• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My review of MINOX HG 8x33 (MIG) (1 Viewer)

I own the MiJ 8x33, MiG 8x33, and the MiG 10x42. With all due respect I see quite a big difference between the MiJ and the MiG with the German made being much clearer and brighter and bigger. The German version is also a tad larger. That being said I'm not sure why but I almost always carry the MiJ most places I go. Probably due in part because it was my first big purchase and the eye relief. I can bury my eyes deep and get a nice view even thou it might not be superior in view. Plus the fact it is well worn and the two MiG are still almost like new. I got a deal on several adjustable Swarovski straps on eBay which they all now sport. ( love those straps fwiw ) I think you will really like your new purchase.

They're due tomorrow, a couple days sooner than I'd thought. Hope to give them a trial this weekend. And, honestly, I hope they work out for me.

There is something addictive about the mij version. It convinced me to buy my 8x32 FLs which are superb optically, however, the Minox has such superb handling that it is frequently still used, the body just fits my hands perfectly (luck really I suppose).

The focussing action is, for me, one of the best ever and certainly a lot nicer than the Zeiss.

I also own the mij 8x42 & 10x42 but the 8x33 is by far my favourite.

Unfortunately I can't justify getting the mig version ....

Last edited:
Just arrived. Missing the objective covers! First impressions (considering that I'm still bleary eyed), they're OK. Eye placement is fussier than I'd hoped, like with so many bins. The eye cups aren't quite long enough for the eye relief (meaning blackouts if you place the bins to your eye sockets). Focuser is great, not an issue regarding stiffness or precise focusing but it also works backwards from all my other binoculars (meaning counter-clockwise to reach infinity). The strap lugs dig into my hands. And much heavier feeling than the weight would indicate (neither good or bad, just an observation).

After coffee and a chance to use them a bit, I'll know by the end of the day if they're keepers. Right now, I'm kicking myself for listening to the sales guy and not just getting the Conquest HD 8x32 from the start. I may or may not have gotten along with them but I wouldn't second guess myself that maybe I should have tried the Minox, which weren't on my radar at all.

Last edited:
The eye placement for me is really, really fussy. Even worse than the Conquest HD 8x42's. It's one of those bins that has to rest on your eyebrows. Seeing as though it happens so often for me I can only assume it's my facial anatomy.

I wish I had my Nixon SE 8x32's back from Nikon (in for adjustment) to do a side by side.

These are actually pretty nice but first impressions count for a lot and my initial impression is they aren't quite what I hoped for. But like many of you have found, sometimes you need to use binoculars a little to warm up to them (like the Nixon SE's for me).

The eye placement for me is really, really fussy. Even worse than the Conquest HD 8x42's. It's one of those bins that has to rest on your eyebrows. Seeing as though it happens so often for me I can only assume it's my facial anatomy.

I wish I had my Nixon SE 8x32's back from Nikon (in for adjustment) to do a side by side.

These are actually pretty nice but first impressions count for a lot and my initial impression is they aren't quite what I hoped for. But like many of you have found, sometimes you need to use binoculars a little to warm up to them (like the Nixon SE's for me).

Now I think you've got it. Good to hear things are working out well
for you. |^|

Jerry

Thanks! I wish they were working out well for you. :hi:

Regardless, these went back. Too many ergonomic issues with eye placement and problems with stray reflections (both veiling and ghosting).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back