingly!!!

I would still have it if my wife could've handled the focus.

She isn't as experienced handling glass, she needs a slower focus.

That said the gr hd's are excellent all the way around.

I kinda wished I kept one for safe keeping along with the se.

Bryce...

I agree with that but I also don't begrudge anybody for wanting an alpha. For a lot of people the little differences don't make much difference when using the binocular. For me the little ergonomic and optical differences make it worth the difference in price. I also appreciate the resale and retained value of the alpha's when trading up and also the excellent customer service of a company like Swarovski when you have trouble. Honestly I must admit I like the brand recognition you get with a Swarovski also. When I was in Yellowstone this year their was a bunch of people pulled off the road trying to spot a Grey Timber Wolf that somebody had caught a fleeting glimpse of so I pulled off the road and pulled out my SV's to scan the valley and I immediately spotted this huge male wolf standing there just big as you please staring me down. It was a beautiful sight. Just an awesome sight in that pristine wilderness up there! When I told the other people where he was they looked at my binoculars with respect and awe and said "Well if anybody could spot him he could. He has Swarovski's and those are really good glass" It is stuff like that makes you feel good and sometimes that extra 5% of optical performance is worth it when you see a Grizzly Bear or a rare sight like a Timber Wolf in the wild. It is amazing how recognizable Swarovski's are to a lot of people.

Dennis - you are a trip. I can pull up old quotes from you to me saying that I and others were "Swaro fan boys" and statements from you stating " I hate Swarovski" and saying they are just a status symbol etc etc along with many others. I can also bring up quotes where you basically blasted my opinions ( my positive ones) concerning the 8x32 SV.

And now you are SV and Swarovski all the way. Like I said you are a trip.

Last edited:
Dennis - you are a trip. I can pull up old quotes from you to me saying that I and others were "Swaro fan boys" and statements from you stating " I hate Swarovski" and saying they are just a status symbol etc etc along with many others. I can also bring up quotes where you basically blasted my opinions ( my positive ones) concerning the 8x32 SV.

Once they told him
"Well if anybody could spot him he could. He has Swarovski's and those are really good glass"
his chest swelled with pride. 3:) :-O

Jesus Christo, I wouldnt have believed an adult would type that out.

Wow, Dennis is the one selling the GR for $700+?! Wow! Good luck with that! I saw that and was stunned at the starting bid! I have Bryce's GR HD 8x32 and while I really appreciate it, I wouldn't buy it for $700! Dennis, I am not sure what to make of this new you!

Well you have my second, I have had three 8x32's, binoboy bought my last one begrudgingly!!!

Bryce...
"Wow, Dennis is the one selling the GR for $700+?! Wow! Good luck with that! I saw that and was stunned at the starting bid!"

The Leupold Gold Rings 8x32 HD sold for $750(plus $20 shipping) in less than two days on Ebay. They are already on their way to South Carolina. I had over 190 views and 16 watchers in that time. I guess there is quite a demand for them since they are no longer made.

Stephen. I respect your binocular experience but you seem to be obtuse to the fact that peoples opinions of different binoculars or anything can change with time and experience. You tend to learn more about optics the more you have them and hence opinions can change. Have you had the same brand of car for the last 5 years? Same difference. Now a light bulb probably went off in your head!

Last edited:

Bryce...
The GR HD's are excellent. The only down side which has been remarked on many times before is they are heavy. The focus is very smooth, they have great optics with a wide FOV and the build quality is great. They are great binoculars.

The GR HD's are excellent. The only down side which has been remarked on many times before is they are heavy. The focus is very smooth, they have great optics with a wide FOV and the build quality is great. They are great binoculars.

Yes they are, to bad Leupold backed out on this model.

They have gotten more noticed once they were chit canned?

Bryce...

Once they told him his chest swelled with pride. 3:) :-O

You know it DID make me proud to think that that many people recognized a Swarovski binocular. Childish though it may be. And you know that extra $500 I paid to be looking at that Timber Wolf and later in the day a Grizzly Bear with an alpha binocular seemed a paltry sum to pay to know I had the very best view I could possibly have had of those two magnificent animals at that point in time.

Dennis,

No, you didn't have the best view. If you would have kept your Canon IS, that would have given you the best view. Unless you had your SV on a tripod, you did not even come close.

Once they told him his chest swelled with pride. 3:) :-O

I'm going to go ahead and apologize now for the comment I made, it it detracts from the myth of southern hospitality that many seem to believe in. I still grow very tired of the comments that if others could afford them they would all buy them, but the comment was beneath me.

Sorry Dennis.

I guess basic reading comprehension is not among whatever strong points you have. Nobody, in particular not me, is claiming these to be "Alpha Ass Kickers". If you happened to actually read my post here on the GR vs the SV, you would have seen I granted the point that Swarovski is likely the better binocular. Yeah I like my GR's a lot and until something comes along that proves them selves to my eye to be better, I'm not busting any part of my anatomy looking to upgrade. I'm not talking about better with regards to specification sheets or forum idolization either. I'm talking about differences obvious enough to me that I don't need to squint myself blind trying to ferret out whatever differences there are.

I will repeat the sentiment that I am glad you have the SV and I am glad you like it. I also am glad I actually lived long enough the find out that you actually have to have "balls" to buy one. I cede my position (one never sought by me and apparently granted by you, even if I'm not quite sure you have that authority) as "The MAN" on this forum to you. Since you have the balls to buy a SV, you actually deserve it more than I do. :t:

Bruce, you asked a question here that wondered if you had become the next Dennis. From me, the answer is yes you have. ;)

Post in peace here Bruce, and to anyone wondering...No my feathers are not mussed up here. There were just some comments that needed a response...that's all. Dennis and Bruce in combination are more than enough "entertainment". B :)

I have sought a way to illustrate the importance of some of the subjects, here, being forward enough to get my point across without being taken as offensive. I think I found one this morning.

In a “Freelance Writers” forum I go into occasionally, a fellow asked a SIMPLE question about 6 weeks ago. The answer was equally simple.

It went:

“Should I use ONE or TWO spaces after a PERIOD?” Now, that’s a short straightforward question.

A writer would never have asked that question in the first place; he or she would have known.

I answered his question in an equally straightforward manner:

“In American English (different countries have slightly different rules on such matters), you use only ONE if you are using a computer—possibly two if you’re still using a typewriter.”

As an aside, I followed the comment with the fact that, these days, typed m/ss usually go straight to the circular file, so it really doesn’t matter.

Someone backed me up with, “Nothing says you’re over 40 more than using TWO spaces after a period. Thus, the question was answered AND backed up with practical substantiation.

Today, 6 weeks later, the thread had grown dramatically—filled with phrases like:

“I always use …,” “I try to use …,” “Some people say …,” “I think it’s …,” “It’s probably what you like,” and myriad other permutations.

Were these people “writers,” or wannabe writers? As I look over my left shoulder I see:

—The Chicago Manual of Style
—The AP Style Book
—The Elements of Style, and
—Anne Stilman’s Grammatically Correct

New, these books would cost about $120. I bought them all used (but in NEW condition) for less than $30. Was it that the cost was price-prohibitive, or that some people find more pleasure in TALKING about being a “writer” than applying the research and actions necessary to be one?

Was the question to get an answer or start an avalanche of idle talk? The question was answered early on, but people just wouldn’t let it go; each had to be heard speculating on the non-speculative. Were beginners edified … or confused? Who was served, the sincere questioner, or those who had to have the world know what THEY (perhaps not those who sign the paychecks) prefer to use!?

Just before blowing a fuse, I’m sure some folks wonder why this logic is so important to me. The reason is that there are those who really want to know about 139 aspects of binoculars and the industry. But, we seem to be forever stuck on #4. I would like to see us move forward. But, maybe that’s not what these forums are all about.

Bill (Your friendly neighborhood curmudgeon) out. :cat:

Stephen:

I like your posts and share much of the same experience you have with
those optics.

My question, is why do you and others bother replying to the troll that
likes to "haunt"|=o| this forum. Its Halloween, and I'm trying to make
things easier for you.

I have put D on ignore, and that is a good thing.

Jerry

Stephen:

I like your posts and share much of the same experience you have with
those optics.

My question, is why do you and others bother replying to the troll that
likes to "haunt"|=o| this forum. Its Halloween, and I'm trying to make
things easier for you.

I have put D on ignore, and that is a good thing.

Jerry

Jerry,

Your point is well taken. I thought the same thing of myself after typing it out. I am well past in any way trying to figure that fella out. His switching opinions and flipping etc, and insulting others opinions and then changing again has been both an amusement and an irritation at the same time. And I have taken a few swings his way- after all he does give you big fat softballs that are easy to hit.

But- you are correct, I should just completely ignore him from now on.

Have a great weekend

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back