• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tadpoles (1 Viewer)

Tanny

What's going on! my Taddies are not changing to Froggies. They were spawned last April in a little pond I have outside my back door. Yesterday I gathered them all up and put them into a couple of bowls in the greenhouse.

Attachments

• Taddy 1.JPG
    Taddy 1.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 155
  • Taddy 2.JPG
    Taddy 2.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Taddy 3.JPG
    Taddy 3.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 150
Hi Tanny.

A percentage of the population stay as taddies overwinter,This acts as an insurance policy against land based disasters(Forest fire etc )

A percentage of Pupae do a similar thing by the way by overwintering twice (or more)

Last edited:
It's not at all uncommon, and it would be better if you left them, I think. I would imagine that if you somehow got them to become frogs now (in October) they might well have problems.

I never knew that Dave, Colin. I always thought they changed to frogs, or Toads each year. Are these fragile creatures able to withstand being frozen into the ice, or can they survive in little pockets of water under the ice. I will be putting them back into the pond after what you have said, and thanks fellers for teaching me something new about nature.

It would have to be very cold indeed for anything other than the tiniest pond to freeze solid. Tadpoles (and indeed other aquatic animals) are quite able to live in the unfrozen water under the surface ice - in fact it is quite often warmer under there than it is out in the open.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back