• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I be worried? ED82 (1 Viewer)

BigWok

Hello all,
Yesterday I was using my ED82 and was swapping eyepieces' back and forth. Well when I went to put my 30X mc on for the last time I gave it a good twist to make sure it was snug.
When I did that it seemed to turn just a little more than before. I went to twist it off and noticed the whole tube that it threads into was starting to turn with the EP.
So I turned it back to where it was and held the tube and the EP spun off no problem. It seems to work just fine with "normal" torque and I don't try and tighten the hell out of it.
So Should I be concerned about this. The tube only moved back and forth about 1/8 of a turn. Would this break the seal on the optics? Will this get worse overtime? Please ease my pain. thanks

Hello all,
Yesterday I was using my ED82 and was swapping eyepieces' back and forth. Well when I went to put my 30X mc on for the last time I gave it a good twist to make sure it was snug.
When I did that it seemed to turn just a little more than before. I went to twist it off and noticed the whole tube that it threads into was starting to turn with the EP.
So I turned it back to where it was and held the tube and the EP spun off no problem. It seems to work just fine with "normal" torque and I don't try and tighten the hell out of it.
So Should I be concerned about this. The tube only moved back and forth about 1/8 of a turn. Would this break the seal on the optics? Will this get worse overtime? Please ease my pain. thanks
Tighten it up (a rubber jar opener helps) without an eyepiece in and hold it when you screw the eyepiece in/out. I'm going to guess there's an O-ring in the body you cannot see but that's pure speculation on my part.

Thanks for the reply,
After looking at the scope last night I think you may be right in that the "tube" the eyepieces screw into may just be screwed into the body of the scope with a seal.

I think what I did was squish that seal a little more when I over tightened the eyepiece.

I think I'll just leave it as is (its real tight) and as you suggested above, will hold the tube when I screw the eyepiece in/out.
Thanks Again.

Ironic that I see this today- because the same ( close- I will explain) thing just happened to me today with my straight ED III 60 Fieldscope.

I was taking off my 24x DS ( 30x on a 82) and was going to change over to the zoom EP. Well I noticed that when screwing out the fixed 24x it was a little tighter than normal- but I kept on unscrewing it and it came out. So I set down the 24x EP, and when I went to screw in the zoom- it would not screw in, and then I realized there was no threads for the zoom to screw into. I thought- what in the world was going on. So I picked up the fixed 24x and noticed that it was a little longer and thicker on the body side of the EP. But not by a lot.

So I went to check out what was going on with the fixed EP. I figured the internal threaded part that the EP screws into was attached and came out with it. I did remember that the last time that I put on the 24x EP, I think I tightened it down pretty good ( obviously, a little too good). So I get a rubber jar opener sheet and grab the body side end of the EP and started to hold that and unscrew that end. But all that comes off is a small threaded tube part that ends up having a small round piece of glass in it with a small O ring inside it- and those pieces actually fall out. I thought right then that this does not look good. And I start to have a bit of a mini panic attack. :eek!:

Then I tell myself to just calm down- you can figure this out. I pick up the small piece of glass and realize that that part goes down inside of the small tube, and the small O ring goes on the inside on top of that. Then I pick up the fixed EP and again grab the body end of it with the rubber jar opener and hold on and screw off the rest of the threaded part that is suppose to be on the body- part the EP's thread into. Now, I am a little more calm- and I assess the situation. BTW- that internal threaded part that the EP's thread into does have a rubber O ring around it.

So I pick up the small threaded tube that has the small round glass and small O ring inside it, and I screw that part back on to the body threaded part that accepts the EP's ( after making sure glass is clean and dust free). Now I figure all is good, and all I need to do is thread that internal EP "acceptor" part back into the body. Well, it goes in fine and I give a pretty good twist on it with the rubber jar opener ( not easy to do on the straight scopes- because there is not a lot sticking out).

Then I screw in an EP into the threads of the part that I just screwed in and mount it on the tripod and have a look. And- all is as it should be. And I am a bit more calm, and feeling much better about the situation. :t:

One good thing about it is I learned how that whole assembly is put together, and won't panic if it ever happens again.

Glad to hear yours was not as complicated as mine turned out to be.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm glad I didn't have the fiasco you did Stephen B.
But it is good to know how the thing is assembled and that it does just screw into the body.
One thing thought about your scope coming apart like that. That would cause the Nitrogen Purge to leak out of the optics right? Since you opened up the scope to the air.
Thanks for the info about you experience and how to get it all back together, I will be extra careful now when changing EP's.

Apply some sillicone grease to the thread, it lubricates so that future turning will be smooth and lessen the chance of damaging the thread or torque, it also helps with waterproofing.

Apply some sillicone grease to the thread, it lubricates so that future turning will be smooth and lessen the chance of damaging the thread or torque, it also helps with waterproofing.

Thanks for the tip. Will have to give that a try. |=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back