• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Shorebirds, SE Florida (1 Viewer)

jocateme

All these pictures were taken in a beach in Boca Raton, Florida, USA in January. I would appreciate any help with the IDs:
1 - Royal Tern?
2 - Sandwich Tern?
3 - Imm. gull?
4 & 5 - ?
My knowledge about shorebirds is really poor (sorry).

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• MTern1.JPG
    MTern1.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 106
  • MTern2.JPG
    MTern2.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 107
  • MGull1.JPG
    MGull1.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 130
  • MSB1.JPG
    MSB1.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 143
  • MSB2.JPG
    MSB2.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 124
Thanks very much, Chubri777 and Alex!
Since the gull is Laughing, I guess this one is an immature then?
Sorry for the poor quality.

Attachments

• MGull2.JPG
    MGull2.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 119
jocateme said:

That's a different gull. First winter Herring maybe.

jocateme said:

I can't really tell the leg color from this picture, but if it's got black legs and an all-black bill, this one's a young Laughing. I'd say that the structure looks good for Laughing, too - kinda scrawny, thin necked... Head-shape is small and rounded also.

Concerning the photo in post #4:

But in comparison to the Royal tern it would be smaller if it were Laughing gull?

also it looks too spotty in colour pattern for Laughing gull... I ´d see this as one of the big gulls ...donn´t know if Am.herring or lesser blackbacked (It looks quite longwinged to me)

EDIT: and isn´t the bird on the right ,of which you see only the back half, a Laughing gull? that one´s clearly smaller...

Last edited:
The tertials are broadly white tipped, the bill two toned, wrong shape, the underparts dotted or streaked, upperparts difficult to get a grip on but the neck is streaked/dotted, plain ear coverts, no visible white eye-lids together with struckture and short p-projection exclude LG. Maybe a second winter ( wide tertial tips- if correctly show in the image) American Herring Gull.

JanJ

Thank very much for the replies, guys!
I'm posting the entire picture (for size comparison*) plus one that shows leg and bill colors.
*But notice that the Royal Tern and the Laughing Gull are further than the mystery one.

Attachments

• Gull.JPG
    Gull.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Gull_2.JPG
    Gull_2.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 86
In my opinion, the combination of extensively dark bill, dark eyes, and lack of gray on the brown mantle combine to almost surely make the Herring Gull a first winter bird (2nd CY).

Tertial tips not that wide as thought. Mantle does actually have some grey on my monitor. Worn 1st winter (2cy) seems a better choice in agreement with BL.

JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back